• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This was a nice thing to wake up to.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Nothing like the smell of a good campfire in your bedroom.
IMGP4986.jpg

IMGP4987.jpg

Who left the fire going after they finished roasting weiners?

where exactly is never home? but seriously, where's the burn coming from, not in gps coordinates.

I can smell it up North too, hope they get it out quick.......great shots on KSL.com. Farmington, Utah

6799.jpg

6787.jpg

6796.jpg

Do they still use purple K ?

RichP said:
Do they still use purple K ?

For ecological reasons, air-drop fire supressants are biodegradable, act as a fertilizer and require no clean up.

Wikipedia has a fairly accurate burp at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_firefighting:

Borate salts were used in the past to fight wildfires but were found to sterilize the soil and were toxic to animals. Newer retardants use ammonium sulfate or ammonium polyphosphate with attapulgite clay thickener or diammonium phosphate with a guar gum derivative thickener. These are not only less toxic but act as fertilizers to help the regrowth of plants after the fire (however, the retardants can be toxic to fish if accidentally dropped in water and then exposed to sunlight). Fire retardants contain wetting agents, preservatives and rust inhibitors and are colored red with ferric oxide to mark where they have been dropped. Brand names of fire retardants for aerial application are Fire-Trol and Phos-Chek.

Geepfreak said:
It looks red to me. :D

ferric oxide.

I had a helicopter drop a bucket of water on my once, but it didn't have any additives. It was just water he'd dipped out of a local pond. By the time it gets down to you it's just a very short, very heavy rain. The retardants won't hurt you, but they try not to drop it on ground crews.

Handlebars said:
That's a comfortable distance compared to the one out my window a few years ago!
wow, no kidding. One thing we got going for us is the mountain is all above us and usually it burns up.

Flat land fires scare the crap out of me.

When I was hauling cars we used to deal with this guy in San Diego. He lost his house a few years ago in that masive fire they had.

He said he was watching TV with his wife when they seen an orange glow against their wall.

They didn't even have time to get the pets, they hopped in the car and took off. He even lost his 70 Cuda that was in the garage :(

I saw him a week later, he was living in a borrowed motorhome and was waiting for the government to get him some money for clothes. He didn't even get his wallet out and with no identification he found it hard to get any money from the bank.

GSequoia said:
I trust that's not endangering your Geostash challenge?
No, thats a mile from my house and a mountain range away from the Uintahs.

Fortunatly they have got rain almost everyday and aren't suffering from the heat and dryness like everywhere else.

Back