• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of going to new tires/wheels. Looking for opinions/suggestions

GreenXJ24

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I bought this Jeep a couple summers ago, and it currently has a 2 inch OME kit with a T-case drop. I don't do much offroading, just some mild camping trails once in a while (upstate NY). In the winter i fight snow, which the Xj has done great in.

Currently I have 16x7 Cherokee Icon wheels, that i'm pretty sure are original to the vehicle. Tires are Hercules Terra Trac A/Ts, 225/75/16. Local shop recommended new tires by end of summer, at 4/32" tread I think.

So now i'm starting to shop for new tires, which I'm kinda glad to do, since the tires now seem too small for the lift IMO. I'd like to go to something closer to 30.5", and maybe 9.5-10" wide. I'm also thinking about going to wheels with less backspacing, to widen the stance and clear a larger set of tires better. Was looking at Cragar soft 8s. I really like the icons, but they are pretty beat, and idk how I feel about doing wheel spacers.

Should I go to a wheel with more backspacing? and should I stay at 16x7?
Black steels? or something nicer?
Looking for tire recommendations, and size recommendations. I'm curious about the new BFG KO2s. Looking for something a little meaner that can handle the snow.

Also, as the lift sits right now, there is a bit of rake, even with a full of gas. Thinking off adding OME 10mm spacers up front. Thoughts?

Planning to post pics, but I guess I have to be an official member first. Working on it.

Thank you in advance for any input!

245/75 16's on your existing wheels will look good.

that height/width will rub on your stock LCAs. They will clear if you do WJ arms, and it will ride real nice.

my wife's jeep is essentially the same as yours, with that exact setup
DSCF2204.jpg

Don't waste your time with bfgs. 16 are fine. I would go with 245/75r16 or maybe even a 265. The 245 will be about 30.5 x 9.5. Best AT tire I have ever run are the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Otherwise I hear good things about the Cooper Discoverer AT3
If you can afford it, consider running some Jks or Currie ACOS up front. They are adjustable and include a better than stock bumpstop

245/75 16's on your existing wheels will look good.

that height/width will rub on your stock LCAs. They will clear if you do WJ arms, and it will ride real nice.

my wife's jeep is essentially the same as yours, with that exact setup
DSCF2204.jpg

nice lookin' jeep! Those do look good, but I feel like i'd prefer a wider stance. Is that silly? if not, spacers, or or less backspacing?

Thanks!

Don't waste your time with bfgs. 16 are fine. I would go with 245/75r16 or maybe even a 265. The 245 will be about 30.5 x 9.5. Best AT tire I have ever run are the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Otherwise I hear good things about the Cooper Discoverer AT3
If you can afford it, consider running some Jks or Currie ACOS up front. They are adjustable and include a better than stock bumpstop

245/75/16 sounds ideal. 16x7 wheel is wide enough? (don't know the limits of wheel width to tire size)

what's the problem with the KO2s? I had been hearing bad things about the last few years of KOs, but nothing bad about the KO2s yet

never thought about the ACOS! i'll look into those. could be within my price range

For what BFG's cost there are better tires. Really the only thing I see being "that different" with the BFG KO2's is that they have a better outer tread/sidewall protection.
I used to be on the BFG bandwagon before I used and found better tires.
As far as wheel width, 7 is fine. I have 31x10.5R15 MTR-k on my ZJ Canyons on my XJ and wouldn't want any more width. Also have stock 5 spoke stock steelies with Bridgestone Dueler AT 693's on my MJ.
8" would work, but when you air down the tires wont squat as much as far as having more surface area that contacts the ground. With the stock backspaced (and width)wheels, they tuck in the fender better. IF you really want less BS, and you like your wheels, I would go with some wheel spacers. Can be had cheap enough.

Some people swear by their BFG's, and that's fine. Ultimately the choice is yours. One thing to add as something to consider. Most BFG tires, especially their AT tires run SMALL. I know that not all tires are created equal, and heights vary on each.
Tire rack seems to have a decent amount of info, spec-wise, on tires. A lot of places price match as well. SO consider shopping around tirerack, tires.com, treaddepot.com, etc.

I'm running Dodge Charger steel wheels, which are 17x7, with 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers. They're ten ply and American made. Had to cut and roll the rear fenders, but kept my flares. Also lifted about 2 1/2" for clearance. This was half way through new paint and center caps. It wouldn't squat so much in the back if not for the Snap On top chest.

0524151956.jpg

I wouldn't put Coopers on anything intended to exceed 55mph.

Also, I bought my wheels with 215/65s for $100, including an extra pair of tires, and ran them for about a year or so before upgrading to 265/70 Michelin LTX A/S. The Infinity car tires ran great on the Jeep, excellent on the highway. The heavy duty Michelins were free pull offs which lasted for years, replaced by the NTGs for $300 on Craigslist.

That's why I run 17s, because they're cheap and abundant. Be sure to check your DOT date codes when buying used tires.

Last edited:
For what BFG's cost there are better tires. Really the only thing I see being "that different" with the BFG KO2's is that they have a better outer tread/sidewall protection.
I used to be on the BFG bandwagon before I used and found better tires.
As far as wheel width, 7 is fine. I have 31x10.5R15 MTR-k on my ZJ Canyons on my XJ and wouldn't want any more width. Also have stock 5 spoke stock steelies with Bridgestone Dueler AT 693's on my MJ.
8" would work, but when you air down the tires wont squat as much as far as having more surface area that contacts the ground. With the stock backspaced (and width)wheels, they tuck in the fender better. IF you really want less BS, and you like your wheels, I would go with some wheel spacers. Can be had cheap enough.

Some people swear by their BFG's, and that's fine. Ultimately the choice is yours. One thing to add as something to consider. Most BFG tires, especially their AT tires run SMALL. I know that not all tires are created equal, and heights vary on each.
Tire rack seems to have a decent amount of info, spec-wise, on tires. A lot of places price match as well. SO consider shopping around tirerack, tires.com, treaddepot.com, etc.

Thanks for info! And yes i've been shopping around. Local shop says he can pricematch, and i've been able to find the KO2s for $180 IIRC. I am still looking into others though. I'll check out the bridgestones and other tires you mentioned

I've been running BFG A/T KO's for 10+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles on Jeeps and pick up trucks. Only real issue I've ever had is they can throw gravel so if you drive on a lot of gravel roads you may find they beat the paint off the fender liners. I've gotten as much as 90,000 miles on them on the Jeep when I was doing a lot of highway miles. I've had lesser tires break belts on some roads and the BFG's didn't care. I had the Dueler A/T Revo's on one of my trucks and don't remember why I never bought them again. Some people like Firestone Destination, Yokohama's, or General AT2. I've never heard anyone say they are better than the BFG, but people usually say they are cheaper.

I have run both the KOs and Bridgestone Revos and prefer the KOs. They run longer and handle better. At one time I had a set of each, in
31 X10.50-15, and could swap back and forth.
The new KO2 is supposed to be even better in snow, a consideration for your location.

I'm waiting for the new KO2s, in the 33 X10.50-15s to be released, my Jeep needs tires. Since our XJ gets used regularly on rough roads, I like the taller sidewalls that you get with a 15" diameter rim .
More side wall flex equals a better ride and more traction, especially when aired down. A street machine will handle better with the shorter sidewall, provide by a 16" wheel.

If going with a 31" diameter tire, I would suggest a 4.5" backspacing, enough for the wider tire to clear the lower control arms and still stay covered by the stock flairs.
Any less BS might get you into trouble with the local cops.
Stock rims can be used by adjusting the steering stops or, better, installing aftermarket lower CAs.

The ko2 has more than what you can see thats new about it.

However, i coudnt find an acceptable size/load range combination to fit my application, the tire they advertise for wranglers are load range e! wtf?

My good friend who introduced me to Moab and the rock crawling scene, some 20+ years ago is now the GM for Grand Tire in Moab, UT. He has pitted multiple Baja 1000's for BFG and is very knowledgable about all tire brands out there.

When I was in Moab during Jeep Safari this year, I asked him about the new KO2 and he explained that it is a completely new tire design, inside and out. Stronger casing and sidewall, improved rubber compound, higher mileage rating and the obvious, more aggressive tread design.

He can run any tire he wants on his personal rigs and work truck and he's been running KO2's on his FS Chevy 4dr truck, logging 40k plus miles on them, had it axle deep in mud multiple times and the KO2's performed flawlessly.

I've run Maxxis MT style treads for the past 3 sets, getting 48k miles out of my last set of Bighorns, but I'm DD my rig again so with the release of the new KO2, I'm leaning back towards the BFG brand when I need tires this fall.

Buy what you want, but for the record, there's more to the new KO2 than a face lift.

Oh, then there's this........ http://www.pirate4x4.com/news/putting-the-new-bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ko2-to-the-ultimate-test/

I have run both the KOs and Bridgestone Revos and prefer the KOs. They run longer and handle better. At one time I had a set of each, in
31 X10.50-15, and could swap back and forth.
The new KO2 is supposed to be even better in snow, a consideration for your location.

I'm waiting for the new KO2s, in the 33 X10.50-15s to be released, my Jeep needs tires. Since our XJ gets used regularly on rough roads, I like the taller sidewalls that you get with a 15" diameter rim .
More side wall flex equals a better ride and more traction, especially when aired down. A street machine will handle better with the shorter sidewall, provide by a 16" wheel.

If going with a 31" diameter tire, I would suggest a 4.5" backspacing, enough for the wider tire to clear the lower control arms and still stay covered by the stock flairs.
Any less BS might get you into trouble with the local cops.
Stock rims can be used by adjusting the steering stops or, better, installing aftermarket lower CAs.

Local cops not a problem due to no restrictions on flares in NY (last time i looked)
4.5" would be ideal, what's a good rim in that size? Also considering moab rims (Q-tec brand), as they are 5" BS, which is a little less than the 5.25" icons. Do you think that would find 245/75R16 KO2s well?

The ko2 has more than what you can see thats new about it.

However, i coudnt find an acceptable size/load range combination to fit my application, the tire they advertise for wranglers are load range e! wtf?

yeah that's another problem i keep running into! all load range E. all I need is C lol

My good friend who introduced me to Moab and the rock crawling scene, some 20+ years ago is now the GM for Grand Tire in Moab, UT. He has pitted multiple Baja 1000's for BFG and is very knowledgable about all tire brands out there.

When I was in Moab during Jeep Safari this year, I asked him about the new KO2 and he explained that it is a completely new tire design, inside and out. Stronger casing and sidewall, improved rubber compound, higher mileage rating and the obvious, more aggressive tread design.

He can run any tire he wants on his personal rigs and work truck and he's been running KO2's on his FS Chevy 4dr truck, logging 40k plus miles on them, had it axle deep in mud multiple times and the KO2's performed flawlessly.

I've run Maxxis MT style treads for the past 3 sets, getting 48k miles out of my last set of Bighorns, but I'm DD my rig again so with the release of the new KO2, I'm leaning back towards the BFG brand when I need tires this fall.

Buy what you want, but for the record, there's more to the new KO2 than a face lift.

Oh, then there's this........ http://www.pirate4x4.com/news/putting-the-new-bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ko2-to-the-ultimate-test/

very cool post! i think i want to give them a try. current problem is finding a suitable load range

nice lookin' jeep! Those do look good, but I feel like i'd prefer a wider stance. Is that silly? if not, spacers, or or less backspacing?

Thanks!

some TJ Moab wheels will do that. They're 16x8.
Be aware that if you go any wider than that the tire will eat your fender when you flex it.
Same jeep and tires but with Moab wheels
IMG_20150406_185238_705 by nsjames805, on Flickr

as compared to the other one in the driveway on stock KJ steel 16x7s and bridgestone 245/75
IMG_20150406_185258_086 by nsjames805, on Flickr

FWIW I've been nothing but impressed with the Hankook ATM RF10s on my wifes junk. They are magical in the winter, and still have tread siping after 3 years and 30K miles of DD/trail use with a rear locker. They're starting to make a little more noise now, but when new they were dead silent. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a DD/all terrain type tire. In fact I'm picking up a set to run on the winter beater.

edit:
I put P rated hankooks on the wife's. Rides nice, and still exceed the load that you should be putting in an XJ.
Something like 2300lbs per.

Last edited:
Just bought the same Hankook tires (245 75r16) and they are some of the best tire bang for the buck. I set myself a $600 budget, and with the certificate from Discount, I was over by $35. Not bad at all.

What it really comes down to on tire brand is your preference. I had a specific dollar amount set and wanted to get the most tire for that money. If $ is no object, then get the top of the line bfg or wrangler that you like. I searched on this site extensively before deciding on the best size for my jeep, and overwhelmingly the consensus was on 16" rims, 245 70 or 75 was the answer. I chose 75 to match the tires already on the rims.

I think you'll be happy with that size. Depending on your preference is the key to decide if you'll be happy with the brand.

As they say - Your millage may vary.

Back