• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thicker Rear Swaybars

bjoehandley said:
I've wondered about that myself, I was wondering if I could get away with all Urethane (sp?) in the back and maybe fresh rubber or a fresh rubber/urethane mix on the front.
Wow! Someone that actually understands the importance and need of a rear sway bar...... I don't think you really need anything heavier than stock.

I run my street tires at 36PSI as well and hook my rear sway bar up when towing. I find that with 5" of lift and towing a 25' trailer, it helps tremendously in keeping the tail from wagging the dog.

Definately get some front urathane bushings, especially the ones that you can grease. It makes the front more firm and the grease keeps them quite while providing smooth movement.

The rear, I haven't really found any direct replacement urathane bushings for, so I took an extra set and using an exacto knife and dremmil, made an excellent fitting set.

boredchimp said:
He never said thats what he's doing.
The "too" he added is to indicate that its a coincidence that his airshocks (30-40psi) and tires (36psi) are near the same pressure.
Context helps.:)

OK so I did actually put that down, I begining to think I miss typed my response............................
Both Dad and I have noticed (he's been using the same RS5000/AirShocks Fr/Rr as well as 35-36psi
in 235/75/R15 "all terrain" tires on both his XJ's for well over 200K miles and for 15 years) that 30-36 PSI in the Shocks seems to work best for ride, handling, general weight bearing (unless there's a heavy load and a full tank of gas), etc

rstarch345 said:
Wow! Someone that actually understands the importance and need of a rear sway bar...... I don't think you really need anything heavier than stock.

It's funny you should say that, Iwas telling Dad about me posting this and the responses I'd gotten, he thought that pulling the bar on the back of a lifted truck was worse than pulling it on a DD like all of ours are since you're raising the CG on the truck.

Last edited:
Old thread but does anyone know if that ACO-420 sway bar will fit on a 4.5" lifted rig with stock 16" wheels (32" tires)?

Back