• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8l gears?

EastonTexas

NAXJA Forum User
I know it's not a well regarded engine in the xj world and there is also other variables with suspension, axels, Etc. But I was wondering if anyone has ran the 2.8l with 35s, 3 speed auto and 5.13s?

I'm not sure what axles you have.
I assume an HP Dana 30 in the front, but there were several options for the rear in those years.
As far as I know, the lowest gear sets available for the Dana 30 are 4.88's.
Also, and again my knowledge of the older XJ's is sketchy, but the axle shafts were quite week as well.
With only 115bhp, you definately need all the help you can get though.
If you end up doing this, please post your results.
My only advice would be to not have a heavy foot on the skinny pedal.
Mike

I'm not sure what axles you have.
I assume an HP Dana 30 in the front, but there were several options for the rear in those years.
As far as I know, the lowest gear sets available for the Dana 30 are 4.88's.
Also, and again my knowledge of the older XJ's is sketchy, but the axle shafts were quite week as well.
With only 115bhp, you definately need all the help you can get though.
If you end up doing this, please post your results.
My only advice would be to not have a heavy foot on the skinny pedal.
Mike

A quick google search will pull up many vendor options for 5:31 gears for a high pinon D30. The danger with this ratio in a D30 is the gear tooth contact area is so small that high torque situations make it prone to tooth breakage.

Back