• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostats!!!!

Well I got the T-stat out of the 89 that overheated New years morning, and the T-stat is/was permanently stuck closed, dead. Still do not know if the plastic tank on the radiator busted first, or the T-stat died first.

It was a cheap plastic tank radiator and a Duralast AutoZone T-stat, 180 F. This is the first T-stat I have ever had go bad (closed completely, won't open even at boiling) in 35 years.

I bought a 180 F, Mr Gasket balanced, high flow T-stat last week, planing to replace this one anyway, but tonight I decided the AZ hoses I bought looked like crap, so I went to O'reileys, and got some better (thicker wall) premium Gates radiator hoses, and a 180 T-stat made in Israel of all places!!! The box said Murray Plus+ on the brand? #3358, and 13261Won the box.

None of them, the old one, or the 2 new ones, has a jiggler valve, or bleed hole etc, so I will probably use the one made in Israel and drill two holes, 180 degrees apart, 12 and 6 O'clock.

, and a 180 T-stat made in Israel of all places!!! The box said Murray Plus+ on the brand? #3358, and 13261Won the box.

None of them, the old one, or the 2 new ones, has a jiggler valve, or bleed hole etc, so I will probably use the one made in Israel and drill two holes, 180 degrees apart, 12 and 6 O'clock.

Bit of googling is interesting ...

Murray is a rebadged MotoRad

MotoRad is Fishman Engineering

Fishman Eng. is Israeli,

MotoRad have economy and premium version thermostats ....
If you have to drill a 12:00 hole ... Im guessing Murray thermostats are the economy version MotoRads .... as all the Tridon rebadged, MotoRad ones down here have the jiggle pin.

Damn crossdressers .... :D

LOL, especially the Israeli Crossdressers, LOL!

I doubt it's very cold in Houston in Jan/Feb (so this probably won't concern you or carves much), but I have noticed that since drilling holes in my tstat, my minimum operating temp has dropped several degrees. At times this year (and it hasn't gotten below 8* yet) I've seen my water temp dip to around 180, while it wouldn't drop below 195 before adding the holes. While it may be necessary on the earlier models that don't purge air well, I don't think I'll be doing that again. I like toasty heat when the mercury drops below 0.

I doubt it's very cold in Houston in Jan/Feb (so this probably won't concern you or carves much), but I have noticed that since drilling holes in my tstat, my minimum operating temp has dropped several degrees. At times this year (and it hasn't gotten below 8* yet) I've seen my water temp dip to around 180, while it wouldn't drop below 195 before adding the holes. While it may be necessary on the earlier models that don't purge air well, I don't think I'll be doing that again. I like toasty heat when the mercury drops below 0.

LOL, we usually decide to wear shirts in Houston when it gets cold in the dead of winter. Sometimes we even roll up the windows, LOL! Not sure about Carves, since he lives Down Under, :D LOL!

LOL, we usually decide to wear shirts in Houston when it gets cold in the dead of winter. Sometimes we even roll up the windows, LOL! Not sure about Carves, since he lives Down Under, :D LOL!

A shirt ??? ... I didnt realize you Texans had such ettiquette ... :D

Nasty cold winters where I am .... Gets down to at least ... 30* ... some mornings ...

and Hubs97xj .... too many extra holes apart from a 12:00 air bleeder - may cause that issue.

Mine has two holes; I realized I drilled one at the bottom (forgot to check the orientation of the notch in the Stant Superstat I'm using), and drilled another at the actual top. Stroke of genius, that was.

I've been drilling two 1/16" holes in thermostats on installation now for at least 15 years, and haven't had any trouble. In any vehicle.

Install one hole at 12:00 and the other at 6:00 for vertically-mounted thermostats. If they're flat, just put it in with the two holes 180* apart. It's still helpful, since you don't have the "traffic jam" (that's what the "wiggler" is meant to prevent" with air trying to go one way and coolant trying to go the other through the same hole.

I'd consider 1/8" for those holes to be pretty much the absolute maximum - I go with 1/16" as fixed policy.

WRT Texas Winters - I did Basic down there, so I know what you're talking about. I grew up in Northern IN - I'm primarily Scottish, and I'm a cold-Wx critter anyhow. I may put on a shirt for snowball fights, I generally wore shorts and sandals. I can't help but laugh when I see people out here bundled up like it's actually cold - this is the Bay Area, it don't get cold here! Talk to me when you wake up one morning, and see 4-6 feet of snow that wasn't there when you went to bed...

Winters in Oz are, as I recall, similar to winters in TX - just six months' difference...

Back