• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA) - Underground Mine Fire Burning for 40 Years

Backup / for any female friend of mine (Finnish):
408673022_s49iy-L.jpg
damn they must have big noses in Finland

Short list of gases in Centralia:
-Carbon Monoxide
-Sulfuric Acid
-Sulfur Dioxide

And as Jon mentioned, the removal of the horrible rotten eggs/bad cat piss smell.

Photos (not mine):
2298524783_f59b5bcf53.jpg

2298525957_7a88d9b262.jpg

sign-on-southern-side-of-detoured-61.JPG

Last edited:
Hey im from west chester pa and always wanted to go up there. any places to camp around there?? is it even worth making it an over night trip?

I'm sure there are many places to camp in that area. There's a few Parks within 20-30 mins. IMO it's only worth staying for the weekend IF it's summer. Go up on a Fri after work, set up your camping gear, chill, Saturday morning take cruise around Centralia, do a little wheeling, then go to Knoebels afterwards for the night. It's a fun as heck experience.

http://www.knoebels.com/

Yes, you can join the gas mask club...

Here's Jon from last year (I think this is his military issued mask?):
233182619_q5pGd-XL.jpg

I have been to knobels before and it is a ton of fun. I will be back when it starts getting warmer so that should work out good. looks like a military mask...they all do the same thing i guess. anyway thanks for the advice on when to go. I think I have seen your xj around town also.

Back