• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling/Exploring Centralia PA.

few more :)

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00089.JPG

man, what an incredible and heat-wrenching story. i never even heard of this place. kinda reminds me of that game and movie, silent hill.

kinda creepy

The vein under there is one of the largest known. Its estimated it will burn for at least the next 500 years. Growing up my aunt told me stories of her friend going to her basment to find the stairs gone. a sink hole opened up in the basment that was just a little smaller then the foundation. She damn near fell in if her Dad wasn't right behind her to grab her. My girlfriend grew up in Natalie wich is right up the mountin from centralia. She lived right in front of a drive in theatre which is now paint ball thunder. She said they had sinkholes up there too. She told me about one that opened up under a road between Natalie and Centralia that you couldn't see the bottom. Its an awsome place to explore just please have common sense and a real fear of what could happen. The burning coal creates the holes and cracks and at the bottom of them is the biggest coal furnace in the world. I DON'T WANT TO HERE ABOUT ANYONE FROM NAXJA GETTING HURT OR KILLED THERE PLEASE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU GO.

This thread forced me to read about Centralia now I think I need to have a road trip. according to google maps its 2753 miles from Seattle and 40hrs total drive time.

WaXJ_Skier said:
This thread forced me to read about Centralia now I think I need to have a road trip. according to google maps its 2753 miles from Seattle and 40hrs total drive time.
Im seriously thinking about one too, Im trying to get some friends to come along. But that is a seriously long drive! Worth it though.

jesusjeep19 said:
Im seriously thinking about one too, Im trying to get some friends to come along. But that is a seriously long drive! Worth it though.
keep me informed on what you are doing maybe we can work out meeting up there. My only concern is getting enough people in my rig to make the gas situation doable. 11 tanks to get there ~$60 a tank, thats a but ton of money to get there and then theres the trip back assuming we don't get swallowed by the burning coal mine

You could could fly in to my place and we could take one of my Jeeps and some of my buddies and drive up there. Its only an hour from my house. Hopefully by that time I will have both Cherokees back on the road but if not I have one good one and my buddies have other jeeps.

There are a few random holes hidden all over there. They are deep, you won't be able to get out if one opens up below you or you fall into one. The gas coming up from the ground could kill you. If your in a hole the gas would fill the hole. It's a neat place and I love driving through it but if I were to go exploring I'd do it on foot with a bunch of people with me.

WaXJ_Skier said:
keep me informed on what you are doing maybe we can work out meeting up there. My only concern is getting enough people in my rig to make the gas situation doable. 11 tanks to get there ~$60 a tank, thats a but ton of money to get there and then theres the trip back assuming we don't get swallowed by the burning coal mine
Man thats like $660 one way for gas! I think it would be alot cheaper to fly in to texinteg's place and go from there. Thanks texinteg for offering a meet place. Im gonna see if I can figure out how much a trip would be. Im thinking sometime later this summer I could probly do a trip.

readin this thread made me want to read about it... now i want to grab my camera and go take some B&W pictures out there once I acquire/fix my new jeep. BTW might be a smart idea to go with a few people and tie ropes to one another, just a suggestion :p

90XJay said:
readin this thread made me want to read about it... now i want to grab my camera and go take some B&W pictures out there once I acquire/fix my new jeep. BTW might be a smart idea to go with a few people and tie ropes to one another, just a suggestion :p
Ahaha, chain gang huh? A little over kill don't ya think? Haha

Back