• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The New Project

Andy in Pa. said:
You need to change TO oil?? What were you running before? Corn syrup??

A.
i hear cooking oil works pretty good:D

here is an updated pic..... couldn't get it started today. I am going to swap in a new battery and see how that goes.

IMG_0085.jpg

Well, she is out of the garage. The windshield was replaced yesterday. The front bumper is on and i trimmed the fenders. The rear recovery point (stok tow hook and bracket) as well as a replacement stock rear bumper are on. I did a t-case drop after breaking all for bolts/studs (what a pain in the ass). I also installed a warn tcase skid and factory gas tank skid. The list of things to do is now pretty short. I need to install the rockrails, stereo, and cb. Also the brake pedal is soft and there is an imbalance between the front and rears. I am going to have at the brakes on sat. They are the only thing standing between it and inspection. Rausch is only one week away so i better get moving. In the meantime, my junk broke on tues night and I had to tow it home. I think the coil is bad so i need to replace that. Here are some pics from last night in the rain. I will get some better ones over the weekend.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, John - can't wait to see it in action.

Good luck with the brakes.

lobsterdmb said:
Well, she is out of the garage. . . .

Wow - can I have it back?

Who knew there was so much potential?

Apparently you did - nice job.

Bet you wish I had left the original D44 on it, dontcha????

MG :patriot:

God that color looks great when its wet! The two together look great, cant wait to see them in action!

JoeShmo said:
God that color looks great when its wet! The two together look great, cant wait to see them in action!
x2

Looks like it came together really well. Seeing you make that much progress makes me want to get back to work on fixing my rig...

Mike in NJ said:
Wow - can I have it back?

Who knew there was so much potential?

Apparently you did - nice job.

Bet you wish I had left the original D44 on it, dontcha????

MG :patriot:

Nah, I am content with the Chrysler 8.25 that is now under it. Hopefully next weekend I will get some good shots of its first wheeling trip.

brakes are fixed as of today (even the light is off)!

Still need to do before next weekend:
Get it inspected
Install CB
Install rock rails
Set up rear bumpstops

Glad you solved the brake issue.

And .....

"MEDIUM BLUE METALLIC"

Extra Cost - and a Cherokee-only option in 1987

:paperwork

MG

ok, Got the rock rails installed and cb installed today as well as some other odds and ends. However, I am now having an issue with the parking lights that I will have at tomorrow.

Left to complete before this weekend:
Change front Diff fluid
Fabricate rear bumpstops
Get this damn thing inspected

Well, we got it finished on friday night at midnight. So of course we took it wheeling on saturday morning. Discovered the CB needs to be better tuned and the radio doesn't quite work right. We also broke one of the raised rear axle shock mounts. Guess my weld didn't quite hold up. The suspension worked great. Here are a few pics. See the NAC-fest forum for the rest.

PICT0571.jpg

PICT0572.jpg

PICT0577.jpg

So let me get this right, an 87 XJ had a radio problem and a broken shock mount and drove home, but that brand new looking Hummer had to get taken out of there on a flatbed?:doh:

Hummer wasn't with us but we found out he broke a tie rod and cv joint. Couldn't pass up the picture opportunity :jester:

Actually the 87 XJ only cracked the shock mount on the trail (where I had welded it). We flat towed it out and back. The shock mount actually broke the rest of the way off while being towed home.

Nice rebuild!! It was certainly a diamond in the rough to say the least! I have a '95 that certainly is a work in progress, but this gives much needed motivation.

Best of luck with it

Back