• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The New Project

lobsterdmb said:
. . . Got both rear shocks out without breaking any bolts. . .

I'm impressed! - I never could get them to move in the 6 years I had her, figured they'd snap. With no easy way to replace the shocks - that's why I left her stock and eventually gave her to you! That, plus I could never figure out how to find 5th gear on her. Couldn't move the gearshift up and to the right. Actually, it kept moving in a straight line all the time! :D

Looks good Johnny - I'm glad she'll finally reach her potential. Looking forward to seeing her on the trails.

BTW, "Spinnaker Blue" nonwithstanding, her given name was "Blue Too", to distinguish her from my original '87 2dr Pioneer - "Blue" - who was restored to greatness by CHW. (I was so blessed - :clap: two '87 2Drs, BOTH with factory D44's!!!)

No, "Red" ain't ever going to anybody and my wife will never let me do anything with "White". So, the All American 2DR 5spd Fleet will remain intact.

Keep up the good work.

MG :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
I'm impressed! - I never could get them to move in the 6 years I had her, figured they'd snap. With no easy way to replace the shocks - that's why I left her stock and eventually gave her to you! That, plus I could never figure out how to find 5th gear on her. Couldn't move the gearshift up and to the right. Actually, it kept moving in a straight line all the time! :D

Looks good Johnny - I'm glad she'll finally reach her potential. Looking forward to seeing her on the trails.

BTW, "Spinnaker Blue" nonwithstanding, her given name was "Blue Too", to distinguish her from my original '87 2dr Pioneer - "Blue" - who was restored to greatness by CHW. (I was so blessed - :clap: two '87 2Drs, BOTH with factory D44's!!!)

No, "Red" ain't ever going to anybody and my wife will never let me do anything with "White". So, the All American 2DR 5spd Fleet will remain intact.

Keep up the good work.

MG :patriot:

I happenned to remember reading somewhere that using an impact gun reduces their chances of breaking. Low and behold it worked.

ok, well I got the other rear spring in on weds but found a rusted out floor above the hanger. Spent some time replacing that. The rest of the floor seems to be in decent shape. On thurs, I changed the diff fluid and inspected the brakes on the C8.25 that is going in. Then I managed to wrestle that in by myself (mental note, next time get some help!). Here are some pics with the now raked rear end.

47b7dd37b3127cce98548656f1e300000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

47b7dd37b3127cce9854865770d200000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

47b7dd37b3127cce98548654f1e100000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

John,

That diff cover is not nearly bright enough. I'd suggest you paint it a color everyone will be able to see. Just trying to be helpful.

--Matt

lobsterdmb said:
I happenned to remember reading somewhere that using an impact gun reduces their chances of breaking. Low and behold it worked.

yeah unless your dumb @ss friend has the impact in forward instead of reverse. Ask me how I know, considering I had to drill and tap the old one out for him.

egon said:
John,

That diff cover is not nearly bright enough. I'd suggest you paint it a color everyone will be able to see. Just trying to be helpful.

--Matt

Hey, mine is red..... if I can paint one green I'll have a traffic signal!

lobsterdmb said:
Hey, mine is red..... if I can paint one green I'll have a traffic signal!
Ask the other Rob for his old one... bright green...

Having a hand with the rear axle would have been nice, I found out the same way when I swapped in my 44. I told Rob I'd deliver my old 8.25 to him...then realized I had to load it in the back of my XJ alone...:doh:

nhrocker said:
Ask the other Rob for his old one... bright green...

Having a hand with the rear axle would have been nice, I found out the same way when I swapped in my 44. I told Rob I'd deliver my old 8.25 to him...then realized I had to load it in the back of my XJ alone...:doh:
geez its like NAC musical axles, i got your old, axle, mambo#5 gots my old 44 (i should of never sold that), im sure he enjoyed the 4 differnt coats of paint on the diffcover

Last edited:
Since were talking about NAC musical axles, i've got Vetteboy's old 44 :p

And i hear ya on doing the swap alone, i did the 44 in my driveway in 30 degree weather, with no help except my buddy who showed up 3 hours late to help me bleed the brakes. I cant imagine having to move the big boy axles around alone.

Made some progess on friday and sat. The front suspension is now complete. I still have to do the brakes front and rear. I will get some better pics in the daylight tomorrow.

47b7dd10b3127cce9854865b2bf400000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

47b7dd10b3127cce98548658aac700000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

47b7dd10b3127cce985486592bf600000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

47b7dd10b3127cce98548646aad900000017108AcMmLVo1cNS

lobsterdmb said:
Made some progess on friday and sat. The front suspension is now complete. I still have to do the brakes front and rear. I will get some better pics in the daylight tomorrow.
The Chief is looking good. What does she think of it?

She likes it. She helped me with the rear suspension. We are ordering a front bumper and rockrails on monday. Then all we need to get is a tcase skid, a rim for the spare tire, and a windshield. The new official name for this project is Project Phin :yelclap:

Made some more progress in the past few days. I got the brake lines replaced and brakes working, hooked p the e-brake, installed a drive shaft, set up from bumpstops, and mounted the 31" BFG At's.

Now I am waiting for the JCR bumper and sliders to show up.

To make it road worthy and passing inspection, I still need to mount a front passenger flare, finish the floor repair (ran out of sheet metal) and replace the windshield. I need to change to oil too!

I will get some updated pics on tuesday.

lobsterdmb said:
I need to change to oil too!
Lift, tires, windshield, body work...that's all pretty easy. Changing the oil, you sure you can handle it? You might want to get a professional to do that... :laugh3:

Back