• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The most important option or upgrade

How is the SPOT different from carrying a GPS-enabled smartphone? Can't you be tracked that way?

the spot basically works anywhere even the GPS in most cell phones doesn't. and it is linked to search and rescue directly.

Nice. So if you active the 'I fell off a cliff and broke both my legs and can't walk button' who exactly gets notified? Does it go to central dispatch and then they patch into the most local 911?

Nice. So if you active the 'I fell off a cliff and broke both my legs and can't walk button' who exactly gets notified? Does it go to central dispatch and then they patch into the most local 911?

it goes to SPOT. they then send the info to the nearest emergency services.

Doesn't the GPS work in phones when there isn't cell coverage?

theoretically, but they still don't work in nearly as many places as these. I know my iphone and my friends droid did not have GPS tracking on the rubicon but my spot did.

it goes to SPOT. they then send the info to the nearest emergency services.

Yes and no. There are three basic functions. The first is a regular check in function. This sends an email or text out to a group of numbers you put into the system before you leave home. You can put up to 20 different contacts in that group. The second is a help function. This also goes to your group. It can be different from the first group if you want. You can have all kinds of predetermined messages or if you have one of the units that works with your cell phone you can customize the message but they charge $.50 for those. Pretty cheap if you are stranded. The third is an emergency message. This has its own button, you don't need to do anything fancy just pop the cover, hit the button and it sends a beacon with your gps coords to spots call center and they call the proper emergency services for your area. If you are in the middle of nowhere and you hit that button you'll most likely get a life flight heli response that you'll have to pay for so its best if you only use it in a real bad situation.

The only reason you need your phone is to type out a custom message as the spot unit itself only has three buttons. Everything goes through a sat service. Cellular has nothing to do with their service at all.

If a cell phone has a separate GPS chip on the board, it will. Many older cell phones used triangulation from several towers to determine position, not sure about all the new ones, and if they all have stand alone GPS. It doesn't really matter. Having a phone that can tell you exactly where you are doesn't matter if you can't use it to call anybody and tell them. I regularly wheel north of Phoenix and it's pretty common for my phone to have no signal for most of the trip.

As mentioned above, the spot is Satellite based, and doesn't have coverage issues. You have to be in a pretty deep ravine before you loose signal on one of those, and even if you do, the spot system records position every 10 minutes. If you stop responding to your friends/relatives, they can send help even if you don't call for it.

So at least the rescue team has a good idea where to look for the remains. :D

As for the OP: My job for the last 8 years has me climbing two or three flights of stairs 5-8 times a day. I started hiking last year after several years of no physical exercise(outside of work). The first long hike I did wiped me out at about 10.5 miles, clear terrain, clear weather. I can do better now, but 5 or 6 miles in snow/sub freezing temps would have easily killed me a year ago.

Yes and no. There are three basic functions. The first is a regular check in function. This sends an email or text out to a group of numbers you put into the system before you leave home. You can put up to 20 different contacts in that group. The second is a help function. This also goes to your group. It can be different from the first group if you want. You can have all kinds of predetermined messages or if you have one of the units that works with your cell phone you can customize the message but they charge $.50 for those. Pretty cheap if you are stranded. The third is an emergency message. This has its own button, you don't need to do anything fancy just pop the cover, hit the button and it sends a beacon with your gps coords to spots call center and they call the proper emergency services for your area. If you are in the middle of nowhere and you hit that button you'll most likely get a life flight heli response that you'll have to pay for so its best if you only use it in a real bad situation.

isn't that what I said?

If you have a GPS-enabled phone and have maps pre-cached yes you can navigate off your phone with no cell service but you cannot send any messages when you're lying on the ground bleeding like you can with a Spot. You'll just know right where you're dying.

The only reason you need your phone is to type out a custom message as the spot unit itself only has three buttons. Everything goes through a sat service. Cellular has nothing to do with their service at all.

It does work standalone? The documentation I read awhile back suggested you needed the phone so I've been ignoring it since. (Obviously the text gig won't work without a phone.)

you dont need a phone. its a feature, but not required for use

I don't think you can track, send check ins or help messages (non emergency) with out a phone.

To me, the ability to customize a message is totally worth it. If I'm 200 miles in the middle of nowhere and I have a water pump go out, sending a generalized message saying "help me, I'm right here" might get me rescued but if I can say "bring a water pump and two gallons of coolant" then that little $.50 text just saved me at least 400 miles and a shitload of gas going back and forth. Not to mention the added time.

I don't think you can track, send check ins or help messages (non emergency) with out a phone.

To me, the ability to customize a message is totally worth it. If I'm 200 miles in the middle of nowhere and I have a water pump go out, sending a generalized message saying "help me, I'm right here" might get me rescued but if I can say "bring a water pump and two gallons of coolant" then that little $.50 text just saved me at least 400 miles and a shitload of gas going back and forth. Not to mention the added time.

Okay, so the only thing you can do without a phone is 911? That is more in line with what I understood when I briefly looked into the device.

I'd like the text ability but when I'm wheeling in a no-phone area I prefer to stow and forget the phone. Plus I like invoking my check ins from the rugged Spot device (that preference is mainly for when I'm out on my KLR).

my older spot can send check in and help messages without a phone.

everything I read on Spot's website does not say it needs a phone. for the custom messages yes.

Okay, so the only thing you can do without a phone is 911? That is more in line with what I understood when I briefly looked into the device.

I'd like the text ability but when I'm wheeling in a no-phone area I prefer to stow and forget the phone. Plus I like invoking my check ins from the rugged Spot device (that preference is mainly for when I'm out on my KLR).

You can set the tracking then turn your phone off, put it away and it will keep tracking. Kind of "set it and forget it" deal. I imagine you still have your phone on you when you are on your bike. The only huge advantage I see the old ones have over the Connect is if you were hiking or backpacking and wanted to travel so light you don't pack a phone at all.

I'm a fat, lazy jeeper. Not an issue for me. Even if I go hiking ill still have my phone on me. The Spot Connect us about half the size of the older ones. Easier to carry.

I love having my SPOT.

Between that, ALWAYS letting someone know where I'm at and then using common sense I seldom feel too unsafe venturing out on my own.

I also keep a few days worth of food and water with me at all times, warm clothes, boots and blankets.

im gonna look further into SPOT and see how cost effective it is, sounds neat.

I also keep a weeks worth of mre's in my xj plus water and some cold weather gear. i do wheel alone alot i just "try" to make sure people know where im going.

sounds like the guy in the story was a novice and possibly reckless. sad but at least the woman lived. i was confused by the story in that did he leave the jeep in the day during a storm? or was it night time? bummed for his family
:(

Back