• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Little Green Booger...my 1991 XJ build thread

Nice!

Before any more work got started I needed to find out where the leak was coming from every time it rained. It wasn't a minor leak. Every time it rained reasonably hard I'd have about an inch of standing water in the front floor boards. I pulled the trim from around the windshield and was shocked by how much crap was caked under it.

I feared the worst, that the windshield channel had rusted out, but that turned out not to be the case. It's all good solid metal!

What ended up leaking?

Ok another update!

Started with another list of goals last weekend

Wendy and I attempted to remove the windshield so I could reseal it first. Naturally, it cracked which was exactly what I expected to happen. So I moved on to other things on the list. The biggest pain was replacing the axle end UCA bushings. Man, those things were beyond shot!

A couple of months ago I scored a set of 7 factory 8 spoke aluminum wheels, all except one was in pretty good condition but the guy had painted 3 of them black. They also came with 8 center caps, all were also in good condition. Paid $100 for them all! I bought a pair of used 235/75r15 Goodyears from a guy, then mounted and balanced them myself on two of the wheels. I dropped two other wheels off at WalMart for a brand new matching pair of Goodyears. I like the old school look!

As you can see from the above pic, I did what I had to do concerning the grill. I've yet to find a suitable replacement for my missing grill. All the ones I find in the yards are '97-up and all the '96-earlier models are already stripped or damaged by the time I get there. So I swiped the one from the trail beater and will use it until I can find a good black one.

So yesterday I had to pull the hatch area carpet back out. I took some trash out earlier in the week and some vinegar leaked out onto it. Needless to say it wreaked inside the XJ! I pressure washed it and it's been hanging out to dry since.

I also pulled the headliner out to give it a facelift. I totally spaced out and forgot to take a before pic of it, but you can imagine what it looked like seeing this pic. There had to have been a couple racks (or more) of staples in it trying to hold the old fabric up. What a pain that was pulling them all out!

Decided to go with a camo fleece for the new covering. It was about 2/3 cheaper than headliner material and I think it turned out great, if I do say so myself!

Today I tackled the sun visors. They were quite a bit easier to do than the last one I did in a Ford Super Duty. That one had a cardboard base material, but the XJ visors have a plastic base that was really easy to work with. I used the Bleepin' Jeep video to help me along ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kUJ_zwVjcE ) and it was a big help in getting them apart. Thanks Matt!

Before

After

Next to tackle with be the overhead console and rear sound bar. I'll do those sometime this week and hopefully they'll turn out nice. That, along with putting the carpet back in and reinstalling a few small pieces and the interior will be nearly finished. I still need to add some tunes but that'll come in due time. I'll probably just scavenge the stereo from the trail beater since I don't ever listen to it anyway :laugh:

How did you strip the black paint off the wheels?

I didn't. The black ones are sitting in the garage. And I was wrong. He'd only painted 2 of them. I'm not sure how I'd go about stripping them, but I have 3 other good ones from a set I bought a long time ago so I may take 2 of those and paint them to match. They look pretty cool in black but I think I'd rather have the natural finish for my personal vehicle.

Aluminum is the only way to go. I can't stand black wheels but everyone paints them now. If you had a good way to strip the black off I would really like to know.

Of course I'm the guy who loves the gold honeycombs...............

Since it's just an uncatylized spray paint, I would imagine a good soak in a laquer thinner bath would break it down most of the way. I've used it to wipe spray paint off of other stuff before but there's no telling how it would turn out on the wheels.

I worry about it messing up the clear, that is assuming it was good when they were painted.

More than likely if you have a set that is painted, the clear was damaged from sanding before they were painted. I'm not certain if these old style 8 spoke wheels had a clear on them or not. The guy told me he cleaned the bare ones with pontoon cleaner, which is some pretty caustic stuff. I didn't ask how he prepped the painted ones, though.

Edit: If you have a set that is worth stripping to you, get ahold of a wheel restoration business in your area. They can strip them the best way, I'm sure.

Got the headliner finished this afternoon. I elected to not install the sound bar at this time to keep it simple. I'll put it in sometime later on. So for now I'm done with this part of it.

Overhead console before

And after

Overall shot

My friend Daniel gave me the bumper off his '99 since he installed a winch bumper on his. The bumper is blue, and seeing as how the XJ is already a multi-colored clown mobile as is, I decided to give the color issue a temporary fix.

I just think the blue bumper along with the red header panel and white grill would be too much :looser:

Bumper before paint

Header panel and bumper painted and installed. I made the mistake of painting in the direct sunlight when it was 85 degrees. It's tiger striped all to heck. It's hardly noticeable on the bumper, but the header panel looks like crap. I'll repaint it soon, but for now it looks a whole lot better, and no vacuum canister hanging out in the wind any more!

Gonna work on the end caps next time I get a chance so it looks complete.

Picked up a trailer hitch, a grill and some bumper end caps from Glenn today. Thanks for the great deal on them, man! :yelclap:

I also picked up a factory gas tank skid last weekend, so I'll be installing the skid & hitch sometime soon. I also picked up a gallon of paint on my way through Florence, SC today. The only store that carried what I wanted (that was sorta-kinda in a place I'd be close to) was there. So even though I won't need it for quite a while, I went ahead and got it while we were there.

Other than buying a few things, not much else has been getting done. However, I did make a bump block for the spare tire carrier. I'll paint it black when I paint the XJ. The only adhesive I found that would bond the rubber to the metal (and STAY bonded) was Loctite 480. That stuff is expensive as all get out. Luckily I was able to borrow a little bit from work. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon!

It's actually starting to look somewhat presentable! Gotta snag me a good set of stock leaf springs. Mine are sagged, and the passenger side is about 1/2" lower.

Have you thought about getting a set of springs from a pull a part and adding one in? I think it was Dirk or someone who bought a set of upcountry rears from Omnix and one sagged quick. Glad that stuff could get some use. Was good to see you and the family.

No pics of it, but I finally installed a black grill and put on the front bumper end caps.

Unfortunately I've decided to let the XJ go to a new home. A friend of mine came by and gave me a deposit on it Monday night. I gave it to him for what I had in it, and he's very knowledgeable about Ford diesel trucks so he's going to swap some labor on my tow rig for the labor I've put into this XJ. I have way too many irons in the fire and this is keeping me from finishing those other projects. Not to mention it's unnecessary spending, especially considering the fact that I'd never be happy with it until it's lifted lol So hopefully letting this one go down the road will get me back on track with the trail beater.

Back