• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The bumper that i got;) Yess!!!!

Is there a Nate's 4x4 website?

I like those frame tie in peices, I might wanna use em with my ARB...

:repair:

do you have picture of it mounted...i know there are some on the sight but i cant tell how it sits being on a black xj

I will be the different one in this thread.................................I believe that if you add a bracket like the one below to your center front crossmember you will be plenty durable for tow points. Use the ones you created, and the ones I created. U can mount this bracket to the 3 stock holes already on the front crossmember by drilling holes in the bracket back and using 3 Grade 8 bolts. I just welded the other side of the brackets to my bumper. Im telling you....this works well. Think about it. If you are supporting the force of a tow in 4 different areas of the bumper, it will be more secure. Thats my opinion.

Oh, make sure and add atleast one of the grade 8 bolts to the part of the crossmember where the steel from the frame is doubled up. I figured this might help when I get a winch. My bumper will soon be mounted in 4 different ways. Yes, this makes taking the bumper off a PITA, but I dont take bumper off often. It will be mounted from the brackets, by the stock holes on the fraim rail, from the sides of the bumper to the frame, and to the bottom of the frame by a 1/2" thick steel plate to bumper.

bracket.jpg

100_1859.jpg

it seems to me as if with only two to four welds in only two small areas of the bumper was supporting the whole bumper, you might have trouble when being towed from the side, or hitting somthing hard from the side. Or when putting your XJ up against a tree to winch someone out.

Brian

Last edited:
HaZakated said:
I will be the different one in this thread.................................I believe that if you add a bracket like the one below to your center front crossmember you will be plenty durable for tow points. Use the ones you created, and the ones I created. U can mount this bracket to the 3 stock holes already on the front crossmember by drilling holes in the bracket back and using 3 Grade 8 bolts. I just welded the other side of the brackets to my bumper. Im telling you....this works well. Think about it. If you are supporting the force of a tow in 4 different areas of the bumper, it will be more secure. Thats my opinion.

Oh, make sure and add atleast one of the grade 8 bolts to the part of the crossmember where the steel from the frame is doubled up. I figured this might help when I get a winch. My bumper will soon be mounted in 4 different ways. Yes, this makes taking the bumper off a PITA, but I dont take bumper off often. It will be mounted from the brackets, by the stock holes on the fraim rail, from the sides of the bumper to the frame, and to the bottom of the frame by a 1/2" thick steel plate to bumper.

bracket.jpg

100_1859.jpg

it seems to me as if with only two to four welds in only two small areas of the bumper was supporting the whole bumper, you might have trouble when being towed from the side, or hitting somthing hard from the side. Or when putting your XJ up against a tree to winch someone out.

Brian
I didn't really follow all of that Brian, do you mean using those brackets you designed as well as long plates/brackets that go up the 'frame rails' several inches beyond where the stock bumper mounts? Without plates/brackets going deep along the 'frame rails' that bolt through, I think you could still tear the entire front end off your jeep on a hard side pull.

Sorry, Im tired as hell so it may not be coming out my head and fingers right tonight. I will have to take some pictures of what I did. Yes, my frame rail brackets extend back several inches from where the stock brackets stoped. But I did use the stock brackets themselves in this set up. The stock brackets are the tow hook brackets. I just extended them out to the bumper and threw a huge bead of weld around a block spacer on the bumper side, and the bracket side. Sorry for the confusion. The bumper is held on by many, many grade 8 bolts. If they rust, I will be up the creek.

Brian

nates4x4 said:
Believe it or not, not everyone who buys Nates4x4 bumpers intend them for recovery.

I kinda find this to be a false statement. Most people upgrade the front bumper for mostley that reason. For a better recovery point upfront VS. the stock bumper. Sure they can also get a bumper with a bit better ground cleanace and approch angle. Aswell as a wench setup aka better recovery point. Just cause you don't get one thats setup to mount a wench doesn't mean your not going to need to use that front bumper as a recovery point.
If it comes down to it the people not buying a bumper for a better recovery point up front are the ones buying tube and crome bumpers for show and looks.

Well i argree with you i would like to have recovery up front, but in my case price and protection of the grill is a big issue....

price cuz im a poor college sutdent and nate's 4x4 seems reasonable and protection of the grill cuz i have hit two deer in my last jeep both of them needing to replace the grill...

so are you saying that this bumper has bad recovery points

nates4x4 said:
I have a picture of our new frame tie-in bracket, for anyone who wants to see.

100_0804.jpg

Hey Nate nice bracket, for those of you who might not have thought of it this bracket also will give you a great steering box brace.

Nates4x4

Oh and Nate your email does not work.

<[email protected]>:
64.156.215.18 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to
[email protected] cannot be delivered. This account has been
disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta338.mail.scd.yahoo.com

Last edited:
red_01_xj said:
Well i argree with you i would like to have recovery up front, but in my case price and protection of the grill is a big issue....

price cuz im a poor college sutdent and nate's 4x4 seems reasonable and protection of the grill cuz i have hit two deer in my last jeep both of them needing to replace the grill...

so are you saying that this bumper has bad recovery points

I like the bumper look and layout the tubing is a nice bit to it as well.
I think the tow points on it are welded on the right way with it being welded on the front and back side giveing it that much more strength. The only thing I don't under stand is why not weld on that longer Frame Tie-in Bracket for 169 bucks. If your going to make a bumper like that make it work the 169.99 so that it can be used not just to look at. Most aftermarket bumpers that have a beefy tow point like the ones on that bumper will have longer tie in brackets.
Sure it's a unibody and has twist to it when flexing. It's the simple to make something stonger or handel a load better you distribute the wheight or force out over a larger area it will hold better. Most of the brackets on after market bumpers have the longer mounting areas like the Frame Tie-in Brackets.

Back