• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Brendamobile

nice work, I'm curious with the black/white contrast, what it would look like if the fender flares were black.
surely it could be photoshopped first to get an idea, but I think it might look good.

keep up the good work

What is the exact process for this? Does the item or paint need to be scuffed first? Looks like you tapped it off then just sprayed it? Hell, maybe I'll just google it lol. Wouldn't mind doing the trim on my DD with it.

So I've been planning all year on taking my LJ on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route, a 1000 trip across Oregon on gravel, dirt, and 4x4 trails. I ran the Washington route last year, and it was one of the best trips I've ever been on. I had 3 other rigs lined up to go with me, and they all bailed within the last week. Ive had a few people lined up to ride shotgun with me. They all bailed too. I seriously contemplated running it solo, but the idea of camping alone for 7 days just doesn't appeal to me. My last option for company on my trip is to bring the two people I was trying to get away from. These two;

evubaqa2.jpg

My wife and my three year old daughter. Bad idea? Since neither of them enjoy riding in the LJ without a top for longer than a few minutes, and its a PITA to load and unload my daughter from the back seat, the LJ is out of the picture. That leaves The Brendamobile. So if I'm taking my family in this rig, I need to make a few changes. Seeing as I'm leaving the 18th, I have 28 days to work on it and a maximum budget of $1000.

Here's my to do list and my want to list.

To do:
Shocks
Oil Change
Swaybar Bushings
Hatch Struts
CB
Power inverter
Roof rack
Headlights and harness

Want to:
Front bumper
Unibody stiffeners
Gas tank skid
Crossmember/t-case skid
USB charging ports
Progressive bumps
LCA skids
Backup lights
OBA/Compressor/CO2

The thing is literally bone stock. So I have 28 days and $1000 to turn this into a rig that I feel is capable and my wife thinks is comfortable. This is still going to be my wife's daily driver, and its still "her" vehicle so any appearance changes have to be approved by her.

I can check a few things off the list.

Made a headlight harness using go-jeep's write-up on his site. It's crazy detailed, even has the length of each wire. This was my third time making one using the go-jeep method, got everything I needed at Napa for $25. (except the wire which I already had)

y5esebyt.jpg

30 minutes later;
yzy9u6a5.jpg

I also got my reverse lights mounted in the rear bumper;
a4y2e4y7.jpg

I got a gas tank skid installed. Painted it white too.
e8ydedud.jpg

I also changed the oil but I didn't take any cool pictures. Sorry guys.

I've always wanted to see pictures of someone changing the oil. Maybe next time? haha.
Looking good.

Got my rockauto shipment in today. New shocks, hatch struts, and swaybar bushings. $190 shipped

I did a lot of research on which shocks to get for an OE or better ride at stock height. I ended up going with KYB Gas-a-just shocks all the way around.
jema9e7a.jpg

I ran the part numbers on these shocks, 2 of which were blown, and couldn't find a manufacturer. I wish I knew so I could let everyone know not to buy them. Previous owner said the shocks were new. That was less than 7,000 miles ago. Plus they never rode great. Look familiar to anyone?
7y4e9eru.jpg

New swaybar bushings.
tu5e3a6e.jpg

Took it for a spin to test out the KYBs. They rode great and greatly improved the ride quality of the Jeep. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.
ytequvuj.jpg

Made a headlight harness using go-jeep's write-up on his site. It's crazy detailed, even has the length of each wire. This was my third time making one using the go-jeep method, got everything I needed at Napa for $25. (except the wire which I already had)

y5esebyt.jpg

30 minutes later;
yzy9u6a5.jpg

Your Napa must be a lot cheaper than mine. The relays are almost $20 a piece at my store.

Got my Autopals and Hella 55/100w bulbs in. Amazon $60 shipped.

u7a3adum.jpg

Before:
6enedege.jpg

After:
ypamyjah.jpg

No performance test yet, but I will say that I was very impressed with the quality of the Autopal housings especially considering their price point. I can't wait to see how the lights perform now with the harness, housings, and bulbs, compared to the light output before.

High beams will probably crack the housings from heat but light output is vastly better. I run the same setup.
Jeep looks good, keep us updated

I don't suppose you have part numbers for relays and the terminals that plug into for the headlights? I really need to do this mod. I think my stock wiring is having thermal overload issues when I run my headlights for more than 3 hours straight b/c they started to cut off the other night when I was driving through the middle of nowhere... not fun.

The napa part number is listed on goJeep's website. I started a thread a couple weeks ago about it if you search. I got the ceramic plugs for the headlights off of ebay for maybe $6 shipped.

Thanks, that is helpful. I'll check out ebay for the headlight plugs. Anyone know a source for good quality plugs for the relays themselves? I'd rather go with the single plugs that are made to fit the relays than use individual wiring terminals.

The guy at napa had a harness I could get with the relay, but I already had the connectors so I just used those. Plus the harness he had to connect the other wires to was 16 gauge

The Brendamobile got some new wheels and tires today.

Silverstars and 225/75R16 Duratracs.
y6y6a2yp.jpg

Since this really is a mall crawler, I picked up these badges from JCR for it.
u7a8ysu3.jpg

Re: Re: The Brendamobile

Thanks, that is helpful. I'll check out ebay for the headlight plugs. Anyone know a source for good quality plugs for the relays themselves? I'd rather go with the single plugs that are made to fit the relays than use individual wiring terminals.

Try susquehanna motorsports (rallylights.com) I think that's where I got them.

Shoot SPECfab a message,if its auto electric he can get it.

DelCity has build your own relay plugs. It's the block to plug the relay into, and terminals you crimp your own wire to. FWIW I use the prewired kind, and just disassemble the heavy current side and rebuild them with a heavier gauge wire if I want to use a heavier gauge on the high current side. Also you can find the H4 headlamp plugs at Advance Auto. You may have to ask for them at the counter though. At my local store they keep them back in the inventory stock.

The Brendamobile got some new wheels and tires today.

Silverstars and 225/75R16 Duratracs.
y6y6a2yp.jpg

Are those called silverstars? I thought they were called Icons? Look good though. I bought some of those for my Jeep and some Rubicon 16"s for my Toyota. The rubicon's didn't fit the Toyota, so the Toyota got the Icons and the Jeep got the Rubicons.

Back