• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thatxjguy's 1999 Jeep Cherokee Build 'Hole in the Pocket'

Just like the gutter mounts for the 50-inch light bar, today I made some marine-grade vinyl gaskets for the new A-pillar mounts:

zmjosw.jpg

Following the recent issues with the supposed "low oil pressure" lately, I finally had this happen to me last night:

143ddmr.jpg

And since I've had about enough of that, I got a new oil pressure sender:

znq0qp.jpg

I'll let you guys know if this fixes it.

If your oil pressure sender goes out, the gauge will peg out at 80.

One other thing that could cause the low pressure is a poor oil filter and really low-viscosity oil. Other than worn bearings... those are a couple things that could give the low readings. Let us know how your Oil Pressure responds after the new oil pressure sender has been on for a bit.

One other thing that could cause the low pressure is a poor oil filter and really low-viscosity oil. Other than worn bearings... those are a couple things that could give the low readings. Let us know how your Oil Pressure responds after the new oil pressure sender has been on for a bit.

The sender seems to have fixed it.

I run very good oil. Shell Rotella 10w30.

I also run the Mopar oil filter, which I recall isn't a low quality one at all.

I know I may have some bearing wear, however my rod bearings are brand new. Immediately after changing the bearings, my oil pressure was around 25-27 PSI.

Replacing that sender seems to have fixed it, as my pressure hasn't gone below 25 at an idle since.

I have the same issue. Sender hasn't helped. I'm pretty sure it's just flat out engine wear. What helped significantly has been running the Delo 400LE diesel oil and a Napa Gold filter. Better than the Mopar, even.

I finally got to getting the pictures of my rod bearing job off of my camera. Here are some snaps of inside my motor:

121a8fb.jpg

1042sg2.jpg

14but1i.jpg

a0gttz.jpg

29nh30j.jpg

351znfs.jpg

Oh and here's a picture of my Jeep creeping in the background at Checkers:

343mbnd.jpg

Today I had a real "DOH" moment. The jack started slipping out from under the Jeep while I was rotating the tires, because apparently, my wood chocks were breaking under the weight of the Jeep and the tire started moving right over it.

So... I got behind the Jeep and lifted it up with all my brute force and when it finally gave way, I carefully let it down on the ground. So my drum brake was sitting on the driveway. No biggy. Didn't break anything. At least it went down easy instead of smashing.

2ez4v0n.png

So... I needed my buddy to come over with a floor jack to get it back up off the ground. We got it up and continued the tire rotation. Then he left.

Not even a few minutes later, I get a phone call, "man, I just got into an accident."

Crap... a sad day for his nice XJ:

b7lw1l.jpg

So now we're hunting for a Cherokee shell to swap his drivetrain into. His Cherokee is totaled.

The new Banks Monster exhaust came today!

I opened the box to an awesome shiny new muffler with some 3-D Banks stickers:

5v64x2.jpg

And it took a while, but we got the stock exhaust out:

2j1qsmt.jpg

Did a little grinding on the trailer hitch to make room for the larger 2.5-inch stainless steel tailpipe:

sykto6.jpg

Muffler on!

2ltij3k.jpg

You were able to hold up a corner of the Jeep off the ground? Damn...

I was able to keep it from falling for a good 60 seconds before it started to buckle. Keep in mind, I had some help from the hydraulic jack that was in the midst of failing.

When it started falling, there was very little I could do. I just put all my strength into trying to keep it from crashing down. And I was able to let it down gently enough that it didn't go BOOM, but instead, the drum brake made a scrape in the driveway.

With the new Dana 30 (high pinion) Rough Country differential guard, I can finally access my gear oil plug:

2dvlp5h.jpg

I had purchased the regular Dana 30 Rough Country differential guard for XJs from Rough Country's site one year ago, and it was for the low pinion Dana 30. The difference in filler hole height made it impossible to refill oil without having the guard off. This new one fits much better on my differential, and even better, it sits lower, keeping it away from the ZJ tie rod.

15rgj2a.jpg

I love it!

Picked up the Rough Country leaf spring shackle relocation kit while it was on sale for just $89 and it arrived yesterday, so I'll be getting that in soon!

30afj4o.png

Also, I took a nice Christmas-y shot at the Jeep house yesterday!

2vj5pw4.png

Back