• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thatxjguy's 1999 Jeep Cherokee Build 'Hole in the Pocket'

How's the air flow with those vent switch pods? Been eyeing them for a while but can't deal with losing air flow during the summer.

No need to worry about airflow because you've got two good vents on either side of you, and a bunch of air flowing straight back :).

Unfortunately, you just can't adjust the direction anymore.

UPS came today and dropped off some goodies.

Stainless steel braided extended front brake lines, and rear shock bushings:

140wxg2.jpg

10fudqq.jpg

Those shock bushings are going to come in handy for my free rear bar pin eliminators that I'm making out of the brackets from my rear sway bar that I removed:

2cekef4.jpg

Today I got some more goodies.

My LED rock light kits came today:

1zx8ta1.jpg

And so did my 4-AWG wiring kit from 5-90 for my 136-amp alternator:

24yz0o9.jpg

And I just finished installing them tonight:

2598nzc.jpg

For those that don't know Jon Kelley (5-90) he's an amazing guy with great electrical knowledge. I talked to him about all of my concerns and he answered all of my questions thoroughly..

The quality of his cables is top-notch and better than what you'll find at the store. I highly recommend his wiring kits if you ever do a Dodge Durango alternator like I did.

Converted driver seat from power to manual today:

19rsrq.jpg

Also, installed the Hooligan 50-inch light bar brackets to replace the Inspired Engineering ones. They sit lower for a lower-profile on the Jeep. I also removed teh roof rack:

9znmoi.jpg

Yeah, it's a huge pain the ass. The big thing is that you need to have a lot of time. I split this up between two days – although labor-wise, we spent 6 hours total actually doing it.

The most annoying part was probably the steering column. There are so many plugs there, and I had to be careful not to spin the wheel to prevent damage to the clock spring.

I know this is from forever ago, just wanted to chime in on the HVAC box for anyone that is reading. After doing about 5 of these on different jeeps and twice on my own (bad day) I found its much easier to leave the steering colum in and just remove the steering wheel. This and for the most part, you can leave a lot of the plastic on the dash as well.

You're jeep looks sweet. I love that gun metal color :thumbup:

I know this is from forever ago, just wanted to chime in on the HVAC box for anyone that is reading. After doing about 5 of these on different jeeps and twice on my own (bad day) I found its much easier to leave the steering colum in and just remove the steering wheel. This and for the most part, you can leave a lot of the plastic on the dash as well.

You're jeep looks sweet. I love that gun metal color :thumbup:

Removed the crappy Rough Country anti-sway bar quick disconnects and installed some beefy new JKS anti-sway bar quicker disconnects today:

Lots of redundant money spending going on with this jeep. Give it a while and all them light bars hours spent on switch panels and replacing parts with parts with parts will seem funny.

Clean jeep though looks like a solid daily driver that anybody would love. But in time the bug will bite and the grinders will come flying.

Lots of redundant money spending going on with this jeep. Give it a while and all them light bars hours spent on switch panels and replacing parts with parts with parts will seem funny.

Clean jeep though looks like a solid daily driver that anybody would love. But in time the bug will bite and the grinders will come flying.

Yup, when I got the Jeep I was on a high school graduate budget. I couldn't afford quality. I ended up with Rough Country crap.

Now I have a job and I can start making some stuff happen.

I am now planning BDS 4-link long arms & Clayton springs.

But no I'm not going to buzz-saw anything. I'd buy a beater before I started trimming things on this.

Last edited:
A complete coolant power flush seems to have fixed my temperature woes permanently. I finally have alien blood instead of mud:

2h6rqlu.jpg

34qssc1.jpg

Also, a new Moog tie rod end for the pitman arm and drag link to fix some slop in my steering:

2rehc7r.jpg

And to top everything off, a set of four Cadillac horns to replace the dinky factory horns:

28wi1p5.jpg

Did a good ol' coolant flush:

2h6rqlu.jpg

Replaced a tie rod at the pitman arm to tighten up the steering:

2rehc7r.jpg

New leaf springs:

33db435.jpg

vwppgk.jpg

I also removed the shackle relocation kit temporarily until I find a decent sized shackle that won't add 1.5 inches of lift in the rear and will still clear the brackets.

These fixed a problem where the bushing was sliding out of one of the eyes:

1z52n3s.jpg

New valve cover gasket went in:

2gt54jc.jpg

e9clkw.jpg

New valve cover grommets and valves:

4jx66s.jpg

And also just did new front axle U joints. I went with Spicer 760X joints:

t5lris.jpg

29e0ze8.jpg

b5peea.jpg

New Timken hub bearings are in on both sides: