• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teaser Dana 60 Build

Well I have been looking at 3 different diesels.
Cummins 4BTA 3.9 TD
Izuzu 4BD1T 3.9 TD
GM 6.2l or 6.5l TD

Cummins is too big in IMO 762lbs
Isuzu is OK but heavey 700 ish lbs
GM V8 is Big but lighter and requires no Adapters. -700lbs
I fear the 6.5L Turbo would be too big with the turbo. But I can hook it up to a 700r4 then to a Chevy S10 np231c. This is ALL still in the planning stage.

I will have to research the custom front 60.

mud1059 said:
I feel a wee bit better now :) What kind of diesel? I saw an old bronco (67-77 type) out at Evan's once running a Cummins. Dude had 10 or 12 inch lift springs giving half the lift. Each wrap of the coil was literally 1/4" from touching the next at all times. Crazy amount of weight.

Do what John did and buy a center section, some tube and inner Cs. That's the only way to build a P'side 60 - especially for custom width.

OR

You could run a doubler (Think box4rocks) and not flip it. Just get a Chevy D60.

Dream is right:gee: I would love somethinig like that. I love the turbo on top. Eli mentioned to beware of the hot turbo coming in contact with water during water fordings. This makes me want to lean away from turbos. But boy do I love hearing them spool...:loveu:
mud1059 said:

He's right. Why a diesel though? What's the attraction? There's no reason to go through the hassle unless it IS turbo'd though.. I do believe you're thinking of a sport turbo as opposed to a diesel turbo, maybe. If a diesel is set up right, you only hear it if you're trying to. The imports have that sexy blow off valve sound.

Also, everyone swaps the 6.2 and/or 6.5 out for a gas engine for a reason. They blow arse.

mud1059 said:
He's right. Why a diesel though? What's the attraction? There's no reason to go through the hassle unless it IS turbo'd though.. I do believe you're thinking of a sport turbo as opposed to a diesel turbo, maybe. If a diesel is set up right, you only hear it if you're trying to. The imports have that sexy blow off valve sound.

Also, everyone swaps the 6.2 and/or 6.5 out for a gas engine for a reason. They blow arse.

Good god man, have some faith in me... I have owned both a diesel 1999 dodge 2500 cummins 5.9l 6bt
And a gas turbo Audi S4. I know the difference. I am not talking about wastegate blow off. I am talking about that lovely turbo whistle, Also experienced on firetucks when I was in the fireservice. As for why diesel? better gas mileage, bio diesel WVO, I have owned a bunch of diesels and love em. I know a guy who is alergic to diesel, isn't that sad? Who shat in your wheaties today? the GM diesels are fine. If I wanted monster horsepower I would build a a SBC gas and get super crappy mileage. This is not what I want.

Jeremy

I did some research and many people have said crossing water with a turbo is fine if it's not super hot. Here is a fella with a turbo who does many crossings. He says this is one of his shallower crossings.
beanholemarch023385x289.jpg

Does anyone have any real experience either way?

mud1059 said:
The 96+ Vortec 6.5 Turbo was actually a pretty damn good engine, and made a bucket load of torque. 430 fl/lb in 1996 was more than anyone else. I put 165k on one with very few issues.

Jeremy, I debated doing a diesel swap into IXNAY mk II, but steered away due to the weight. The ideal solution I came up with was just too expensive; 2.8 CRD or 3.0 CRD or Blutec. They're compact, light (relative to a 4BT) and aren't too terrible to swap. Unfortunately, they're a lot more complex than the other motors you're thinking about.

I just can't get my head around 700+ lbs sitting out over the front axle, not to mention COG.

-----Matt-----

Arb bumper 100 lbs
8000lb winch 106 lbs
total 206lbs

Novak adapters reported weight of the 4.0
515lbs complete
GM V8
under 700
thats 185 lbs

less than a winch and bumper. And harbor freight sells those really small and light weight 3000lb winches, just get like three of those and your set. Need any welding done?:twak:

But seriously, with planning I don't think it would be that much worse. I would be happy to remove my basket from my tophat. build a lighter bumper, have my winch on a reciever stored in the back? Granted I would have higher cog, but no higher than you with your roll cage. :laugh3: Now I suppose your going to tell me your cage is actualy beneficial. Sheesh...

Jeremy

IXNAYXJ said:
The 96+ Vortec 6.5 Turbo was actually a pretty damn good engine, and made a bucket load of torque. 430 fl/lb in 1996 was more than anyone else. I put 165k on one with very few issues.

Jeremy, I debated doing a diesel swap into IXNAY mk II, but steered away due to the weight. The ideal solution I came up with was just too expensive; 2.8 CRD or 3.0 CRD or Blutec. They're compact, light (relative to a 4BT) and aren't too terrible to swap. Unfortunately, they're a lot more complex than the other motors you're thinking about.

I just can't get my head around 700+ lbs sitting out over the front axle, not to mention COG.

-----Matt-----

And here I was about to apologize for underestimating you ...:) I quasi recommend not running a cluster of 3k HF winches for the purpose of recovery of your rig. You just don't have enough hands. ;) Matt may be right on the 6.5's, I have no personal experience, just that of what I read.

edit: I couldn't spell

mud1059 said:
And here I was about to apologize for underestimating you ...:) I quasi recommend not running a cluster of 3k HF winches for the purpose of recovery of your rig. You just don't have enough hands. ;) Matt may be right on the 6.5's, I have no personal experience, just that of what I read.

what about running a cluster of wenches? :viking:

Well got some time in on the lathe tonight, meant to get some in the works pics but forgot. Here is some before and after of the spindles.

Before trim and Chamfer
xf89l3.jpg

After some time on the lathe. I will need to increase the chamfer for better penetration when welding. Overall pretty happy.
iqd64o.jpg

lt was dissapointing finding I have tapered spindles and will NOT be able to bore out for 35 spline shafts. No worries though, The actual narrowing is near free, and Dana 60 housings are cheap. I will respline my stock shafts and shorten them. No ARB for this housing, maybe a lockright.

Jeremy

Last edited:
Why only Quasi? :cheers:

mud1059 said:

Can somebody move this thread to modified tech? My apologies, it has turned into a build thread.

Here is a movie I uploaded showing why spindle to carrier bearing alignment requires tools.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2zoayd1&s=3

So I am half way done with my alignment tools. I just need to turn my pucks for the carrier bearing positions.
Here is a pic of the spindle alignment insert. I still need to remove that big chunk on the end.
aepts8.jpg

Here is the alignment rod in the insert.
fyidck.jpg

Here it is with the spindle nice and snug on the insert.
2ebx3wm.jpg

Jeremy

DrSockMonkey said:
Can somebody move this thread to modified tech? My apologies, it has turned into a build thread.

Here is a movie I uploaded showing why spindle to carrier bearing alignment requires tools.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2zoayd1&s=3

So I am half way done with my alignment tools. I just need to turn my pucks for the carrier bearing positions.
Here is a pic of the spindle alignment insert. I still need to remove that big chunk on the end.
http://i32.tinypic.com/aepts8.jpg

Here is the alignment rod in the insert.
http://i28.tinypic.com/fyidck.jpg
Here it is with the spindle nice and snug on the insert.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2ebx3wm.jpg
Jeremy

What'cha gonna do with those when you're done?
fingersx.gif

Billy

Waterhammer said:
Good stuff. Keep up with the pics. You're answering a lot of questions I had...

Here is a pic of Carrier bearing pucks, rod, and spindle insert. And the spindle too.
14bhjpz.jpg

I will try to take some pics of it in the housing tonight.

Back