• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team Bongo Mexico #9009 enters KOH EMC in a Jeep Speed

World Rally Team

NAXJA Forum User
kingofthehammers2013logo.jpg.w300h236.jpg

TEAM BONGO MEXICO - KOH EMC #9009 ready!

We sent in our entry before the deadline, after getting back from the end of the world Maya Rally this past friday night, this was good because we had to chance to test our junk down in central Mexico.

155948_10151205417323565_677581232_n.jpg

45101_10151208080488565_1412418359_n.jpg

18114_10151212396123565_403925009_n.jpg

Everything worked great, rig is now stored and prepped for KOH EMC event, which is now on our 2013 Race Schedule

65054_10151212641183565_87222276_n.jpg

We are also racing in the KOH in this junk
227186_10151212401493565_357725205_n.jpg

See you on the lakebed! The competition looks fierce, this is going to be a bad ass Bongo! Who else is competing in a Jeep Speed in the KOH EMC?

More updates soon...:scottm:
kohminorityracingteam2013decal.jpg.w300h375.jpg

44574_10151212639803565_1004237277_n.jpg

What's up Ponce? :)

Looking forward to seeing you guys out there and racing each other. I think this race is going to be a good time, with plenty of good competition. How are you on the rules? Looks like you might have an issue or two.

Team Bongo Mexico #9009 enters KOH EMC 4600 class in a Jeep Speed

We plan on running in the 4600 Class. Most of our safety gear is FIA homologated.

Richard make sure you stop by for some Scorpion Mezcal and Sotol :angel::cheers:

Just got off the time machine and back in Norway for a while, then returning back to the Americas just in time to tow our junk and do any last minute prepping before Feb 7. Looking forward to this unique race, good luck to all the teams! Feel free to stop by for some Scorpion Mezcal and Sotol :peace:
KOH_2009_map.JPG

Bongo!

380191_10151200554818565_1990443553_n.jpg

18884_10151200555928565_585442416_n.jpg

Make sure that you leave time to add a winch, a rear hatch, replace the bobbed rear quarters, install new shocks that don't come through the floor, and replace the floor where the shocks came through. :)

^^

What Jim said. My post wasn't supposed to sound as negative as it did..

Minority Racer multi-tasking to go race KOH EMC in a Jeep Speed

Que onda CAL and CrazyJim,

no problem, thanx for the input. I have teched KOH several times and know what the scruteening staff wants, on the other hand this will be our first KOH EMC and understand we have to make some adjustments. We will be ok, we hate to use winches, but yes I will bolt one on there when I get back. I also have to mount the new KC HiLites 9441's, Raceline Beadlocks and new tires, really wish I could change the Dana 30 front diff. :wierd:

By the way this is what runs thru my mind when at the starting line on race day, its the worst feeling when you get that itch and you cant scratch cuz your racing!

lwrtlogo2011.jpg

Last edited:
I think the bigger concern is that 4600 class does not allow cutting of the fenders behind the rear tires, does not permit shocks through the floor and requires that you have a hatch that opens and closes.

It shouldnt be too hard to make some new shock moutns under the body and plate over the existing shock holes in the floor, you can make a tube hatch similar to ours I think, but the fenders would require some work. Maybe rear armour that covers up whats cut in a stock fashion.

I sent an email to KOH tech. But right now our set up is working bad ass, plus I would like to export the rig to Skandinavia in April to use for some FIA European endurance offroad races and some other cool offroad rallies that I have discovered over here, so I dont really want to make any big changes to the design that we have right now.

So if they dont allow us to race, that's ok we can cheer you guys on and just race the KOH in our other Ultra 4 spec junk.

What about the Mint 400? Are you guys racing that?

:party:

Last edited:
One of the defining moments of my adult life was learning that the Mint 400 was returning. I doubt we'll race it this year, but you can bet your ass we will race it..

Well lets see what happens, I saw some of the rigs that raced lasted year and we just wanted to go participate and not anticipate.
CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT MADE US GO RACE, JUST THOUGHT AN CHEROKEE XD COULD GO PUT ON A GOOD SHOW AND FINISH

But lots of these rigs have way more gear then us underdog no chasis Jeep Speeds, but its ok its we have already proved that its not about the rig or the $.

Hopefully we will be ready to go play with our little jeep speed with a open dana 30 race and 33" tires, we first need to find a gps and radios :peace:

The competition looks pretty good, with lots of suspension gear :eyes:
713720d1356067764-emc-race-whos-emc-koh-2013-1.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

If not dont worry we can cheer all the underdog jeep speed teams :peace:

Bongo!

Last edited:
Team Bongo Mexico #9009 cant race KOH EMC in a Jeep Speed:(

Amigos, its official we are out of the KOH EMC :bawl: :nono:

This is what KOH tech emailed us when we enquired about our junk:

Response from KOH TECH: From what I can see of those pictures your jeep seems to be plenty safe to race and would pass the safety portion of the tech inspection.

If you plan on running the stock class (4600) an operable rear hatch would be required. This is because the rear hatch is being considered just like the doors. it can be tube, sheet metal, etc and is not required to be a full hatch...but there must be something there that resembles the OEM hatch and operates in the same manor as from the factory.

From the link of pictures your jeep speed it looks like it most closely meets the stock rules (4600) but I can already foresee some issues with being 100% compliant for the class rules. Most notably there are some body requirement issues with the rear bumper. It appears you cut the rear 1/4 panel a bit to fit the bumper and for tire clearance. While some of this is allowed, from what I can see of the pictures it looks like too much was removed and it wouldn't meet the rules.

honestly though because I don't have the rig here in front of me the only way to decide would be for you to read through the rules and figure out which one you fit best in.

:bawl: :(

Good luck to all you Jeep Speeders who will race in the KOH EMC. :cheers:

So close, yet so far away.

Are you going to bring the jeep with you anyways? It could be fun to pre-run the course with us!

Last edited:
and get rid of that sierra nevada, they fund organizations who'd love to shut us down for good.

So, its the 'every man challenge', except those who cut and fold the rear quarter panel... or go thru the floor with shocks.... or ditch the hatch on race jeeps...

It sucks to see you guys get denied entry, but frankly, **** them.

Good luck at the mind

Rules are rules, KOH is doing this for safety, we all know that Jeep Speeds will blow away any other rig in the KOH EMC, but rules are rules. We have other plans for our junk and its been recently tested on and offroad and its working great, when something works why mess with it:)

As a underdog racer we would like to help out and we have been talking to VEHO MUVI over here in Europe so if anyone is interested we can get you a racer rate. PM me.

Sorry about the sierra nevada, but we never buy beer its always free:) You be surprised beer is better than $:) Read this crazy story on how a beaner no body racer beat the system with beer:)

We will keep on practicing and one day race our junk :cheers:

Feliz y Prospero 2013

Back