• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

teach me your thoughts naxja

goodwilljeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Alright,

so recently i installed the currie steering and synergy ball joints and a newer used steering box. heres some questions for my problemS.

1.)
I took it to 4 wheel parts to be aligned because it pulls to the right a TAD BIT. not to much but just enough. they said that my passenger side is bent at the c because my camber is off and i would need a offset ball joint to possibly solve the problem. (driver side is good) so should i switch everything over to my other axle housing and hope that one isn't bent as well, or are synergy ball joints so tuff that the bad camber won't wear them down any faster. or any other suggestions. REMINDER: this is my DD.

2.)
i have a steering leak. so first its easier to turn right then left i think because of the camber but i could be wrong. also i had a leak in the hose but a new hose clamp solved that problem, now i have another leak in the box but i think its actually the box itself is leaking. is that possible? because if it is ill switch back to my old box that has a lot of play in the sector shaft.

i need some expert / outside of my head voices
thanks guys.

You're camber would have to be *way* off to turn easier one way than the other, usually thats a sign of a bad steering box.

Every jeep that is measured has the camber off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is *way* off. If your tires don't wear funny its probably fine.

do you have a adjustable control arms? if one side is shorter than the other then perhaps that just adjusting the arm out can do it. or a bad bushing.

how is your toe in ? is your steering wheel centered via the drag link? I wonder if a control arm, or control arm mount is tweaked? is the trackbar centered ?

consider a 4 bolt J10 box too.

Also, if your steering stabilizer is fubar, it can do weird things like that. pull off the stabilizer and see if it pulls out and goes in smooth both directions. if there is a catch, or if it slides in really easy but doesnt like to come out the stabilizer could be shot.

if the caliper on the side it was pulling was bad, that could cause it. Does it pull hard under heavy braking ?

make sure your frame isn't cracked. Check out the ball joints- maybe you just have one or dead shot ball joints on one side.

Last edited:
do you have a adjustable control arms? if one side is shorter than the other then perhaps that just adjusting the arm out can do it. or a bad bushing.

how is your toe in ? is your steering wheel centered via the drag link? I wonder if a control arm, or control arm mount is tweaked? is the trackbar centered ?

consider a 4 bolt J10 box too.

Also, if your steering stabilizer is fubar, it can do weird things like that. pull off the stabilizer and see if it pulls out and goes in smooth both directions. if there is a catch, or if it slides in really easy but doesnt like to come out the stabilizer could be shot.

if the caliper on the side it was pulling was bad, that could cause it. Does it pull hard under heavy braking ?

make sure your frame isn't cracked. Check out the ball joints- maybe you just have one or dead shot ball joints on one side.

i do have adjustable control arms. one side is smaller then the other but thats cause when we welded on the new mounts we welded them on alittl fubar.

bushings are all new.

steering wheel is centered,

track bar is half an inch to large from what i could tell and its all the way adjusted in and still too long.

ill try the stabilizer cause thats just two bolts.

and no i adjusted the brakes so they don't pull on either side and it doesn't pull under breaking. and the ball joints are all brand new.

If you have a tape measure and wrenches you should be doing the alignment your self in the driveway man.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

It takes ten minutes to adjust toe and steering wheel. Start there.

If youre having issues with it being squirly/wandering, not returning to center, or driveline vibrations, then you want to look at caster.

You are deffinately going need a new box. Napas in house brand is a decent place to start. You may end up warrantying a few before finding a solid one. But thats what the warranty is for.
Deffinatlely do some research on the durango box or the j10 that jon suddested. They are stronger than stock.

Also might want to get a junkyard box and have it rebuild and plummed for assist now if you forsee your self going that direction soon. Its an easy add on later. Westexasoffroad does all that. Just ship them a box and they do the rest and ship it back.

Good luck samboni!

Last edited:
all are spot on recommendations! Second the stabilizer Jon said.. it's happened twice to me. And by the sounds of it being harder to turn left I would start with that. One time it got a tad bit bent. The second time was so hard to pull out it would slightly pull my steering to the right. And when turning left it felt a bit stiffer.

Well I pulled the stabilizer off and it seemed a tad easier but not by much. Pulled the air box to inspect the top of the box and found that where the steering shaft connects to the box is where its leaking so its definitely shot. I don't have time for any more mods so I am staying stock or bolt on So probably the Napa box or auto zone one. Not to worried about camber anymore cause I can fool with that later by switching axles. If I can't solve my problem then it may be that time...

i do have adjustable control arms. one side is smaller then the other but thats cause when we welded on the new mounts we welded them on alittl fubar.

bushings are all new.

steering wheel is centered,

track bar is half an inch to large from what i could tell and its all the way adjusted in and still too long.

ill try the stabilizer cause thats just two bolts.

and no i adjusted the brakes so they don't pull on either side and it doesn't pull under breaking. and the ball joints are all brand new.

get your axle centered then. if one arm is shorter than the other, adjust them until the axle is properly centered, accounting for any difference in mounts.

It is direct bolt up. You have to modify it internally to get full turning radius back. I didn't like it so I went back to xj box. Go yj or the 4 bolt j10 for an easier upgrade in my opinion

Just do an xj box. At the point you're at right now, just do a bolt up factory replacement for time and monies sake. The box I just put in leaks too. Looks like we're in a similar boat. Steering box replacement party anyone?

Just do an xj box. At the point you're at right now, just do a bolt up factory replacement for time and monies sake. The box I just put in leaks too. Looks like we're in a similar boat. Steering box replacement party anyone?

need to replace mine as well. its leaking around the shaft seal.

I need to replace boxes in both my jeeps. Although i already have an agr box to swap in from my donor jeep.
Probably going to go with a j10 for wilbur. Both will get new pumps and hoses as well.

So at this rate we should all pitch in and buy a pallet of new boxes lol. Ya trying to stay stock for the simplicity of it and I'm only on 31s. Gonna switch back and see if I can track a new one down.

But thank you all for the input.

So at this rate we should all pitch in and buy a pallet of new boxes lol.

I second that. :D I replaced mine with a rebuilt one from ebay and the sector shaft already moves side to side as I move the wheel back and forth. Makes for a sloppy feel to the steering.

Back