• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus Fan - What did you pay at the JY?

CCRM;...I have never heard of that. How does it work? What vehicle did it come from?

It came off the same vehicle as the fan...94 Ford taurus. Most standard relays can't handle the aperage of the initial fan draw. Ford integrates 3 or 4 high amp relays in this module, low speed fan, high speed fan, fuel pump, and one other but can't remember. Anyway, using various wiring schematics, I was able to utilize the CCRM and a few toggle switches to power my fan on low/high speeds. I've also got it tied into the ECM to kick the fan on low when the temp sensor tells it to, regardless on if the switches are off.

It came off the same vehicle as the fan...94 Ford taurus. Most standard relays can't handle the aperage of the initial fan draw. Ford integrates 3 or 4 high amp relays in this module, low speed fan, high speed fan, fuel pump, and one other but can't remember. Anyway, using various wiring schematics, I was able to utilize the CCRM and a few toggle switches to power my fan on low/high speeds. I've also got it tied into the ECM to kick the fan on low when the temp sensor tells it to, regardless on if the switches are off.

I would love to see pics of the unit (and approximate location on the Taurus), a rough drawing of your wiring, and pics of your installation.

I would love to see pics of the unit (and approximate location on the Taurus), a rough drawing of your wiring, and pics of your installation.

Well since we're both in Columbus, Ohio...it might be easier to show you in person than try to explain every detail...

Well since we're both in Columbus, Ohio...it might be easier to show you in person than try to explain every detail...

Cool, I'll drop you a PM with my contact details.

EDIT:
Dude, I just realized I have you as a friend on myspace. I'll still drop you a PM, cuz I wanna see yoursetup.

Most of us do not live in Columbus, Ohio and would appreciate seeing a photo of the CCRM. Do they look the same in all Ford models using one?

The CCRM sound like something I would like to take a look at. I know the module you are referring to, I just never gave it second thought. With a little help and a diagram (and time), I am sure I could make it work for me.

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I ran across this diagram on taurusclub.com. It's a pin out for a 94 3.8 Taurus CCRM.

CCRM_38L_1994.gif

I've also got most of the early 90's Ford FSM's on DVD, I may try to poke around on them to find some more info on the CCRM.

I hit the yard this afternoon, and found a CCRM. It took about 30 minutes, but I pealed the bottom sheet metal off (it's riveted together). Here's a pic of the insides. There are two 40 amp Bosch relays, and 2 other items. The part number for the other part is 'F0DF-14A640-AA'. I'm working to figure out what the two items specs are.

IMG00110_20090504_1532_800x600.jpg

That look like 2 regular 40 (??) AMP relays and 2 mini 20 amp relays. That would be my guess.

Thanks for the diagram. It will sure come in useful.

Please, Please give details. I am trying to add a switch on the dash to my auxilary fan and would love some info on how this can be done.

Are you talking about a stock setup, or the taurus fan?

As of right now I am talking about a stock set up, but I may do the taurus coversion in the future. I was going to simply run a line from the battery to the dash, mount the switch and then run the line from the switch to the positive line of the auxiliary fan and splice into it. I was trying to figure out where or if I needed to attach a ground to that or relay. I realized I need to get some advice before I fried my battery or started a fire under the hood.

As of right now I am talking about a stock set up, but I may do the taurus coversion in the future. I was going to simply run a line from the battery to the dash, mount the switch and then run the line from the switch to the positive line of the auxiliary fan and splice into it. I was trying to figure out where or if I needed to attach a ground to that or relay. I realized I need to get some advice before I fried my battery or started a fire under the hood.

First off, I would run a relay. You are going to be risking alot and be hard pressed to find a switch that will support that kind of amperage safely.

What I would do would be to find a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. Run that to a switch (with a fuse in between). Running your fan off of a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on will prevent you from leaving the fan on and draining your battery. Ground the switch inside the cab.

Run your output wire from the switch through the fire wall to a relay under the hood. Run a fused line hot off the battery to your relay. Ground the relay. That's 3 of the 4 prongs on a relay.

Run your output from the relay to your hot wire on your fan. At that point you are almost done. Ground the fan to the body.

The addition of the relay & fuses protect your battery and your electrical system from shorts. It also doesn't force you to run alot of juice through your XJ and cause Electromagnetic Interference.

First off, I would run a relay. You are going to be risking alot and be hard pressed to find a switch that will support that kind of amperage safely.

What I would do would be to find a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. Run that to a switch (with a fuse in between). Running your fan off of a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on will prevent you from leaving the fan on and draining your battery. Ground the switch inside the cab.

Run your output wire from the switch through the fire wall to a relay under the hood. Run a fused line hot off the battery to your relay. Ground the relay. That's 3 of the 4 prongs on a relay.

Run your output from the relay to your hot wire on your fan. At that point you are almost done. Ground the fan to the body.

The addition of the relay & fuses protect your battery and your electrical system from shorts. It also doesn't force you to run alot of juice through your XJ and cause Electromagnetic Interference.

Thank you. That was extremely helpful. I just got pm'ed a diagram that is exactly what you explained. Between the pic and your step by step I should be set.

Thank you. That was extremely helpful. I just got pm'ed a diagram that is exactly what you explained. Between the pic and your step by step I should be set.

Relays are numbered 85, 86, 87, 30.

This diagram is how to wire your relay. Disregard where it says lights, that's to your fan power lead.

relay_diagram.JPG

Or to keep it a little more simple...Use a single pole, single throw switch. Ground one end of the switch, and run the other side to the ECM auxilary fan control circuit. (ground side control)

...I realized I need to get some advice before I fried my battery or started a fire under the hood.

yah, i had one of those when the motor of my taurus fan siezed up and caught fire. im gonna install a relay and swich before my fan controller to ensure i can kill it (sometimes it dont want to be killed by the swich).

Or to keep it a little more simple...Use a single pole, single throw switch. Ground one end of the switch, and run the other side to the ECM auxilary fan control circuit. (ground side control)

When I get around to wiring my Taurus fan, I'm wiring low off of a wire that's hot when the ignition is on, but with an override switch.

High is going to come on when the aux fan kicks on.

They are in fact 30 AMPS;...and I always thought they were 20's. Nice. They are available here at the UPI (yoU Pull It) a dime a dozen. Great for future mods.

Gerat diagram dagr8tim. Relay Wireing 101.

Back