• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Talking to my Son

Whiplash_Syndicate

NAXJA Forum User
Well my son is 5 years old now and starting school in a couple weeks.He hasn't seen his mother in over 3 years and I over heard him telling someone he doesn't have a mom.The story.

I found out about him Nov. of 2006 and he was 6months old at the time.His mother came down from IL where she was living at the time and was going to stay at my moms cause i was living with current GF.(GF didnt like her but had never met her only thru mutual friend that quit hanging out with her when sons mom moved here b4 i knew her) GF decided it was alright if she stayed with us for a while.She had began to hang out with some of the people she hung with b4 moving to IL. My son got phenomena and was admitted to the hospital.At this time we had sent off for a DNA test but i didn't have any proof he was my child.She would stay one night with him and i would stay the next night.After a few times the hospital asked me for proof of a relationship to him as i was staying overnight.I didn't have any so they called DCS. A few days after he was released from the hospital we received the paper work from DNA and was 99.99% my child but DCS case had to be settled cause she was 17 and was to be in care of the family living here. We went to DCS and Sons mom,GF and myself were asked to take a drug test. I was clean and GF failed for THC and sons mom failed for Cocaine and THC.DCS had to place him with immediate family and DNA test wasnt enough proof and were going to place him with his grandmother in IL.My family talked to her and she would sign power of attorney to me and DCS said i woul have to move out of GF house. This was the 19 of Dec. She continued to stay in TN but was stay with dealers and i didnt feel comfortable that when she turned 18 in 2 months she would get him back and not have a stable place to live.I talked to a atty and went for full custody and she had supervised visitation. She hooked up with her other sons father and they were living about 30 miles away.She saw him a few times in a few months but her BF went to jail and she moved back to IL and came and saw him once after that but he was still not walking then.

I have a few pics of her and don't know how to explain to him why she isn't around.Gonna talk to him next week before he starts school so he wont tell people he doesn't have a mom.Any suggestions would be helpful.

tell him the truth. just dont use big words. thats what i tell my girls son when he wonders why his father doesnt treat him the same i do. i also had to explain to him why his father tried to kill his little sister with a car door while she was still in the womb.

Tell him his mom is sick and that she will be back when she gets better, and that she loves him, there is no reason to turn such a young child against his mother by telling him she chooses drugs over him. both my wifes parents went to rehab when she was about 3-4 and he grandparents went on and on about how they liked drugs more than her and it really XXXXed her head up for a while.

you don't have to lie to him but some things don't need to be explained until he is older

you don't have to lie to him but some things don't need to be explained until he is older
I'm no parent and it's easy to be a keyboard quarterback but this is what I'd go with.

Good luck, I don't imagine this being an easy conversation to have.

that sucks you have to do that cuz shes an idiot!!!!! I have a 5 month old myself and am super glad we are both level headed people, same for both of our parents. Id be honest but leave out the super bad things till hes older.

Tell him she has problems and can't get away from things right now (even though she could)

IDK man as i type this it all seems like lies. And later on hes going to ask when he's 15 "Dad why'd you lie to me about my mom?" And that will suck to!!!!

Hard decision man. Best of luck to you.

And way to step up to the plate with your kid!!!! Not often guys do that.

Tell him his mom is sick and that she will be back when she gets better, and that she loves him, there is no reason to turn such a young child against his mother by telling him she chooses drugs over him. both my wifes parents went to rehab when she was about 3-4 and he grandparents went on and on about how they liked drugs more than her and it really XXXXed her head up for a while.

I'm no parent and it's easy to be a keyboard quarterback but this is what I'd go with.

Good luck, I don't imagine this being an easy conversation to have.

I concur. Good luck man.

state issued drug tests... taking children away from their parents since ... (dont know when they started exactly).

i dunno about you guys, but my parents werent perfect. they dont train you to raise kids just cause your getting some booty... stop taking kids away because the parents smoked some weed.

just explain to the kid how the government doesnt think his mom can smoke weed and not put her baby in the oven.

its funny how tea baggers dont give a shit about stuff like this, theyre drug addicts so it doesnt matter... but government dont get much bigger than this.

state issued drug tests... taking children away from their parents since ... (dont know when they started exactly).

i dunno about you guys, but my parents werent perfect. they dont train you to raise kids just cause your getting some booty... stop taking kids away because the parents smoked some weed.

just explain to the kid how the government doesnt think his mom can smoke weed and not put her baby in the oven.

its funny how tea baggers dont give a shit about stuff like this, theyre drug addicts so it doesnt matter... but government dont get much bigger than this.

He said coke too. I wouldn't want my kid to watch "mommy" do linds on the kitchen table.

He said coke too. I wouldn't want my kid to watch "mommy" do linds on the kitchen table.

Additionally, instead of clogging this thread with your own, stupid political banter you should let the man get some advice on how to handle this situation.

Nominated.

Additionally, instead of clogging this thread with your own, stupid political banter you should let the man get some advice on how to handle this situation.

Nominated.

Nominate xcm then too. He started the pokitical banter. And i gave advice, all you did was try to be god of the interwebs!

I would agree smoking weed is not a major issue until someone makes it a major issue. If the women is living with dealers and choosing to have no association with her kid and has a boyfriend who went to jail, she has a problem. I didn't read the OP thinking wow she is a really responsible mother who happens to enjoy some weed on the weekend. I read it as a person who hasn't grown up yet and has a drug problem and shouldn't be raising a child.

Weed may not be a problem for you but there are certainly people out there who make it a problem. She may very well be the type of person to go buy weed rather than feed and clothe her child...

I would agree smoking weed is not a major issue until someone makes it a major issue. If the women is living with dealers and choosing to have no association with her kid and has a boyfriend who went to jail, she has a problem. I didn't read the OP thinking wow she is a really responsible mother who happens to enjoy some weed on the weekend. I read it as a person who hasn't grown up yet and has a drug problem and shouldn't be raising a child.

Weed may not be a problem for you but there are certainly people out there who make it a problem. She may very well be the type of person to go buy weed rather than feed and clothe her child...
That and as was pointed out, it wasn't just weed. She popped for cocaine as well. In the immortal words of Rick James, "Cocaine's a hell of a drug."

Also, I agree with telling him she's sick and can't be with him right now. That's not lying, it's the truth: drug addiction/alcoholism/etc is classified as a diagnosable disease.

Well as long as we're all for government intervention, homegirl needs to have her tubes tied.

I would also suggest finding a local support group for single fathers, we can tell you what we WOULD do but guarantee you'll find a few guys in your situation that can tell you what they DID.

Good luck man

Back