• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sylvania Zevo LED's

Thanks... I need to get this figured out as I really like the LEDs.

I noticed that when I don't have my parking lights or headlights turned on, the new LED breake/tail lights flash when the OE blinkers are installed now. The Left blinker is flashing like normal and the Right brake/LED flashes with it and visa-versa. If I have my parking lights on or full-on headlights turned on the blinkers work as they should and I don't get the extra flashing (I'd assume because the tail light LEDs are already on).

If I can get the electronic/flasher relay deal figured out I'll install the LED's in the turn signals as well. :)

Now time to do some internet search and see what I can find out.

Turns out that I have some funkyness too. When I tested, I had my parking lights on so I really didn't notice.

Turn signal (either direction) also causes BOTH brake lights to flash with them. Turn signal on other side with also flash for a split second. All my flashing is normal speed, just having extra things light up. I'm not happy right now.

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm

We have to do similar things for bikes. Suspect it's possible to find a car version of these things or you could adapt one to work. Makes me wish I did the led conversion last year like I wanted on the bike so I could try the module out on the XJ too. May be worth the try if anyone has one of these installed on a bike.

I still haven't had much of a chance to try and figure mine out. I do know that if I turn on my parking lights during the day it allows my blinkers/brake lights to work as they should but that's not the proper solution.

If you come up w/a working solution please post so I'll have something to reference and I'll do the same. I'm not a wiring expert so something that's not a simple plug-and-play gives me anxiety. :)

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm

We have to do similar things for bikes. Suspect it's possible to find a car version of these things or you could adapt one to work. Makes me wish I did the led conversion last year like I wanted on the bike so I could try the module out on the XJ too. May be worth the try if anyone has one of these installed on a bike.

Maybe these -
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/ZEVO/Pages/LED-Load-Equalizer.aspx

Maybe if that will eat up all the extra voltage so it won't bleed back into wiring harness. I think that would be worth a try. Would need one on each blinker wire. If you have any resistors lying around, you could also do the math to figure out how big they need to be to bleed enough voltage that way too. Or even better a circuit that would send 7 volts to ground and the other 5 to the led.

It's my understanding those also get pretty hot and will melt plastic... so it'd be important to not mount them to the plastic taillight housing or else it'll melt... but again, I'm not an electronics expert and that was one of the various internet posts I read about adding these resistors.

It's my understanding those also get pretty hot and will melt plastic... so it'd be important to not mount them to the plastic taillight housing or else it'll melt... but again, I'm not an electronics expert and that was one of the various internet posts I read about adding these resistors.

Yeah, they do get hot since the resistor is essentially converting the electrical current to heat. Best option would be to convert that part of the wiring harness to 5v but you would need new relays and switches or a controller like I posted for motorcycles. That's why I mention building a circuit that would just send the extra 7v to ground. That would turn your body (or wherever your ground would go) into a huge heat sink that would handle the heat fine.

In playing around with my lights over the weekend, I found that simply replacing 1 (driver's side) tail/brake light with an incandescent bulb makes everything work properly. I need to dig up a schematic for the tail/brake and turn signal circuits. I'm not really wanting to run a load equalizer so I'm looking for another solution.

Interesting... I swapped out the LED blinkers for incandescent bulbs and that took care of my fast flashing issues, but I still get weird 'double' blinking in that my turn signals work as they should, but it also flashed my LED brake light on the opposite side ever so slightly... unless I have my parking lights on.

It would be nice to be able to just go ALL LED for their advantage in life, durability and brightness.

Do you have your 3rd Brake Light (top light) using an LED or did you leave the incandescent bulb in there? I replaced it w/an LED and wondering if that might be enough (if I swap it back to Inc) to make everything work right. I have no idea and don't like just throwing parts at a problem... but I'd do it if it would work.

Why don't you want an equalizer? They are designed for exactly this issue. Something needs to soak up the additional voltage. That's why using one incandescent helps. It's either that or a complete rewire of the circuit with 5v relays, I suspect. Never done it that way but I bet that's how the newer cars that come stock do it.

Interesting... I swapped out the LED blinkers for incandescent bulbs and that took care of my fast flashing issues, but I still get weird 'double' blinking in that my turn signals work as they should, but it also flashed my LED brake light on the opposite side ever so slightly... unless I have my parking lights on.

It would be nice to be able to just go ALL LED for their advantage in life, durability and brightness.

Do you have your 3rd Brake Light (top light) using an LED or did you leave the incandescent bulb in there? I replaced it w/an LED and wondering if that might be enough (if I swap it back to Inc) to make everything work right. I have no idea and don't like just throwing parts at a problem... but I'd do it if it would work.

3rd light is LED. That was the first place I installed a ZEVO to see how bright it was.

Why don't you want an equalizer? They are designed for exactly this issue. Something needs to soak up the additional voltage. That's why using one incandescent helps. It's either that or a complete rewire of the circuit with 5v relays, I suspect. Never done it that way but I bet that's how the newer cars that come stock do it.

I believe the issue is more due to the fact that current can't go back through the ZEVO units. The system seems to act the same if the ZEVO is installed or no light at all is installed. Yes, the resistor would solve that. I might just do that.

I believe the issue is more due to the fact that current can't go back through the ZEVO units. The system seems to act the same if the ZEVO is installed or no light at all is installed. Yes, the resistor would solve that. I might just do that.

Yeah, that system measures the voltage or resistance (don't remember which) returned and if it's not within spec, it fast flashes. In this case, it seems like it's bleeding the extra voltage down the line to the brake lights. I wouldn't be concerned about heat from a resistor or load equalizer unless you're running your parking lights all the time but even then, you can find places near the marker lights with plenty of airflow.

I just did zevo LEDs in the tail and in the front blinkers. I bent over the unused pins to the side that touches the contact in the socket. This makes the second set of LEDs light up. I did this on the reverse lights and the rear blinkers. I did the Sylvania load equalizers behind the tail lights and I still have fast blinkers. I'll be adding them up front as well. I can't say that the reverse lights are any brighter but I like the whiter color. And I like that the LEDs don't fade in and fade out like the standard bulbs.

Back