• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE cost

cherokeered said:
I have been trying to find out if a stock front DS will bolt directly to a SYE (not a HnT) ....so you have stated it will bolt up to the PORC but what about the Omix Aida SYE or any other full SYE???? Is there a writeup for this or any pix?

Yes. They all use the same yoke. You need a front driveshaft from an auto, I don't know how far back the year splits go, but anythign from the 90s works as far as I know. I used a 98, according to the salvage yard.

citRon said:
one of the reasons to do a hack-n-tap is how easy it is to do yourself in your garage or driveway. With the PORC and other sye kits, you have to disassemble the T-case to install, which, if not mechanically inclined, can prove a little tricky. Lots of people have used the h&t on built rigs with no problem.

Personally, I think it's asking more for people to drill a hole centerlined with the shaft, and make a perpendicular cut.

Unless someone is mechanically braindead, installing a full SYE isn't that tough, and is far easier if you leave the transfer case installed. I just installed one this evening. Took three hours start to finish, on my back in gravel. That's including the time it took to replace all 6 u joints in the driveshafts.

Remember for those that asked, a auto front shaft will not be long enough if you have a manual or a D35 rear. Can use some ZJ front shafts instead for those.

Gojeep said:
Remember for those that asked, a auto front shaft will not be long enough if you have a manual or a D35 rear. Can use some ZJ front shafts instead for those.

Using a front DS works great for my 98 with D35 rear and 4.5" lift. No problems yet.

wayne2300 said:
Does anyone know what zj (year) shaft you need if you have a ax15 and a d35?

I have a ax-15 and a 8.25, any one know exactly what front DS will work for me with a SYE? There used to be a chart with all the lengths but I lost it...

the_weirdo said:
Using a front DS works great for my 98 with D35 rear and 4.5" lift. No problems yet.

Just because you are running it does not mean it is the 'RIGHT' length!
Know of an account where someone was killed due to too short a rear drive shaft. Things were fine for years until the first time he went into the dunes and got some air. The driveshaft dropped out and on landing helped him flip over onto his roof like a poll vault crushing the cab and him.

Gojeep said:
Just because you are running it does not mean it is the 'RIGHT' length!
Know of an account where someone was killed due to too short a rear drive shaft. Things were fine for years until the first time he went into the dunes and got some air. The driveshaft dropped out and on landing helped him flip over onto his roof like a poll vault crushing the cab and him.

Not everyone jumps dunes.

muddeprived said:
Not everyone jumps dunes.

Thats not the point. Marcus is saying is its unsafe PERIOD, not just for the dunes. No need to get smart...

okay so I need a slip yoke eliminator kit for an XJ from PORC and the front driveshaft from an automatic 90's XJ.

I have the 231 and an Auto on a 2000XJ

So the front driveshaft from an XJ is actually too short? I'm friggin confused.

I don't wheel all that much and I certainly don't jump my jeep. A front DS from an XJ should be fine for me then correct?

What about a front DS from a ZJ? One of the brothers at my fraternity has one sitting around from his ZJ that he converted from a 231 to a 242 (I think). I know it has the slip yoke built into the DS. I can try and take a picture of it sometime.

And where is the best place to get a NON-H&T for the best price. Someone said that the PORC was only 30 more than the 85 dollar H&T from RE. On PORCs website their SYE kit is 180 dollars...

Thanks.

Wow I'm super confused also.
On a 98 XJ Sport with NP231, what kind of SYE would I need? I was planning on getting the RE one but I guess it's the HnT?

I was not aware that I had to go out and buy a shaft...what's the code for this shaft I need?

Here's my input. I have a 2000 XJ with about 6" of lift, auto, D44, and NP231.

I have the PORC SYE which we installed in the Jeep when I was at 4.5" of lift. I had help from fellow NAXJA'rs, but it was still pretty straight forward.

My wife has a 2000 TJ, auto, D44, NP231. We installed the Advanced Adapters SYE from Rusty's (best price). The kits are identical! The install was the same, but we removed the t-case on the TJ as we were doing other work as well.

Anyway, for my XJ, I am running a front driveshaft in the front and rear. My measurement is close to 33". My front and rear are within 1/2" of each other so they can be swapped and I only need one spare! This does not mean these will be your measurements. I recommend that you go to a junkyard and buy a couple of front driveshafts. My factory one worked up front, my rear came from an 1987. Install the SYE, then take your measurments. Check your driveshafts, then have them lengthened/shortening if needed. Also, have both shafts checked and balanced and get the u-joints checked or replaced.

Here are the links for the SYE kits:

AA from Rusty's:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...e=rustys&Product_Code=AASYE&Category_Code=SYE

PORC:
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...id=13&osCsid=ac4a4f4b6a2775a84d013fdd8fe47fe1

Good luck!

Last edited:
so PORC sells their SYE kit for 183 shipped on ebay (and yes, it's from PORC). If I do that, all I'll need is a front DS from any XJ... i have the 8.25 rear axle. Granted i may need the joints checked (I'm curious how much this would cost), any XJ front DS will work? Or does it just depend?

What about the joints being correct? will the joints from the front DS match the TC and my 8.25?

Oh, and I'm still curious about whether a ZJ front DS will work...?

ty20404 said:
so PORC sells their SYE kit for 183 shipped on ebay (and yes, it's from PORC). If I do that, all I'll need is a front DS from any XJ... i have the 8.25 rear axle. Granted i may need the joints checked (I'm curious how much this would cost), any XJ front DS will work? Or does it just depend?

What about the joints being correct? will the joints from the front DS match the TC and my 8.25?

Oh, and I'm still curious about whether a ZJ front DS will work...?

Not just ANY XJ. I have one front shaft here that is shorter. I do NOT know if that is because it is out of a manual or what. I ordered it from a salvage yard, and specified that I wanted one from a 98 auto, because I know they work. What I got is the same but 2" shorter. I know for a fact that the stock front factory shaft from my 98 auto is the correct length to work with 4.5" of lift and a 8.25. I do not know the application of this shorter one for certain, but I suspect it is from a 5 speed. So be careful.

the_weirdo said:
Yes, that is the whole point of the SYE - to put in a new driveshaft with a double cardan (also called CV) joint.
I used the Hack N Tap on my 242. HnT was $90. Front DS was $20 from the junkyard. Problem solved for $110.
What year is yours? I know RE lists different parts for the different year, because you said you used a Spicer 211229x, does that mean that you have the earlier years and used the wrong year RE kit?

Also want to help :) jk.

Damn, I'm beyond confused now...

I have a 2000XJ w/ NP231 Automatic Trans.

I'm going up to 4.5" of lift, and I'm going to use a PORC SYE kit.

Anyone have a good, verified location that says exactly what I need?

I already verified that a ZJ front shaft will work w/ my application IF I had a manual trans, which i don't.

Back