• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switch & Relay Box Writeup (56k - better go get your boyz for help)

very clean. i recently wired up my jeep. the only thing im wondering about is... by running that wire all the way back to that relay box then back up front wrent you losing some power. the wires length would cause more impedance right? i know i first hooked up 2 of my lights without a relay so there was prolly 10 more feet of wire, and when i rewired and put in a relay close to the bumper, the lights got noticably brighter.
anyways nice looking clean job.

shloky said:
To sound like quite the dumbass.

How are you guys running these wires?

I use my CB antenna to pull the wires through the pannels - much easier than taking them all off and the CB antenna flex's well enough to get most jobs done...

jayuu said:
very clean. i recently wired up my jeep. the only thing im wondering about is... by running that wire all the way back to that relay box then back up front wrent you losing some power. the wires length would cause more impedance right? i know i first hooked up 2 of my lights without a relay so there was prolly 10 more feet of wire, and when i rewired and put in a relay close to the bumper, the lights got noticably brighter.
anyways nice looking clean job.
i checked it out w/ my meter and the loss is minute

shloky said:
To sound like quite the dumbass.

How are you guys running these wires?
the hardest part is getting it through the firewall. on my '98, there's a nice large grommet on the passenger's side firewall that has a large bundle of wires already running through it. i take a straightened out clothes hanger and punch through the grommet. then tape my wire to the end of the hanger and pull it through. this will bring the wire behind the kick panel on the passenger's side floor. from there, it's all tucked behind the trim

Hey Fitch! I just bought my hobby box and hope to start wiring it up in the next couple weeks. It's pretty much going to be like yours, except that I'm going to put it up front somewhere. Possibly under the hood where my airbox used to be. Anyway, how is the velcrow holding up? Is it still sticking or has the sticky turned to goo? I'm considering cutting a piece of aluminum or a thin piece of plywood to mount everything to. The Al or plywood would mount to the bottom of the box using existing mounting holes in the bottom of the box. What do you think? Anything you would have done different?

the velcro is holding up just fine. but it's inside the vehicle and not inside the hot engine compartment. so i'm not sure how well it would hold up under there. i've been slowly gathering stuff to redo my setup. i will be using a piece of that fake wood paneling (it's pretty thin stuff) to use as a drop-in into the box. i'll mount everything to it, then drop it into the box.

i have also been toying with the idea of moving the box up front. i can't find a good spot where i'm happy with it under the hood. and where i sometimes find myself in deeper water so i want to keep it up as high as possible. so i'm thinking about using the glove box. i'm not 100% warm and fuzzy about it, but i only keep the owner's manual in there anyway.

about the only things i would have done different would be the location and how i secured the relays. i'll just bolt the new setup to the board and not mess with the velcroe.

I think I have some scrap panelling I can use. That would be easier than plywood. I'm going to try to find some sort of weatherproof connectors to get the wires into the box. If there's room I may try to mount the box on the passenger side near the existing fuse box. The would get it up a little higher and make it possible to put the old airbox back let if I decide to.

If I didn't have a CB up there I would make a switchbox like yours also. The switch for my off-road lights (HF) is where the factory switch was, and I can put four toggle switches (round w/ LED) in the where they used to have clock on the older models (opposite idiot lights).

Back