• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake trip July 26-28 2013

So the best part of my weekend, I'm sitting at the bar in the hotel Sunday night trying to kill the memory of the entire weekend.

The (cute) bartender asks me how I'm doing and I tell her I'm broke down in Fresno after a w/e of off-roading.

She points at a guy sitting at the end of the bar and says "Him too"...

Turns out Jim and his group were in Kennedy Meadows when the air suspension in his LR3 takes a dump. He has it towed to the nearest dealer which is across the street.

The best part? We are broke down 250 miles from home and we live 17 miles away from each other.

At least I made a new friend... And after watching videos he had put together of the trips he has done in the past, I think I found a group I can go wheeling with.

Last edited:
So the best part of my weekend, I'm sitting at the bar in the hotel Sunday night trying to kill the memory of the entire weekend.

The (cute) bartender asks me how I'm doing and I tell her I'm broke down in Fresno after a w/e of off-roading.

She points at a guy sitting at the end of the bar and says "Him too"...

Turns out Jim and his group were in Kennedy Meadows when the air suspension in his LR3 takes a dump. He has it towed to the nearest dealer which is across the street.

The best part? We are broke down 250 miles from home and we live 17 miles away from each other.

At least I made a new friend... And after watching videos he had put together of the trips he has done in the past, I think I found a group I can go wheeling with.

Everyone else had a good time, dunno why so were so bummed about the trip. You made it through everything with little to no trouble so why so negative the whole time?

Really sucks you were in such a craptastic mood most of the trip.

Sorry, I guess my neck isn't red enough.

"Wellllll lookey thar. It's a mountain trail covered with boulders and rocks. Let's drive over that sheet... YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWWW!!"

8 hours and half a tank of gas to go 14-1/2 miles to get to a stinky little lake the size of a postcard??? I'd rather dive naked into a swimming pool full of rusty razor blades.

I was asked at one point if I was having a good time... And I thought to myself, "Why no, I'm not having a good time... Just let me bash my front diff off another 27 rocks, THEN I'll be having a good time. Because you know, the first 86 times just wasn't enough for me to really enjoy the weekend.”

Then snapping my track bar on the pavement really sealed the deal.

I can't say anything negative about anyone who was there because you/they were all great people. Very helpful and fun. That trail just sucked balls.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess my neck isn't red enough.

"Wellllll lookey thar. It's a mountain trail covered with boulders and rocks. Let's drive over that sheet... YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWWW!!"

8 hours and half a tank of gas to go 14-1/2 miles to get to a stinky little lake the size of a postcard??? I'd rather dive naked into a swimming pool full of rusty razor blades.

I was asked at one point if I was having a good time... And I thought to myself, "Why no, I'm not having a good time... Just let me bash my front diff off another 27 rocks, THEN I'll be having a good time. Because you know, the first 86 times just wasn't enough for me to really enjoy the weekend.”

Then snapping my track bar on the pavement really sealed the deal.

I can't say anything negative about anyone who was there because you/they were all great people. Very helpful and fun. That trail just sucked balls.

The track bar snapping does suck, but it probably went out due to driving the jeep as hard as you were. You weren't exactly taking it easy on the rocks.

And for the record, your neck is red-er than mine ;) and i'm not that redneck eonugh... yet.

Fire roads are probably more your cup of tea. ;)

Fire roads are probably more your cup of tea. ;)

Or needlepoint... I won't deny it.

It's been said, It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

Spending 8 hours of bouncing off of rocks is not my idea of a good time. Seems kind of monotonous/lame to me.

Glad you got home Chris, sorry it wasn't your type of trail.

I thought the trail name would have been an indicator of the scenery

It was said to be like john Bull only longer. Im pretty sure Chris ran JB before. So to me, it would be no surprise as to how long and how bouldery the trail would be.

I think the straw that broke the camels back was when Chris lost his hat. I gotta say, i chuckled a bit at how mad he was when it flew off. Funnier to me was when he got out to retrieve it and slammed the door as hard as he did. I think i felt the force of the slam in my jeep :p

Back