• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surco safari rack

the smaller size would be perfect size for a sunroof.

Explorer 1, did you order a bunch of extra gutter mount rails direct from Surco?

Surco will ship whatever parts you want to make the size you want and the strength you want. Keep in mind if you're attaching it to the drip rail, that this is just a pinch seam which can easily be bent and cause a roof leak. That's why I added so many roof rails to distribute the weight more evenly.

Since the entire assembly is aluminum, it's rather light and can be handled by one person.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:
Holy crap Fred, 300lbs?! :eek:
Man I refuse to mount my tire on the roof, I have a rack for camp chairs, sleeping bags, shovel and hi-lift maybe 50lbs ... I hesitate to even put a gas can up there. I just hate having weight that high.

Looks like you get it done though, and that's what matters. :thumbup:

Agreed, that the extra weight on top can affect the driving manners.

Many of the multi-day trips I take to remote places merit the extra storage, I shed the rack on local or short rock crawling trips.

IMG_0582.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Holy crap Fred, 300lbs?! :eek:
Man I refuse to mount my tire on the roof, I have a rack for camp chairs, sleeping bags, shovel and hi-lift maybe 50lbs ... I hesitate to even put a gas can up there. I just hate having weight that high.

Looks like you get it done though, and that's what matters. :thumbup:

Meh. It all depends on what you do.
4132088196_221e309b88_z.jpg

Thats a 150 Lb tent and 170 Lb of fuel. No ill effects. Granted I wasn't rock crawling with it but to get you where you need to go an XJ handles the weight just fine.

Explorer one what is the length of your surco? I see there is 10 clamps does it have ten supports going across or do the gutter clamps bolt directly to rack?

New here

99 XJ sport 4dr

I built this rack and ladder because there weren't any big or strong enough. I used 7/8" DOM tube for both. The floor of the rack is triangulated so 3 people can hang out up there and it doesn't flex a 1/4".

b236e9c3c27b6f19cc994170364fda83

3b6a16ea2800a7c8b1b98d88288ee138

This is an old thread, you might have better luck if you PM him.

If you get a surco make sure you get the gutter mounts.
I had mine mount to the stock crap and it all ripped off my roof half way though one trip through the rubicon with a 35 and an icechest up there.

Back