• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior Super 44 Kit?? Any feedback??

CRASH said:
Tri-County gear has a 35 spline setup available for a 44 now. Both full float and semi, with an ARB.

If I was building a rear 44, that's the way I would go.

CRASH

You still have that XJ dana 44 right, or did you sell it? :) Are you planning on going with a Ford 9" soon, or is your 8.8 holding up o.k.? What is the weak link of the dana 44 with the 35 spline alloy shafts, and CTM or OX u-joints? What's the max tire size on a 35 spline 44, 37's? Should be able to run those without too much concern.

Big Red said:
You still have that XJ dana 44 right, or did you sell it? :) Are you planning on going with a Ford 9" soon, or is your 8.8 holding up o.k.? What is the weak link of the dana 44 with the 35 spline alloy shafts, and CTM or OX u-joints? What's the max tire size on a 35 spline 44, 37's? Should be able to run those without too much concern.

Waiting with bated breath for Crash's answers...

Lawn Cher' said:
Waiting with bated breath for Crash's answers...

I know Andy had problems with the 8.8 (spinning tubes etc), just was seeing how it's holding up. That's not a bad axle either and they are very common. I was just wondering because Andy had a XJ 44 for sale. I think a Ford 9" with 35 or even 40 spline shafts hi-pinion 3rd member, and/or nodular housing takes over where the dana 44 left off rather nicely. :)

The 35 spline dana 44 sounds like a nice viable option for someone looking to build their stocker which wants a detroit, gears, and alloy axles anyways. But then if you break, you cannot get OEM spares for them, but with 35 spline shafts, you will have to try real hard to break them with 35's or even 37's.

Last edited:
Just talked to the guys at Tri-County and the 35 spline setup sounds reasonable as well. $225 for each axle with bearings and retainer plates and $790 for the 35 spline ARB. Wouldn't be a bad route to go for me if I wanted the ARB.

1toughxj said:
Just talked to the guys at Tri-County and the 35 spline setup sounds reasonable as well. $225 for each axle with bearings and retainer plates and $790 for the 35 spline ARB. Wouldn't be a bad route to go for me if I wanted the ARB.

Could you get it with a detroit or spool? Would you need/want a ARB in the rear? A detroit isn't that bad, but what the heck if you want a front ARB, you'll have the compressor anyways.

It didn't sound like a Detroit was an option, and as far as a spool goes my XJ is a daily driver so the spool is out of the question for me. I am opting for the rear Detroit just for the fact that it will always be back there and functional independant of any electronics or air lines, unless I grenade it. For my HP44 front, I think there is an Oxlocker in my future, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

XJ4x4 said:
I forgot who makes it but someone makes a kit for D30s and I think 35's that lets you install 35 spline shafts. All you gotta to is swap the carrier and bearings.

Or you could just go with a Super 35 kit that comes with 30 spline shafts for a D35 and a ARB.
35 spline shafts in a D30 and D35!! Yes! I want that!

:rolleyes:

Big Red said:

I'm going to a 46 spline 8.8. Titanium tubes, custom shaved center section, plutonium gearset.

At first, I was concerned about the weight of the plutonium gearset affecting my mileage, but I think it will be OK. Check out the specs:

Plutonium-239 is one of the two fissile materials used for the production of nuclear weapons and in some nuclear reactors as a source of energy. The other fissile material is uranium-235. Plutonium-239 is virtually nonexistent in nature. It is made by bombarding uranium-238 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. Uranium-238 is present in quantity in most reactor fuel; hence plutonium-239 is continuously made in these reactors. Since plutonium-239 can itself be split by neutrons to release energy, plutonium-239 provides a portion of the energy generation in a nuclear reactor.
The physical properties of plutonium metal are summarized in Table 1.

TABLE 1.

Physical Characteristics of Plutonium Metal Color: silver
Melting point: 641 deg. C
Boiling point: 3232 deg. C
Density: 16 to 20 grams/cubic centimeter

Pretty sweet setup, and I'm sure no one else is running it.

CRASH

P.S. I'm also investing in some lead shielding material for the diff. No need to kill valuable sperm if it can be avoided.

CRASH said:
I'm going to a 46 spline 8.8. Titanium tubes, custom shaved center section, plutonium gearset.

At first, I was concerned about the weight of the plutonium gearset affecting my mileage, but I think it will be OK. Check out the specs:

Plutonium-239 is one of the two fissile materials used for the production of nuclear weapons and in some nuclear reactors as a source of energy. The other fissile material is uranium-235. Plutonium-239 is virtually nonexistent in nature. It is made by bombarding uranium-238 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. Uranium-238 is present in quantity in most reactor fuel; hence plutonium-239 is continuously made in these reactors. Since plutonium-239 can itself be split by neutrons to release energy, plutonium-239 provides a portion of the energy generation in a nuclear reactor.
The physical properties of plutonium metal are summarized in Table 1.

TABLE 1.

Physical Characteristics of Plutonium Metal Color: silver
Melting point: 641 deg. C
Boiling point: 3232 deg. C
Density: 16 to 20 grams/cubic centimeter

Pretty sweet setup, and I'm sure no one else is running it.

CRASH

P.S. I'm also investing in some lead shielding material for the diff. No need to kill valuable sperm if it can be avoided.

:shocked: :roflmao: Good one Crash.

I think you will be just fine with a 35 or 40 spline 9" like you know you want. Where do you dig up this info? Also the sperm comment is a little puzzling. :eek:

Last edited:
Big Red said:
:shocked: :roflmao: Good one Crash.

I think you will be just fine with a 35 or 40 spline 9" like you know you want. Where do you dig up this info? Also the sperm comment is a little puzzling. :eek:

I dabble in nuclear engineering as a hobby.

CRASH

In next month's issue . . .
PRINCESS III - Anti-Gravity Crawler!!!

:laugh3:

Big Red said:
Also the sperm comment is a little puzzling. :eek:

Jokes are sooooo much better when you have to explain them. :rolleyes:

Back to the top

BUMP!

TTT

Well, I got the Superior kit. Everything looks good. I just need to get a ring and pinion and I should be set. Gotta get the axles, and locker in and reweld the leaf spring perches in and I should be ready to bolt it in.

Back