• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions on alternative oil filter mounting

Mr. Glock

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched the topic and not found the information I was looking for. I am looking to eliminate the factory oil filter adapter in favor of something not so prone to leaking. I have seen on another fourm where someone mounted an alternative filter directly to the block. If anyone has done this I would appreciate your input. The only problems they appeared to run into were with old motor mounts resulting in the motor shifting. I will be running brown dogs, so I dont see this as an issue. I am also interested in any information from someone who has remote mounted the filter. Thanks.

I used to use one of the Amsoil remote filters on my dakota with a 318. NO, it's not a heep/4.0L but I never had issues with it. Last I checked they had the single remote filter setup, and a dual with prefilter.
There are other companies that make them as well.
Note: It will increase your fluid capacity. How much, will depend on the setup and filters used.

I have also used one of the amsoil kits, but on a gm 5.7 . Although I am a huge fan of amsoil fluids, I did not like the slight drop in oil pressure the dual filter setup presented. The remote kits I am considering are the offerings from Jegs and Summit, I will look into a single filter remote from amsoil though. I am honestly more interested in mounting the filter to the block, with remote mounting being a viable option if need be. My only concern with giving block mounting a try is if it would be more prone to damage while wheeling.

If you put in good motor mounts, you dont have to worry a out filter damage. Also use the smallest filter you can on the block yo create space around the filter.

I read a lot about this last night, i decided to just put in new O-rings for $6

I personally have decided not to just change the O-rings again as this is a reoccuring issue and I want a longer term solution. I agree that good motor mounts are key to eliminate the filter shifting into the bracket. I believe the brown dog mounts to be some of the best availible, so Im not too concerned there. However you get into a mixed bag when it comes to filter selection. Different filters are rated for different applications, and therefore have different flow rates. I do believe that I have found a filter that would be sufficient for my needs. Due to the lack of information on this mod I intend to do a write up with pics and follow up with a mid and long term analysis.

I have searched the topic and not found the information I was looking for. I am looking to eliminate the factory oil filter adapter in favor of something not so prone to leaking. I have seen on another fourm where someone mounted an alternative filter directly to the block. If anyone has done this I would appreciate your input. The only problems they appeared to run into were with old motor mounts resulting in the motor shifting. I will be running brown dogs, so I dont see this as an issue. I am also interested in any information from someone who has remote mounted the filter. Thanks.

Just install the OEM seal kit for under $10.00 and it's good for another 100K. You can get the seal kit at the dealer ship parts department.

Fram PH3614 and Bosh D3330 fits the block, and have the same specs as the oem filter.

Cross reference that filter to see what vehicles it fits, then buy a Napa Gold filter for that vehicle.

Apparently they are very common toyota V6 and Lexus 4.0L V8 filters.

Fram Ph3614 fits a 1995 Lexus Ls400 4.0L V8

Buy whatever filter you prefer for that vehicle.

The link i posted above shows the specs for the oem filter, and the Ph3614.

You should be good to go.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for Cal. I'm glad you posted before I got around to doing the block mount. That setup looks awesome, I also appreciate that you have all of the part numbers listed. It makes my decision too easy, thank you.

Last edited:
People ask about this one a lot, so I tried to document the hell out of it and include part numbers.

The hardest part is getting that roll pin out of the block while its in the car. I ended up cutting it.

There are a lot cheaper parts out there available, summit has kits as cheap as $60. My setup is probably $250 not counting the steel braided hose, but its all top shelf parts.

Back