• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid thermostat housing question?

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
So I wanted to put on an aftermarket guage to replace my non functioning oil pressure and water temp guages, and got the oil working but am lost as to where to put the sensor. The port on the head is too small for the sensor on the guages I purchased (sunpro cp8218 triple). My thermostat housing does not have a port for a sensor, and I can't find any that do for my 84 2.5.
Will an early 4.0 housing be the same and bolt up? I'd not any suggestions? If there's no other option ill drill and tap mine.

You could do this:

P5230035.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P5230034.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a block of aluminium welded to a brand new thermostat housing. Another option might be to install the sensor in the line that runs from the housing to the heater core.

I found it easier to weld to a perfectly clean housing than to an old, contaminated one.

You could possibly use the block drain plug port...under the exhaust manifold on the driver side. The one on the right (not highlighted)

I don't know what the reading would be there and if it would do what you want it to, but there is a ready made hole there that most people never use.

If it uses the same housing as the 4.0L, you can use the later model housing with a threaded hole as used on later models.

I was hoping to run a housing with a port, anyone know for fact that the newer 4.0 housing will bolt up to an 84 2.5?

Dorman 902-306 on amazon for about 12$, buy it and if it doesn't fit take it back. I am sure your local parts store will stock this item.

Edit: CQ PN W6074, is the same for both 2.5 and 4.0L. Which means that the later model housing will work.

Last edited:
Back