• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumped majorly

i thank u for the book actually. there is nothing plugged in either the radiator, block, or head. air flow is as good as it can get without a fan shroud (but ive never ran one before so i dont see how that is the problem) the aux electric fan is out of commission because the temperature sender that runs it on and off is not working. the fan clutch moves with the same resistance whether the engine is hot or not. i base my fact on the fan clutch by knowing everything else in the cooling system is new (besides the bypassed heater core). the engine will sit around 210 220 like normal then about a minute later its 250 260. and i cannot hear the clutch engage so i know it isnt engaging. im thinking of ripping out the p.o.s and putting in another oem electric fan and running two of those on a switch on the dash. ive been at this for 3 weeks now, i have everyone stumped on this. even you guys.

I do thought thank you for all your help!

well, the two issues you have there are most likely the culprits. for a puller fan (fan mounted behind the rad pulling air through) a shroud is almost manditory. i know you said you havent needed one before, but it helps so much. down here in arizona, my buddy has found that out the hard way. with a fan shroud and a functioning e fan he doesnt overheat. without the schroud his e fan is amost always on and he overheats. both are not really optional with the XJs cooling preferances. a shroud is cheap at the junkyards and beyond easy to replace. get the aux fan fixed as well as it helps out when the mech fan just isnt enough

i am lucky, i no longer deal with cooling issues in my heep- 3 core rad, late model e fan, cooling system flushes yearly (speaking of which i need to do) and a taurus e fan in place of my failing mech fan. i have also added hood vents to help vent out some heat from the engine bay to save some underhood rubber and plastic. one may think this all to be overboard, but it is an xj in phoenix afterall. the fan DCC fan controller i have rarely kicks the taurus fan above 50% power.

makes perfect sense. so i will be heading to the junkyard. i have heard of the taurus fan in place of the mech fan mod. ut idk how to fit that sucker in there! lol the fan itself is bigger than the radiator lol

I've never heard the fan clutch engage, remember it isn't a hard lock up, even in the hot mode there is some slippage. The clutch is filled with some sort of goop, the valve (hot mode) just stiffens the clutch some.

make sure your cooling system is fully functional before doing a taurus fan. otherwise its just putting a bandaid over a gushing neck wound

Back