• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in sand

poorboy_616 said:
A strap is a good thing to carry too....

I usually carry one so I can pull people out here in Long Beach (WA, nto CA).

I normally charge 5 bucks to pull someone, unless I know them, then it's free.....

I never leave home with out a strap, choker chain, and some d-rings.

I just have to comment. I think it's funny how you charge $5 to do a pull. here in winter in MN if someone is stuck, i charge minimum $20 (of course unless i know them), and everyone gladly accepts. just humerus.

is that even legal? I was reading another post on here a while back that was saying that charging without a lisence is illegal...

but most cops don't really care...

HMGanja said:
I still dont understand his engine stalling in first, but not in second gear? If it was the sand "bogging down" the motor, and causing it to stall, it would have only been wanting to stall worse in second gear.

You're right... that is weird! hmm... just one of those things I guess...:dunno:

I'm almost wondering if, when you tried to start in first, you didn't give it enough gas to compensate for the sand, but when you had it in second, you over compensated for second gear and it worked...

...Just a thought

codyj86 said:
I never leave home with out a strap, choker chain, and some d-rings.

I just have to comment. I think it's funny how you charge $5 to do a pull. here in winter in MN if someone is stuck, i charge minimum $20 (of course unless i know them), and everyone gladly accepts. just humerus.

unfortunately I am rather lax on that policy, if the person is an ass, they get charged, if there nice, I let them go....

tayman said:
is that even legal? I was reading another post on here a while back that was saying that charging without a lisence is illegal...

but most cops don't really care...

I am part of the family Bussiness pf lawn care and odd jobs (attic/garage cleanouts, house cleaning, mechical work, ect. ect.) and we do have a license, so I can legaly charge to pull you out. There is one stipulation, I physically CANNOT touch YOUR vehicle during an extraction, I can tell you where to put the hook, but YOU must put it on and take it off. Otherwise I would have to tow company insurance, and that ain't cheap.....

Last edited:
Pharaoh XJ said:
Airing down your tires will help you alot but you its good to learn to drive with higher PSI more challenging but you ll get used to it.

Things to keep in mind:
1- Maintain your inertia & speed
2- When you are stopping try not to use the brakes as sand will buildup infront of your tires
3- If you feel that the car is starting to sink in the sand try to steer left to right fast might help if not NEVER FLOOR IT. stop put in 4LO the reverse the SLOWLY rev to ~1500.

We have some serious sand around here and we drive 90% of time in 2WD

I'm curious, what size tire are you running?

I've read a couple of articles about tire width and driving in sand interested in hearing about your experiences.

karstic said:

I've read a couple of articles about tire width and driving in sand interested in hearing about your experiences.

225/75-15 Marshall All-Season Radials. Mall crawler tires at best. PO put them on, they are worthless (even aired down to 12PSI) in loose sand.....

poorboy_616 said:
225/75-15 Marshall All-Season Radials. Mall crawler tires at best. PO put them on, they are worthless (even aired down to 12PSI) in loose sand.....

Oh not you, I was asking Pharoah XJ.

Although even airing down a street tire will give you better flotation in the sand.

karstic said:

I am running Pirelli Scorpion ATs 235s and its stock, 94 auto.

In the sand, almost any tire will do, people here prefer tires that have no thread on them.
Its all about throttle & speed, more gas wont get me anywhere but deeper.

Larger tires will provide bigger surface area = flotation

But I am a 21 yr student too & I am saving for a long travel suspension kit, prerunner stuff.

I am part of the family Bussiness pf lawn care and odd jobs (attic/garage cleanouts, house cleaning, mechical work, ect. ect.) and we do have a license, so I can legaly charge to pull you out. There is one stipulation, I physically CANNOT touch YOUR vehicle during an extraction, I can tell you where to put the hook, but YOU must put it on and take it off. Otherwise I would have to tow company insurance, and that ain't cheap.....

I gotcha... very cool.

karstic said:
Oh not you, I was asking Pharoah XJ.

Although even airing down a street tire will give you better flotation in the sand.

Even though your question wasn't aimed at me, it's still good advice....

BTW, I live (literally) three minutes from the beach....(I usually don't air down unless I am goign to be on the sand for a while....)

Back