• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker Build...

Joev

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's been a year since my last big jeep project. Time for another..Stroker Build on my 93 4.0 motor..Love the 4.0:smootch:

So I just started doing all the research and bookmarking a ton of write ups. I have lots to learn and lots to decide how I want to do my build so I'm a long way from where I will be.

My question is to anyone that has done a stroker build or knows about them. Looks like there is a good bit of machine/engine work that will need to be done - cylinder bore, crank balance, redeck the block..and so on.

Does anyone have a recommentation for a shop that is familiar with this type of work? Any of the stroker veterans out there that can send me a contact they used..I'm located in Chester County, PA - Downingtwon. Just for a point of reference..

I have a ton of documents to research but the machine shop info is a key to the project.

Anyone information would be very appreciated. Thanks..Joe:wave:

RW enterprises. Strasburg rd, thorndale/coatesville area. If you look em up in the local phone book they are under 'machine shops'

I just had the build the short block of my ...other...project car. Great prices IMO just as an example I got it, hot tanked, bored, honed, decked AND assembled (crank and pistons) for around $575.

I actually asked them about stroker stuff when I was down there, The guy I dealt with seemed very intrigued. Said they had done a few jeep engines before, but its more 'race car' oriented. If I ever decide to do a stroker, I'm using them!

Well, it's been a year since my last big jeep project. Time for another..Stroker Build on my 93 4.0 motor..Love the 4.0:smootch:

So I just started doing all the research and bookmarking a ton of write ups. I have lots to learn and lots to decide how I want to do my build so I'm a long way from where I will be.

My question is to anyone that has done a stroker build or knows about them. Looks like there is a good bit of machine/engine work that will need to be done - cylinder bore, crank balance, redeck the block..and so on.

Does anyone have a recommentation for a shop that is familiar with this type of work? Any of the stroker veterans out there that can send me a contact they used..I'm located in Chester County, PA - Downingtwon. Just for a point of reference..

I have a ton of documents to research but the machine shop info is a key to the project.

Anyone information would be very appreciated. Thanks..Joe:wave:

Don't know of any shops in your area, but if ya have any questions on/along the build just ask.

STROKER

Joey, sounds like a good project. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to mine, but maybe next year. If you need someone to stand around and make crude remarks just let me know!!
Lee

Joey, sounds like a good project. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to mine, but maybe next year. If you need someone to stand around and make crude remarks just let me know!!
Lee

Lee, If you don't mind, I will stand next to ya, and help harass Joe, cause someone will have to ask him why is there a pushrod sticking up through the valve cover? :doh:

-Todd

Great idea guys...Stop on over, bring some coffee and watch me monkey around with my motor..

Stroker/Backroads - thanks for the reply. I'm doing a bunch of research now so I can figure out what I need, what I want and how much$$ this will cost me...ugh..

Should be a fun project. I should ahve done the stroker upgrade when I did my motor swap but I was anxious to get it on the road..Oh, and I ran out of money and permission to spend more..Doesn't that sound too familiar to everyone..

:greensmok

I know you can probably find all this on your own but I'll post it anyways, Not sure what all your looking to build but I was more interested in a 4.6L

I'm sure you found this page,
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Good info on some basic stuff there.
Obviously jeepstrokers.com is a good place to lurk. I learn something new there every time I look :)

Going with .30 over pistons gets you the extra .1 L over stock sized pistons in the 4.5L build. 4.5 sounds weak anyways lol.

Heres a CR calculator, for a lot of butt time to see what kind of differences you can make with different cams/pistons etc.

http://golenengineservice.com/calc/calccr.htm

Theres another good one floating around that gives your SCR and DCR as well

And lastly here just some random crap I thought was nice to have in front me of all at once while comparing and calculating things. Appologies if it gets all scrambled, its a copy/paste from a notepad file.

STOCK SPECS:
DECK HEIGHT: 9.450” – 9.456”
ROD LENGTH: 6.125”
PIN HEIGHT: 1.601”
DISH VOLUME: 13.1cc
DECK CLEARANCE: .022”
STROKE: 3.411”
BORE: 3.875
QUENCH HEIGHT: .040 - .060

258 SPECS:
ROD LENGTH: 5.875” .250” ROD LENGTH DIFFERENCE
STROKE: 3.895” .484 STROKE DIFFERENCE

STOCK STROKER
1.7055 + 1.9475+ STROKE /2
6.125 + 5.875+ ROD LENGTH
1.601 + 1.585+ PIN HEIGHT
0.022 + 0.045+ DECK CLEARANCE
=9.4535 =9.4525=DECK HEIGHT

that last part is meant to be 2 seperate calculations, one for stock and one for stroker, reading down instead of across, looks jumbled without spaces

Yeah..I saw that too. thanks guys for the info. I'll probably not go the 30 over..but you never know.

As for the actual kit, I am planning to piece this thing together (once i have my plan)

Thinking of getting a junkyard 4.0, have it cleaned up, checked, honed out and all so I can build the motor so I can keep my jeep on the road until it's motor pulling time.

Stroker - if you had to put an idea on how long it took to get this done, how long did it take you? roughly..

Well my motor I had built by Mike@Accurate power, but like I said in my pm he is no longer doing them.

Time wise will depend on you and your machine shop, i.e. funds, machine work turn around and such. Not to sure of your ability...are you doing the assembly on the motor? are you gonna have the machine shop assemble the short block/long block...?

Another tip make sure you put a new distributor gear on with the new cam...TRUST ME...
may not sound like much, but it will F you good, at least it did me........:banghead:

STROKER

Found me a motor...Shorty and Dave's special..got the motor and trans...Nice and clean too. Out of a nice 2 door XJ. Can't wait to start pulling it apart and learning all about Strokin....the 4.0 way that is..
:smoker:

Pullin a motor.jpg

also forgot to mention dont bore the block more than .30 over, the cylinder walls are to thin in the 4.0 block.

STROKER

i've heard if guys boring them out .60 over and also doing a 5.0 stroker

x2.

Bill (RCman) has his rebuilt 4.0 at .060 over.
I do.
Well does he have over-heating issues, thats what I've heard happens. I had over-heating issues at .30 over with the ac on, thats why I ripped the a/c out.

STROKER
None. However I am not stroked. Cam'd, ported, etc... but no stroke I wanted something dependable for what was going to be a DD.

Back