• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroke it? Blow it?

Stroke it or blow it

• Total voters
big mike 27 said:
I don't understand why people pay $4,000 to stroke it and have everything done to it, and it's still making under 300 ft-lbs.

My 4.6 stroker cost just over $1100 to build and flywheel torque is ~325lbft, which is equal to the torque output of a stock Chevy LT1.

Dr. Dyno said:
My 4.6 stroker cost just over $1100 to build and flywheel torque is ~325lbft, which is equal to the torque output of a stock Chevy LT1.
That's the cheapest I've ever heard it being.

How much did you do yourself?

big mike 27 said:
That's the cheapest I've ever heard it being.

How much did you do yourself?

I prepped all the parts, ported the head, assembled the head, and assembled the short block myself. The only jobs that I didn't do were the machine shop work and the final engine assembly. Installation cost an extra $240.

just wondering what an average shop would charge to build a stroker(4.6 or 4.7) (if they do all the work) how much more compared to just rebuilding?

Last edited:
Are there currently any Supercharger kits available? I am going to be reviewing some of the links posted throughout this thread.

Thanks
Jason

I was at the junk yard the other day and saw a baaaad 3 cyl in a Geo metro. You might want to call Advance Adapters to see if they have the adapters yet, it's only a matter of time before they do. :looser:

Scrappy said:
Well i got some GREAT news. I am taking an AUTOMATIC specialty calss right now, and the first thing I asked the instructor, was about this. He said that the chrysler 727 came behind the 4.0s and can handle HUGE power with under 800 bucks. he runs one in his 8 sec drag car with a rat motor. So...... he said to try to find a 519??? or a 727. I guess the 519 or 518 whatever it is, has a few beffier parts that would lower the cost in the long run. I REALLY REALLY would like to keep an auto, basically cuz this is ganna be trail only. Highway is the only street it will see.

MATT

The 727 was never offered behind a 4.0 in an XJ. It was used behind the AMC 360 5.9 in the full size Jeeps. Got one in my Grand Waggy. It's a 3 speed. I keep waiting for it to shift into 4th.... There is a 999 that is similar. Maybe that's what he is thinking.

I don't think you will be happy with a 3-speed. How about a TH700R4?

ok so i am going to chime in with a question here..i just profited a freebie ,possibly blown head casket 4.0 motor from a yj (buddy decided to upgrade from 38's to 42 and wants a v8, after he blew it..

I am "motor internal ignorant" but i like to learn and want to do this on my own..so please bear with me as i have read lotsa of inforamtion,, but am probably just confusing myself more..

it seems that most of the stroker write ups i have seen involve a manual tranny..i have an auto...is the aw4 strong enough..if i decide to do this stroker build?

...also i noticed that Dr. Dyno used a newer motor from a 2000 should i think about getting this early ninties motor up and running and swap it out for my 2000 motor and stroke it instead or would it be the same difference either way..

and finally what are the electronic (my nightmare) differences if any..ie the 00' is distributerless verse the yj motor which has one and are there any ecu issues i should be aware of...thanks...

does my ignorance show yet? i am in for it...low buck 4.6 here we come..

Maier

Grifter144 said:
it seems that most of the stroker write ups i have seen involve a manual tranny..i have an auto...is the aw4 strong enough..if i decide to do this stroker build?

...also i noticed that Dr. Dyno used a newer motor from a 2000 should i think about getting this early ninties motor up and running and swap it out for my 2000 motor and stroke it instead or would it be the same difference either way..

and finally what are the electronic (my nightmare) differences if any..ie the 00' is distributerless verse the yj motor which has one and are there any ecu issues i should be aware of...thanks...

does my ignorance show yet? i am in for it...low buck 4.6 here we come..

Maier

1. The AW4 is more than strong enough to handle the torque of a stroker so don't worry. It's virtually bulletproof.

2. You can build a stroker on any year 4.0 block as long as it's a good rebuildable core. The best head to use is from '91-'98, but the problem is that your '00 exhaust manifold won't bolt up to it without the runners being misaligned from the exhaust ports. If you buy a header for a '91-'98 XJ, that problem is solved. You'll need to fabricate supports for the coil rack because the pre-'99 heads don't have the bosses for them.

3. If you keep your existing electronics with sensors and engine computer, and bolt your cam position sensor in the distributor hole of the earlier block, no problem. All you need is a set of oversize injectors e.g. Ford 24lb'ers.

yippie just profited another freebie..got a 4.2 crankshaft/rods from a local guy....toss aways i guess....just got to get the motor honed and get the new crane cam and the ford injectors and i should be set to rebuild...oh i cant wait....looks like this will be one cheap build.....yeehaw..cuz i am broke....
Maier

I´d like to have a stroker in my ´90 trail rig. I can get another engine from a ´90 (non-HO) for dirt cheap. Before I start this project (can´t do much work by myself because of two left hands) I´d like to know, what other parts then a stroker kit (offered by a local dealer:wave: ) I should have.

A SS header from Mopar is bolted to the engine, a cone airfilter in a housing is connected to a snorkle, well, that´s it. What about a bored TB, TB-spacer, better cooling, another exhaust system... What has to be done to prepare the XJ for the new engine?

BlueGerbil,
If you haven’t mechanically inclined, a low buck stroker might be out of reach. The best/most important thing that you need to do is READ, READ, and READ some more. Here are three links that you should digest.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
http://www.madxj.com/

I went to my local u-pull-it yesterday with one purpose in mind....get my hands on a 258 crank and rods. I was very lucky found a 74 FSJ Cherokee that already had the manual tranny removed, but the bellhousing was still in place. A few minutes spent pulling the oil pan and I found a crank with casting #3214723...12 counterweights!!! After pulling the head and driving out the pistons and pulling the crank I was dirty, covered with nasty burnt oil and all I paid was a whopping $21!!!

Yes, there are good deals to be found but sometimes patience is hard to come by.

I'm still looking for the best value (not necessarily the cheapest) with regards to machining the parts. I'm not a penny pinching miser, but I do want to spend as little as possible and still end up with a strong, well built motor. I've found a huge difference in prices from shop to shop. Here's what a highly recommended shop sent me after I requested a price quote from them...

Frank,

Here is the information you requested about the Jeep 4.6 stroker engine.

$750 Parts which includes the following
Master rebuild kit w/ Felpro gaskets, Comp cam and lifter kit, Cloyes roller
timing set, Melling oil pump, Speed Pro pistons w/rings, Clevite bearings, and
a brass freeze plug kit.

ARP rod bolt kit
K-Line valve guide liners

$1115 Labor which includes the following
Hot tank block
install new guides in cylinder head
three angle valve job
mill head flat
set stem height
port and polish cylinder head
deck block to restore original quench distance
bore and hone cylinders w/ torque plate
resize rods w/ arp bolts
mount and align rods and pistons
grind crankshaft
balance crankshaft
install new cam bearings
install oil galley plugs, and freeze plug kit

I may have included some things in the labor charges that you might not be
interested in doing, if that is the case the price will come down. Please call
me if you have any questions regarding this estimate.

I also found another shop that will charge $10/cylinder if I buy my pistons from them.

A third shop gave me a decent price over the phone for each individual bit of machining and then jacked the price up by 20% for each when I said I would be providing the parts...then they promptly hung up on me.

Take your time, research, and make sure you have all the tools available to assemble a motor...then get busy. Re-building an engine is not Black Magic, but it can be a daunting task for a first-timer.

Why isn't there a choice for both stroking & supercharging? I just picked up a Hesco supercharger to put on the 4.6. I will let you know how much a stock aw4 can hold.

junkjeep said:
Why isn't there a choice for both stroking & supercharging? I just picked up a Hesco supercharger to put on the 4.6. I will let you know how much a stock aw4 can hold.

Ditto on that...

I need forced induction for my 4.7 project...

Well gents I had to chime in on this topic cause i have a stroked 6 and it is the best thing i have ever done to my XJ and one of the easiest builds i have ever done for that matter. My only delimma is that i want more power from my 95 and with the computer being pre OBD 2 I don't have many options, so i called the guys at AJAX motorsports and they will sell my the 97 up to 00 harness to convert mine to the new gen harness and from there take the computer programing as far as i want to go ie achohl if need be. Now I am still running the AW4 tranning with the IPT tweaked valve body and american eagle performance rebuild on the rest, it will blaze second gear until i take my foot off the gas(DANA 44 3.73 gears Powertraxs) so slippage is not an issue for me, but i havn't saved up enough for the supercharger just yet so i will have to see what happens then.But Level Ten, that makes the super strong AW4's for the Supra's, said they can build one to take all the abuse i can give it however, it won't be cheap. JP magazine has an article on the 4.7 stroker build and the numbers on the dyno(look at the numbers with the larger injectors). The guys at Hesco have all the info also and lots of really great R&D products that made my build easy so don't forget them if you are thinking of stroking your motor. Well gents its been fun and I am looking forward to talking more about this later but I must get back to work. have fun out there and be safe!
Danny

Back