• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroke it? Blow it?

Stroke it or blow it

• Total voters
CW said:
With a .030 over the 199cid crank would bring displacement to 3.6L. On the desktop dyno it makes 226hp@5500 and 257ft/lbs@4000 with the normal performance mods and a port and polish. Thats NA at 8.50:1 CR. That motor would have serious potential when you give it some boost. Iv'e been wanting to build a high reving 4.0L for a while, and this idea is growing on me. What rods and pistons would you use with this? Would 4.0 rods and pistons give you enough height?

you would need to use the 199 rods or find some aftermarket ones from another motor to make up the diffrence.

Remember the following equation?

Deck height = rod length + stroke/2 + piston pin height + deck clearance

If we substitute some numbers as they apply to the 4.0 block using the 4.0 rods and 199 crank (3.00" stroke):

9.453 = 6.125 + 1.50 + piston pin height + deck clearance

If we go for a deck clearance of zero, the piston pin height needs to be 1.828" so basically you need a combination of custom pistons and 4.0 rods with the 199 crank to build a 3.5L (215.6ci or 3533cc) destroker engine.

Ok, i want to do about the same. My XJ is ready for a new engine and i want to do it right.theres alot more to just bolting in power when it comes to stroker kits, chargers and the rest of it.
But i just want to ask would this combo work?:

Snorkel
Accurate Power Supercharger
aftermarket throttle body (who makes a high quality one?)
Polished intake manifold
"Big Valve" Heads from Accurate Power
4.7L Accurate Power Stroker Kit
Aftermarket Ignition/Coil (Help!!!)
Borla Exaust/Muffler
Auto Tranny (Dont know what one i have)
NP231 T-Case W/SYE
Woody Shaft
E-Z Lockers/4.11 Gears (D35 rear; D30 disco front)
Aftermarket Brakes ( have no idea where to go for those)
33" BFG MT

if this combo wouldn't work what would i need to change? Maybe accurate power isnt best for this application, Would JRE's 5.0 stroker live as long as the 4.7 stroker? i dont know and i really get confused some times. Like srappy i want longevity along with the highest quality parts and most power i can squash out of the 4.0.
Thanks

www.gatorlandoffroad.com
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 Auto I6
4.5" Rough Country Lift 31" Liberators

The Accurate Power kits are fine. Just don't buy a long block stroker engine from them. They also have a 62mm TB for the Jeep 4.0 that costs $200.
Go for a 4.6L displacement by doing a 0.030" overbore. This'll leave enough meat in the block for a second rebore should this become necessary. If you do a 0.060" or greater rebore (4.7L or higher), the block will be trash if the cylinder walls wear out again.
The difference in HP/TQ between a 4.6L and a 4.7L displacement is miniscule and doesn't justify the bigger rebore.
You have the AW4 (Aisin Warner) auto tranny. It's strong enough to handle a stroker.
For an aftermarket coil, the MSD Blaster SS is the one to get.

89minijeep said:
Ok, i want to do about the same. My XJ is ready for a new engine and i want to do it right.theres alot more to just bolting in power when it comes to stroker kits, chargers and the rest of it.
But i just want to ask would this combo work?:

Snorkel
Accurate Power Supercharger
aftermarket throttle body (who makes a high quality one?)
Polished intake manifold
"Big Valve" Heads from Accurate Power
4.7L Accurate Power Stroker Kit
Aftermarket Ignition/Coil (Help!!!)
Borla Exaust/Muffler
Auto Tranny (Dont know what one i have)
NP231 T-Case W/SYE
Woody Shaft
E-Z Lockers/4.11 Gears (D35 rear; D30 disco front)
Aftermarket Brakes ( have no idea where to go for those)
33" BFG MT

if this combo wouldn't work what would i need to change? Maybe accurate power isnt best for this application, Would JRE's 5.0 stroker live as long as the 4.7 stroker? i dont know and i really get confused some times. Like srappy i want longevity along with the highest quality parts and most power i can squash out of the 4.0.
Thanks

www.gatorlandoffroad.com
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 Auto I6
4.5" Rough Country Lift 31" Liberators
well the first thing to go would be the 35rear and can hear it crying iform here say please don't hurt me. honestly that much power will destroy it. with a little work you can upgrade you barkes with out much hasle. ignition get a good set of wires and i run bocsh +4s and love them. there are a I think any good aftermarket coil will work. just stay away from jacobssystems.

Here's a list of engines that I'd like to see in an XJ:

>>5.7L Hemi Magnum....obviously
>>5.7L LS1....second choice behind Hemi
>>4.2L Vortec inline 6 from GM...still inline 6 power, just a lot more of it!
>>2.4L SRT-4 engine....replace the 4.0L inline 6 with a little Mopar 4 banger and gain 100hp while loosing weight? What's not to like?
>>built Honda K-motor with pink cam covers...."You got beat by a pink Honda engine!" :eek:
>>Renesis engine...tiny engine, way cool...room for extra batteries and maybe a hi-lift jack under the hood.:)

Seriously though, a modern turbo4 can make enough power to compete against some of the other options. It also can get better gas mileage, can be more steetable, is lighter, and leaves lots of room in the engine bay. The SRT-4 engine would have to be seriously detuned to make the level of power that the 4.0L-HO engine makes.

Also, besides the V8s, all of these engines have the exhaust on the passenger side.

Last edited:
Problem with putting a turbo 4 cylinder into an XJ would be the torque it makes. It doesn't have the displacement to create the low down torque it needs to help get the vehicle moving. If it was a good idea to do something like that, I'm sure there would be SUV's coming from the factory with that.

aspera said:
Here's a list of engines that I'd like to see in an XJ:

>>5.7L Hemi Magnum....obviously
>>5.7L LS1....second choice behind Hemi
>>4.2L Vortec inline 6 from GM...still inline 6 power, just a lot more of it!
>>2.4L SRT-4 engine....replace the 4.0L inline 6 with a little Mopar 4 banger and gain 100hp while loosing weight? What's not to like?
>>built Honda K-motor with pink cam covers...."You got beat by a pink Honda engine!" :eek:
>>Renesis engine...tiny engine, way cool...room for extra batteries and maybe a hi-lift jack under the hood.:)

Seriously though, a modern turbo4 can make enough power to compete against some of the other options. It also can get better gas mileage, can be more steetable, is lighter, and leaves lots of room in the engine bay. The SRT-4 engine would have to be seriously detuned to make the level of power that the 4.0L-HO engine makes.

Also, besides the V8s, all of these engines have the exhaust on the passenger side.

5.7 Hemi Magnum: Lots of power and torque. Yes please!
5.7 LS1/LS6: Even better than Hemi and lighter. Sweeeeet!
4.2 I6 Vortec: Front axle goes through oil pan so forget it.
2.4 SRT-4 Turbo: Not enough low rev torque.
2.0 Honda V-TEC: Revs to high heaven but little torque.
RX8 Renesis Rotary: Same problem as V-TEC.
4.6L Stroker: The best choice. No fabrication needed since based on 4.0. Torque not far behind LS1 up to 3500rpm.

I agree with Doc Dyno in the sense of real world ease of modification. Without intending to offend, I submit that thinking outside the box is a good thing...the bottom line is how innovative and doable an idea is...the thing to remember is that among the fine people involved in this association the usage of their XJ's runs from hotrod street to desert racers to mud boggers to trail riders to hardcore rock climbers...what works well for one group may be completely off base for another...even among groups of similar interest there are differences...define the objective, research the possible avenues, get a clear understanding of the cost (initial outlay and continued maintenance) and build it.

Dawg

MudDawg said:
I agree with Doc Dyno in the sense of real world ease of modification. Without intending to offend, I submit that thinking outside the box is a good thing...

Definitely so. There's plenty of V8's in the junkyards looking for a new home so recycling any one of them is possible. It's probably better to get the tranny that came with the engine as well so that you don't need to look for bellhousing adapters etc.
Just keep in mind when doing a V8 swap that there's going to be a lot of downtime, so it's OK if it's a spare project vehicle but it may not be convenient if it's your daily driver. If you have the fab skills, tools, space, and know how, there's nothing stopping you from getting really creative.
If you do source a V8 engine with tranny from a junkyard, keep in mind that you'll need other ancillaries such as engine/tranny computer, EFI system, fuel pump and fuel lines, wiring harness, sensors, ignition module, distributor, etc. to make it all work.

a local maschine shop here said that they would do a 350 swap for about $1g more than a stroker kit. Go with an old school v-8 with no computer, buy a 350 or 327 out of an old chevy truck and build it. then you don't need to worry about a ecu, and all of that computerized b.s.

Yeah, running a carb on an old 350 SBC would certainly simplify things but you can expect gas mileage to be at least 5.0mpg less than that from an EFI 4.6 stroker. Something to think about if you're concerned about gas prices now that crude is over $40 per barrel.

well question for the smart ones out there, would a AMC 360 v-8 fit well into a cherokee, if so would an ax4 handle that kind of power?

I've been looking for more power to tow my trailer with. I have found that all my mods have not helped all too much. I love the idea of the supercharger (makes me drool), but think that a stroker is a better buy when it comes to reliability. $$ isn't necessarilly a factor (within reason) when it comes to me getting a good engine. I have been looking at Jakes Racing Engines, they offer up to a 5.0 bore that produces 320 HP and 360 ft.lb. torque. I do not trust my skills at this point to build a stroker, so i am looking to buy a long block. I want enough power to tow my 24', 4200 lb. trailer with relative ease. Im interested in the 4.6 and up. Am i better off getting a long block 4.6 and getting it supercharged, or going with the 5.0? I have done work on many a vehicle, but do not have enough experience to make what i would consider to be an educated choice. Any help is appreciated... i know i will ahve to beef up the drivetrain and all that stuff, i am concentrating on the motor for now. For all i know, the 4.6 could be enough to make me happy on it's own.

The JRE 5.0L stroker looks great on paper and delivers lots of power, but it does have some downsides:

1. It's very expensive.
2. It'll need to run on premium fuel.
3. The cylinder walls are wafer thin due to 4.00" bore so overheating could deform them and ruin the block.
4. The 4.06" stroke crankshaft is very expensive to replace if the engine goes belly up.
5. Cooling is a major issue and your cooling system will need to be A1 to handle the heat produced by this beastie.

The 4.6L long block is a safer bet and more likely to last longer. The cylinder walls are thicker and less likely to deform because the cylinders are only bored 0.030" over. If you're not satisfied with stroker power alone, you can add a turbo or supercharger to it.

What about this: My 99 4.0L engine only has about 20,000 miles on it. Seems crazy for me to stroke it for more power at this point. Would anyone recommend a blower for someone in my situation? I would think that for me it would be better to get a blower now and then do a stroker set up for a blower when the engine finally goes down the road. What do you think?

marcus

Stroke it AND blow it....

Got a 4.7 that's gonna get an eaton m90 on top running a safe modest 4-6 psi...

I'd love to go with the Kenne Bell but the wife would "make me sleep on the couch"

wish I had a desktop dyno prog...

Gil "need bigger axles" Bullycatz

Back