• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strengthening my rear

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
Spent the weekend on the rear end of the Jeep. I took a couple of pictures and thought I would post.

I won on Ebay, aTeraflex disc brake kit, minus the calipers.
Chromoly Dana44, 30 spline shafts installed with new bearings, seals and studs. No real issues other than the Teraflex spacers not cooperating and the gear oil and brake fluid mess.

100_2521.jpg

New leaf springs, 5" Full Traction installed with the 4* shims (nice clamp, huh).
100_2524.jpg

7 leaf Military wrap springs. They are about 3/4" longer on the front and 1 1/2" on the rear.
100_2525.jpg

I needed to move my shackle back a hole to maintail the proper angle. (before)
100_2527.jpg

(after)
100_2537.jpg

Teaser shot with the new kicks on.
100_2538.jpg

Still need to pick up the calipers, weld the brake tabs and bend the brake lines. I bought Teraflex parking brake cables, but I think they may be too long. After that, on to the front.

Kelly, what issues were you having with the Teraflex spacers? When we did my dad's disk conversion I know that there is precious little room to get the spacer into the right position. Is this what you are talking about or was it something more serious? I'm planning to do this conversion in a couple of months, was thinking about tack welding the spacers to the backing plate while I have it all apart.

The disk brakes off a Dana 35 or zj Dana 44 bolt up to the older xj 44's. The flange that hold the axle shaft in is diff for disk and drum brakes. The drum brake flange is flat and the disk brake one has a lip to push the seal in past the caliper bracket. Save the money go to pick n pull and pick up the mounting caliper mounting brackets. Then new calipers and rotors from the parts house. (I don't trust pnp brake calipers). Easy easy

Nice work.

Not sure if you know but I talked to Teraflex a while back and they said that there disc brake kit uses explorer calipers (or uses the same thing just says there name on them). Just in case you did not know and might be looking to buy new ones from TeraFlex you might be able to save some dough and get them at the parts store.

Thanks. Ya, 1995 to 2001 Explorer calipers are a direct fit. Wish I had cores. Most places want more for the core than the new caliper. I'll pick them up at Monument Auto tomorrow.

Kelly, what issues were you having with the Teraflex spacers? When we did my dad's disk conversion I know that there is precious little room to get the spacer into the right position. Is this what you are talking about or was it something more serious? I'm planning to do this conversion in a couple of months, was thinking about tack welding the spacers to the backing plate while I have it all apart.

Just the spacer moving around. I used bearing grease to hold the spacer. Tack welding is the best option.

The disk brakes off a Dana 35 or zj Dana 44 bolt up to the older xj 44's. The flange that hold the axle shaft in is diff for disk and drum brakes. The drum brake flange is flat and the disk brake one has a lip to push the seal in past the caliper bracket. Save the money go to pick n pull and pick up the mounting caliper mounting brackets. Then new calipers and rotors from the parts house. (I don't trust pnp brake calipers). Easy easy

I would not have started this project without fully researching it.:twak: There are plenty of good write ups on the net, so I didn't feel the need to retype them.;)

Tj backing plates are what i used...

I would not have started this project without fully researching it.:twak: There are plenty of good write ups on the net, so I didn't feel the need to retype them.;)

Understandable... "kits" are simpler. But I'd rather not pay the extra coin. My .02 cents gets streched as Im just a kid...

Understandable... "kits" are simpler. But I'd rather not pay the extra coin. My .02 cents gets streched as Im just a kid...

I agree. My XJ has and always will be a budget build. I won the Ebay auction for the Teraflex kit for less than I would have paid to refurbish a set of pick and pull Explorer backing plates, lines and hardware. It was a no brainer to get the new parts.

Can't get the air out of the brakes.:gonnablow I hate brakes almost as much as I hate painting. I found the leak in the rear driver line. Mess with it tomorrow and then off to the alignment shop (free:D),

Expected 1/4" to 1/2" in the front (from 3 1/2" RE and 1 3/4" spacers to 5.5" RE coils) and got over an inch of lift. Go figure In the rear I went from 3 1/2" RE leafs, 1" shackles and shackle relocation brackets to 5" leafs and the same and gained only 3/4".

After installing the tires it looks like everything will flex great. I did modify the bump stops. Rusty's flares going on this weekend.

Are you using a bleeder or just cracking the valve? I have the best luck without a bleeder... Just have one of my kids or my wife manipulate the pedal... starting farthest from the MC and cracking the valve, have someone push the pedal to the floor and hold it there while you retighten the bleeder valve. If you repeat this four times at each wheel, moving to the next closest one each time it has worked every time for me, hundreds of times actually.

Back