• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stinky FAB VS. Rusty's Steering/WJ Conversion

no it isn't.

when i had WJ knuckles (on the bench, never installed them) i remember comparing them to the stock knuckle. i remember steering horn for the tie rod on the WJ knuckle sitting slightly lower and rearward of the steering horn on the stock knuckle. but it was a marginal difference... < 1/2" in the Z and X direction.

i agree that cross over steering is one of the big driving forces for the WJ swap. but there should be little to know issue (that you wouldnt have on stock knuckles) hooking up stock inverted Y steering to the knuckle, and ignoring the steering horn intended for the drag link.

It sits about 1/2 lower, not enough to matter unless you are at the point that you should not be running the stock steering anyways.

2h88di8.jpg

but that would be idiotic.

to start you'll have bump steer because the WJ lower steering arm sits lower than an XJ
you'll also have even worse clearance on the tie-rod because of this.

50% of doing the WJ upgrade is to improve the steering angles and trackbar angle on a lifted rig.

not worth doing without the steering.

I would agree, but its feasible depends on the trac bar angle ???

If someone wants to get me all the parts, I can do a before and after measurement with stock inverted y, wj inverted y and wj crossover. Just saying... :)

IIRC, there has been at least a couple people that did the WJ knuckle swap with stock-ish steering, and used a drop pitman arm to keep the angles close to as stock was.

You feel way too strongly about something that is not that much of a change concerning using stock steering and is a massive brake upgrade for XJ's.

I really don't feel that strongly about it.

I think it's idiotic, I wouldn't recommend it as a build path for anyone.

but if you do it, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I really don't feel that strongly about it.

I think it's idiotic, I wouldn't recommend it as a build path for anyone.

but if you do it, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

My initial impression of the question at first was merely "can it be done". As if maybe the person wanted to throw the knuckles and brakes on but not spring the coin for steering / track bar mount / etc.

I'd hope you wouldn't lose sleep over a person running stock steering on WJ knuckles. :confused1 :D

My main concern now is the fact that I am setting these axles up with out the lift being in place to check clearances (track bar, sway bar, etc). If anyone has done this feel free to spit some knowledge.

certainly its possible to hook them up.

still idiotic imo.

Dang, didnt mean to start a bitchfes t:shiver:

This Jeep is stock height, will not see any sort of offroading, seems silly to do anything but stock steering on such a vehicle.

I am going to try this swap later this summer, and will update the thread!

My setup is 4.5 lift and running factory JK Sahara wheels and tires, i also have jk rubicon wheels also. Both sets of tires are about 32". This is my DD now as I'm selling my truck. The braking is poor imop and i am in need of replacing the front pads and rotors anyway and would like to know if its worth doing rotors, black magic pads, and new stock calipers or should i use that money and put it towards a WJ conversion? I have no plans of going any bigger with lift or tires and i wont be wheeling this jeep much. It is primarily a in town DD only driven about 100 a week so I'm just trying to get some opinions on what y'all would recommend as a braking update for my setup? I'd love to just buy the Stinky Fab kit but I cant drop 1900$ all at once. Piecing together the kit would be my choice but it still appears to be costing over 1000 for any wj conversion without using all junk yard items. Any ideas would be appreciated.

black magic pads and premium rotors are an upgrade.

WJ even with mid grade pads is a significant upgrade from that.

WJ with BM pads and premium rotors is pretty much as good as it gets for a d30. save the 17" BM kit.

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to do the upgraded XJ brakes with BM pads and premium rotors and just save for a full WJ conversion. I wish there was a way to do the brakes first and then piece together the steering later but it sounds like that is not recommended...
Which rotors do y'all recommend to pair with the Black Magic pads?

Centric Premium.

you can get them from BM when you order the pads.

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to do the upgraded XJ brakes with BM pads and premium rotors and just save for a full WJ conversion. I wish there was a way to do the brakes first and then piece together the steering later but it sounds like that is not recommended...
Which rotors do y'all recommend to pair with the Black Magic pads?

You don't "have " to do the steering, I've been running mine now for several months with factory steering and Zero issues, and don't intend to change it!

P1080478_zpsubtwxyv0.jpg

Back