• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still no Heat wtf over

jeepdude25

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Im at a loss here. Ive been reading online all day on how to trouble shoot this issue. My 1991 has ha issues with the A/C and the heat since I came to own it. The other day the heater worked..ok now today it only blows cold. A couple weeks back the A/C worked good adn now it doesnt work. I dont really care if the A/C works ever again but I would really like the heat to wokr so I can drive to work without freezing. Any suggestions?
i know Troy messed with the blend doors for me awhile back and that seemed to help. But im not sure what he did. I dont think the heater core is jacked up because I do get heat very faint and sometimes it wokrs just fine.

Thanks Ryan

Open the hood and look at the heater control valve. Make sure it changes position with the heater on vs off.

Did you check the coolant level? In my 99 when coolant was low the heat would barely work, it would work at higher RPM when water was being pushed through at a higher rate, at idle it was very cool. Coolant would always go low because of a cracked head, but thats another story.

A quick check is to set teh ehater to full hot and check the return hose from the heater core to see if it is hot. The return line goes to the water pump. If both lines are hot, the fault is the mixer doors. If the return line does not get hot, the valve is at fault or the core is blocked.

Even if the linkage on the valve moves, it may be faulted internally. I am available to help you if you like. PM me for my telephone number. If nothing else, you can bounce ideas off of my pointy head...

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think you're having vacuum issues Ryan. Best bet would be to start with the vacuum "ball" canister that usually mounts behind the front bumper on the pass. side. Wherever you have that now (since you're running a winch bumper now) test it to ensure it's holding vacuum. Fire up the jeep, shut it off, then pull the hose connector off the side of the canister and it should "psssshhhh" air. if not, then you've got a leak somewhere between the engine vacuum source and the canister. Those plastic lines get brittle so it'll take some time and detail to look it all over.

I had one XJ that had a hair-line crack in the back plastic line that runs along the pass. inner fender down to the canister. Checked it several times but removed it entirely to replace it with another known good one I'd pulled off another XJ. The old one had a hair-line crack down near where it ran close to the battery.

Definitely look at the operation of your heat control valve that's in line with the heater hoses under the hood. With the engine running, note the position of the arm coming from the vacuum actuator. Then turn the heat on and then go check the position of the arm. It should have moved, opening the valve. If it's not, then check the actuator - take a length of vacuum hose and connect it to the vaccum port. Suck on the hose and see if the actuator moves. Hold the vacuum and ensure that it doesn't leak down (actuator arm moves in, then slowly moves out as you hold the vacuum).

Last thing to check would be the vacuum bulkhead connector on the back of the heater/AC control panel. These become problematic when they dry out, or if someone has done some stereo installation or other work in that dash area and either damaged the vacuum lines going into the bulkhead, or the bulkhead has come disconnected from the switch panel.

Another thing to check to be certain it's not an electrical issue...... turn the A/C on and ensure the compressor clutch is engaged and the clutch face is turning. This will ensure the electrical switch on the dash control is working and your system has pressure. If the A/C compressor is turning, and you're not getting cold air, the blend doors aren't moving to allow the cold air to pass through the box.

The fact that you've said that you sometimes get heat when its set to heat, and sometimes get A/C when it's set to cold suggests to me that - again - the vacuum system isn't working properly and the blend doors aren't moving into the positions they should. Very indicitive of vacuum leaks.

Thank you for the help Troy. I will track down the lines and replace I think. I will also consult with o-gauge-steamer to see if he can look it with me to show me what Im doing wrong or offer up suggestions. I generally leave the XJ in the garage all or most of winter due to the heat issue. I freeze in that sucker over winter. It would be nice to drive it now that the suspension and most of the issues have been fixed. Just need to see Clark about an alignment and get the heat working and Im set.

Vacuum issue. I found the reservoir on my '98 to have "micro-fractures" that although they could not be seen, leaked. Badly. I wound up giving the reservoir a glassfibre coat to seal it up. Amazing how much better things like the HVAC and the cruise control operate when the vacuum is correct...

Don't forget to do the famous heater core flush. Every XJ I've owned needed it including the '95. It was incredible what came out of Norbert. It looked like someone hucked a giant loogie in there.

Back