• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still debating f1ront or rear.

a few of you seem to have missed the fact that he is running a 29 spline 8.25.
lock the rear. its good for 33"s and a right foot that has a brain attached. replacement shafts are not terribly expensive but I doubt that youll break.

IMO lock the front.

most of the tires that end up in the air are front tires, i have never had a tire in the air on my rear end...
here is a pic of what im talking about (compliements of AshMan)

k18w4

i think being able to pull yourself up rather than push aginst something is much better...

i would be all for locking the rear if it werent a d35c... an upgrade to an 8.8 with LSD and 4.11 gears is about 300 if you find the right part...

as for the 242 - well dont use full time 4x4...

i have the front and rear locked but for a while i had just the front. i have ridden with heavily modified rigs and went just about everywhere they could go with my front locked only a guy i know had arb's and could unlock the front or rear and found he could make it much further with the front only than he could with the rear only. and then the d35 thing don't even bother with that i pulled an 8.8 front the yard and it is an awsome mod. also anyone who tells you you will have bad onroad manners with a front locker is wrong (unless it's a spool) i have driven with my aussie for some time now and it work excelent unless in 4w i don't fell a thing buy it and don't look back. might want to look into getting abs front axles they have bigger joints and are slightly larger.

XJ_ranger, the picture you posted has leafs in the front. Coils would've had more flex. :laugh3:

I am a firm believer in locking the rear over locking the front if you are going to only lock one or the other. Most of the time you need all the traction you can get for hill climbs and crawling UP over stuff. Well, when you are going verticle, most of the weight of the vehicle shifts to the rear tires. Having these locked works better than the front being locked since the front is really light now. Which in turn, has less of the tire touching the ground than the back (smaller footprint). You will get better results with the rear locked. Ran mine with the front only, not impressed. Ran it rear only, impressed. Front and rear locked, VERY impressed.

Last edited:
in one weekend I saw 2 TJs break their D35s on a mild section of Fordyce. They were both running 33s. They both got left and in the following weeks vandalized and stripped, one got stripped literally to the frame, tub and 2.5l motor. yes, it broke a D35 with 33s using a 2.5l on an easy part of a trail, and I don't even think the rear was locked.

moral of the story: DON'T LOCK A D35

Rawbrown said:
a few of you seem to have missed the fact that he is running a 29 spline 8.25.
lock the rear. its good for 33"s and a right foot that has a brain attached. replacement shafts are not terribly expensive but I doubt that youll break.
that was a later poster, the thread starter has a D35

Oops,
Thats what I get for not being on the board for a few days.
ok then. many will bag on this but the truth still rmains that unless your good in the junkyards, getting a super 35 kit is a good way to go with a budget. its safe for 33" tires and 4.88 gears. you can install it yourself with a few simple tools
BrettM said:
that was a later poster, the thread starter has a D35

Rawbrown said:
Oops,
Thats what I get for not being on the board for a few days.
ok then. many will bag on this but the truth still rmains that unless your good in the junkyards, getting a super 35 kit is a good way to go with a budget. its safe for 33" tires and 4.88 gears. you can install it yourself with a few simple tools
ask Poomba if a Super35 would have made his Fordyce trip any any shorter.

there are other faults with the D35 besides the carrier and shafts, the yoke and straps had half the Sierra Chapter up 'til 4am on that trip.

Back