• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel play

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
i searched, but couldn't find anything close to what my steering wheel play does. When I first start out in the mornings, there is a slight play in the wheel. When turning the steering wheel, either direction, there's about an inch play before the wheels react. There's even a slight click noise felt through the steering wheel. Here's the wierd part: when it warms up, it's not there anymore. It steers perfectly. Any ideas?

Mine is a little non-responsive first thing in the morning, not responsive 'til my serp. belt warms up and grabs. Can't adj. the tension, need to replace adjuster.

Slop in the steering can be any number of things. Loose gears in the steering box, the steering box is not tight against the frame, the tilt mechanism in the column is loose, the tierod ends are worn out, the ball joints are worn out, the track bar is worn out, the tires need alignment, a tire with a bad belt, a low tire, or worn out control arm bushings. No way to tell until you get someone who knows what to look for, under the car with someone rotating the steering wheel back and forth. Ideally a good alignment shop should be able to help, but most will syphon your wallet dry.

the serpentine belt may be the ticket. Mine does need to be replaced too. That would explain how it's fine after warm up. It only drives wierd like that for a few miles, then perfectly

my 93 does the same thing. It happens only when it is cold. after a minute or so the play is gone and it works fine. Never have the problem in the warmer months.

I attributed it to something in the power steering....after pump spins a while it warms up the fluid and the issue is resolved.

I have never seen a loose belt cause slop in the steering. I would bet a sixer that it is not the belt. If the belt is old, changing it cant hurt. Put the old one under the back seat for emergencies.

Most times it is the steering gear, sometimes referred to as a saginaw unit. There is a lash adjustment on the pump that can effect the play, but tightening it too much can destroy the pump.

old_man said:
I have never seen a loose belt cause slop in the steering. I would bet a sixer that it is not the belt. If the belt is old, changing it cant hurt. Put the old one under the back seat for emergencies.

Most times it is the steering gear, sometimes referred to as a saginaw unit. There is a lash adjustment on the pump that can effect the play, but tightening it too much can destroy the pump.

X2

Kent

make that X3. in my experience, it's quite common and if you can get used to it, nothing to really worry about. my '93 has about 200k miles and has done it since maybe 100-110k (i got it with ~90k)-it did get a bit better when i had to replace my PS pump, but it's not super-tight and i'm not very concerned. my '90 with 100k has a bit of the same. as far as i'm aware, a little play toward center is not only common, but does not tend to get really bad so long as everything is in mostly working order.

I've identified where the click is happening. It's the steering wheel pole, through the filewall, just past the 1st ujoint (right under the brake booster). There is a bushing type set up there, and when I turn the wheel, I can see a small turn of the pole before the rest of it turns. It makes a click, then turns. Is this normal or is there something in that steering rod that needs to be tightened?

Daveisdabomb said:
I've identified where the click is happening. It's the steering wheel pole, through the filewall, just past the 1st ujoint (right under the brake booster). There is a bushing type set up there, and when I turn the wheel, I can see a small turn of the pole before the rest of it turns. It makes a click, then turns. Is this normal or is there something in that steering rod that needs to be tightened?

sounds like a rag joint going bad.

found a pic of a rag joint, which is located down at the gear box. That is not what I'm talking about, this is a bushing looking piece on the steering pole underneath the brake booster. Does anyone else have a little play there? Is there some way to tighten it up?

hey i have the same thing but only in the winter. when i first start it up its goofy for about 5 seconds, i really think its just cold fluid or something else like that. my gear box, full steering system have been replaced since i have lifted.

-TIm

Could be the steering coupler which is worn or loose. Replace it. Otherwise check whether the gear is out of adjustment or needs tightening, your wheel bearings at fault or steering components loose. Its the process of elimination at work.

Daveisdabomb said:
There is a bushing type set up there, and when I turn the wheel, I can see a small turn of the pole before the rest of it turns. It makes a click, then turns. Is this normal or is there something in that steering rod that needs to be tightened?

I too have this exact symptom during the cold for the first few minutes. Length of time seems to vary according to ambient temp. It is not something I am content to live with either. It always wakes me up when entering a snowy corner...am I sliding, is it the steering?

Mine actually sqeeks where yours clicks. Also, I feel a slip in the wheel, as if the rod were jumping one tooth. 1/2 the joint must expand when the engine compartment heats up and creates a tighter joint.

Glad you found the source, now to look for the solution. I'll post what I find.

-Jon '94 @ 150K

Back