• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel flutter when coming back from turning

mtsz52784

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday i noticed that when i was coming back from a turn i felt a flutter in the steering wheel... so today i went to autozone to check out the fluid and it was little low so i put a bottle of fluid in and i still get some fluttering from the wheel. i.e. when turning left i feel the flutter when it comes back to the right and the opposite when turning right. Also i looked and don't see any leaks or anything like that...
Stock 00' 4.0 Automatic

Any noise or just the feeling in the wheel?

Is it a "loss" of steering or a kick. I'm not sure what a flutter is. If it is a jerk or kick, you are not out of 4X4. I had this w/ my 00'. I wasn't in 4X4 and the light was out, but I was still in. I adjusted my TC shifter linkage about 1/8" and problem solved.

Powerman said:
Is it a "loss" of steering or a kick. I'm not sure what a flutter is. If it is a jerk or kick, you are not out of 4X4. I had this w/ my 00'. I wasn't in 4X4 and the light was out, but I was still in. I adjusted my TC shifter linkage about 1/8" and problem solved.

Hey, thanks. I'm having similar trouble with my 99. I'll try adjusting the tc this weekend.

mrrbby said:
Hey, thanks. I'm having similar trouble with my 99. I'll try adjusting the tc this weekend.

I didn't think it was 4X4 related. I thought it was steering, cause I wasn't in 4x4. I posted up and got an answer and sure enough that was it. When you get under there it is real easy. You will see. But it only takes small adjustments. Right now it is not "out" of 4X4 enough, but if you go too far forward, you won't be able to get it in 4LO. Do you know what I mean? Adjust small and make sure you can get in and out of all your shift points.

its a feeling in the wheel ... no noises just a feeling in the wheel and i havent dont any 4x4 within the last month or so...?

Well ya. If your steering pump is going out, you would have a harder time steering, more effort. If your belt was slipping you would hear it. If it was a linkage thing you would feel pops and clicks. In other cars my power steering would pulse around corners, so I knew it was my power steering pump cause those were 2 wheel drive. I'm not certain it is 4X4, but if it kicks around tight corners it might be. I drove mine for months and months like that before I ever got into wheeling. It finally bugged me enough to look into it. That is all I can think of. You haven't really given much info to go on. I'm no expert on steering issues, I just though I would throw in my 2 cents. It is a very easy thing to try to rule it out. It takes 15-30 minutes max to get it right and then you would know. Plus it does not cost a penny.

Back