• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Shaft Popping

GA MIKE XJ

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: :confused: I have a 95 XJ with a RE 5.5" lift w/ 33's on 15x10 wheels. My problem is that everytime I turn the steering wheel, even slightly, I get a very pronounced popping. I think I've narrowed it down to the CV joint at the top of the steering shaft. I think it is binding. Does this sound right? Is this a major problem (could the steering go out while driving down the road)? What should :confused: I do to fix it?
Thanks for the help guys,
Mike

Could be the case. Mine has a good pop too but it didn't develop it until I had the lift on for almost a year. The shop told me it was the trac bar mount so I tightened it up and still popped. He eventually welded it to the frame and it stopped doing it for about 2 weeks. Now I'm back where I started and just turn up the stereo and forget it because it's too cold to mess with now.

I have a 92 with a three inch lift and mine did the same thing... actually there was a kind of grind and pop, especially when turning left. I initially expected the steering column also, but it turned out that the grinding was the trac bar mount. The bolts were loose and the rubbing had stripped them so I replaced them with two new grade 8 bolts and some lock washers and the griniding was gone. The popping sound was actually coming from the joint in the trac bar, and when I replaced the it the pop was gone.

Your situation might be a little bit different as I was still running the stock trac bar on three inches of lift. It was doomed to fail.

Dan

Back