• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gearbox bolts?

Cox89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Took my Jeep out the other day and my steering box turned loose. Ended up using the winch to cinch it back up to the frame in order to make it out of the mountains.
When I installed my winch bumper, I put the bumper braces along the frame and the power steering box bolts went through it. The best I can measure, it’s 7/16 grade 8 bolts 4.5 inches long. Is there any other MOD’s that will keep this from happening again? I guess I should periodically check the bolts for tightness.

If you didn't replace the OEM bolts with longer ones, you simply didn't have enough threads engaged. I would go with longer bolts and loctite them. I still check mine before and after every run.

I'm thinking they worked loose, then broke. There is still threads sticking through the housing, so they were plenty long. It's been so long, I can't remember if I installed longer bolts or not. I'm at work right now and have not had time to fix it yet. I've been hearing a poping noise, now I think I know what it was. I'll check them for tightness from now on. Thanks old man.

Make sure and check out the frame where the box mounts real good. They tend to crack there. Also make sure the crappy pot metal spacer hasn't cracked as well.

Back