• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box

troy6187

NAXJA Forum User
this is for all the guys that have moved their front axle forward a few inches...did you have any problems with the steering box or drag link? if you changed from a stock box what did you use? i swapped in a sbc and am looking to maybe move the box back to allow for a larger radiator. i have the room to move it and the skills to modify anything i need to, but im unsure if it will cause problems with anything. im in the process of flipping the steering using heims and dom and making room for a larger rad would be a big plus. from what i got from searching most guys had no problems after moving the axle forward without moving the steering box. please chime in and help a fellow jeeper out... i dont want to make an unsafe mod with my steering.

I installed a 350 in my '88, along with a Howe radiator, requiring steering box mods. I also found that the stock fan blades would hit the stock steering box. I determined moving the box back wouldn't work, when all side affects were considered, such as steering shaft clearance, etc. So I installed a WJ steering box that, along with appropriate mods to frame, and inner fender panel gave me the needed clearance for the bigger radiator.
Comparison, stock box vs WJ box.

install shot

What I did is not for the "feint of heart". I basically removed the inside and bottom of the front frame rail, then grafted in a shaped 3/16-2x6 tube into the rails. In the process, I extended the frame rails ~2 inches, and built a new front cross member. Lots of work, but besides gaining room for the larger radiator, the frame rails are super strong now.

troy6187 said:
this is for all the guys that have moved their front axle forward a few inches...did you have any problems with the steering box or drag link? if you changed from a stock box what did you use? i swapped in a sbc and am looking to maybe move the box back to allow for a larger radiator. i have the room to move it and the skills to modify anything i need to, but im unsure if it will cause problems with anything. im in the process of flipping the steering using heims and dom and making room for a larger rad would be a big plus. from what i got from searching most guys had no problems after moving the axle forward without moving the steering box. please chime in and help a fellow jeeper out... i dont want to make an unsafe mod with my steering.

How far forward are you moving the axle? You can get into clearance problems between the pitman arm and the tie rod depending on exactly what you do. Mine is 4" forward, which was a problem. I've found that in other vehicles when the axle is pushed forward, the steering box is usually also pushed forward to avoid clearance problems. If you're going to swap to the WJ box, you'll have to opportunity to move it forward if you're willing to do the extra work. I did not move mine forward for a number of reasons, one being that I already have a C-rok plate there, and I didn't want to frame forward any more than it is. I had to move the tie rod to be in front of the drag link.

Back