• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box upgrade

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm starting to notice a bit of play in my steering box. I got 2 different options to choose from for free. My brother has two boxes from YJ's sitting around and one from TJ (he's a Wrangler guy, but I don't hold that against him):rof:. Which would be a better swap? I'm running 32's right now, and moving up to 33's when I wear these out.

Thanks,
Chris

i've heard of people going with the YJ as an upgrade, but most go with the durango mod. I suggest you going and re-inforcing your bracket while you're at it.

I thought about the Durango upgrade, but I have access to a free steering box froma YJ or TJ. I already purchased some unibody brackets from JCR, just waiting until I swap the steering box to install them along with the new JCR steering box spacer.

IIRC the YJ box is a 4 bolt box and can be swaped to an XJ. Not sure about the TJ? Pressure and return lines might be different size than the XJ.

yj box will bolt in, you dont need the fourth mounting hole. the yj box isnt variable ratio like the xj one so itll turn faster on center... more "sporty." not sure if the TJ box is different or not as far as mounting/PS lines.

YJ box here. I bought the JCR 4-bolt mounting kit, but it suuuucked, so basically all I got was an inner plate for $100.

Only reason I went that way was because a friend of mine had just rebuilt and tapped the box on his YJ, then went full hydro. Got it for next to nothing including the assist ram.

Please say more on the JCR kit? First i've heard about the YJ mounting kit. As my steering box is starting to wear, I'm curious.

Please say more on the JCR kit? First i've heard about the YJ mounting kit. As my steering box is starting to wear, I'm curious.

Well now that i've gone back to JCR's web site... The 4 bolt mounting plate isn't there, along with the XJ tail light boxes. I see they have made a some on changes to there site. Maybe someone else carries it?

Ran and hated the yj box swapped back to xj box and hyd assist

So, nothing on the TJ swap? Looks like I'm gonna go with the YJ box. Should I use the spacer from the YJ and drill the 4th hole, or use the one from JCR and only use the 3 bolts?

That sounds like a plan. It will be at least a week or two until I get the time to remove the steering box from the wrangler. I just ordered a drop pitman to throw on while I'm at it.

Yup, the 4th bolt hole runs right through the top sheet metal of the unibody, so you have to drill sideways through a horizontal piece of metal in a really awkward spot. I tried and gave up.

I already have outer frame plates with my Rigidco bumper. Took off the driver's side to replace it with the JCR plate, but the JCR holes didn't line up at all. Ended up welding a tab onto the Rigidco outer plate for the 4th hole. Used the JCR inner plate though. Coulda just bought that and saved about $70.

Before you jump on the steering box as the problem, I would really go over the front with a fine tooth comb. I rebuild and port a ton of steering boxes for people but I hate to say many times the box does not fix the problem and people get frustrated. I hate it when that happens.

Back