• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Problems

WheelinKy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm clueless here, I cant get my 94 to start. The battery is good, the grounds on it are good, it has a new starter, and alternator. When I turn the key there is nothing, not even an attempt from the starter. A friend of mine barrowed it recently. While he had it he replaced the alternator, and yes he did unhook the battery (so he says) when he drove it back he had to jump start it. It made it back to my house but now it wont start at all, even with a jump. I've been told the computer was fried by the guy at advanced auto, and another told me the alternator, and starter were fried. There is also no brake lights, or headlights. Any clue guys?

Well I'm not sure if I'm correct with this one, but even if the computer were fried, I think the engine would still crank (I'm basing this off the fact that I had my computer on my 92 unplugged and it still cranked).

It's not the computer if it doesn't even crank. How about the neutral safety switch? Try jiggling the shifter, and move it from park to neutral, and see if anything at all happens then.

When you turn the key does anything at all happen? Any dimming of lights, lighting of idiot lights, etc.? If absolutely nothing happens, I'd suspect the ignition switch too.

If it dims and clicks but doesn't turn over, check the battery connections, cables, etc. first, and then the starter and starter relay.

No lights? Nothing? Go to the power distribution center and start checking with a test light. The battery cable goes to the starter and to pdc. Are all the fuses good?

Fixed. The battery even though shows a charge on the charger is bad, also the starter solonoid was contaminated with oil from a previous oil leak. the auto store replaced it for free, now it starts with a jump. I'll try to charge the battery again tonight. Thanks for your input.

Back