• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter issue

NewBreedCustom

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ with 211,XXX. I replaced the starter about a year and a half ago, now when I start my jeep, it cranks real slow and right before it fires up it grinds on the fly wheel. I checked all my cables, cleaned grounds. Am I looking at an issue with the actual starter or something else? Thanks

Id say pull the starter and check to see if there are any teeth ground down. Do the same for the flywheel. Turn at the crank. Mine was grinding bad before i swapped my motor. Found that some teeth were gettin jacked up for some odd reason.

Sure, you're saying it cranks slow so you have to wonder about the power supply. Starters pull a lot of amperage so subpar cables will cause your exact problem.

Know how to do a voltage drop? If not, here: use a multimeter, set to V DC. Put the leads on opposite ends of the same cable, IE positive terminal at the battery and the other lead at the positive terminal on the starter. Have someone crank the starter and watch the readout. Should be under a half volt, that is what voltage is being consumed in the cable. Now do it again on the negative cable to the engine block.

Ohms test of the cables is not a valid test in this application.

Just thought of another, easier test to do first. Disconnect the crank sensor so it won't fire and crank it over for 10 seconds. Cables hot? Replace.

Useless update, while getting ready to to a drop voltage check I didn't even need to. There was a very large gash in my positive cable. Must have happended when my motor mount broke. Thanks for the help Jacobs

Back