• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter click?

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
93 xj 4.0 auto
so the previous owner just put a jumper wire in the place for the starter relay and that is the only way it will get power to the starter. i have tried other relays and new relays and everything and it won't work like intended. in fact the only spot that seems to work in the relay box is the fuel pump.

on to the real problem, the starter would click and not start every once and a while but now it does it almost every time and just won't start. what is the deal?

do i need to just get a new starter and/or solenoid or should i get a new relay/fuse box first?

greatly appreciate any help, thanks
nate

Hallo. In the circuit of the starter are 2 fuses. Ignitionswitch can be the problem, because it is making contact in the starterrelay and from there to the NSS to ground. So there are several possibilities to check the starter. Is the battery condition ok and the groundingcables?

Last edited:
the battery is great, it still has full power and the alt is still working great too. as far as the ground cables go, i will mess with all the connectors tonight and see if i can get a different outcome but i just have to think that the relay box is the number one suspect. i took out the jumper wire and put in a relay that i know is working and it doesn't even try to start. the a/c and aux fan spots in the relay box don't work either unless i jump them. i think the only working ones are the fuel pump and the auto shutdown (don't even know what that is but if i pull it the jeep dies), so yeah.

i also should probably mention that when i attempt to start it like this and it clicks, its like the whole jeep loses power... i lose my radio clock and presets and everything... i hope this info helps!

as far as the fuses go, can i just follow the wire between the batt and ignition switch and find the fuse? is it inline or in the fuse box?
same thing with the other wire from the batt to the relay, can i just follow that one as well?

thanks a bunch for your help i appreciate it, especially since i depend on the xj for my daily...

Hallo. I would take out all the fuses and clean and test them. Look special to #6 60 Amp blue. Switch all the relays, they are all the same.
Also check the wires between the battery and the fusebox. (in enginebay)
Under the fusebox ,there are a lot of connectors....... :shhh:
Did you test the starter? There can be a short. Bridgewire the #30 and #87,when ok it starts. And connect the big contacts on the solenoid, when ok it spins.

Last edited:
If you are loosing power like that, either you have a short to ground in the relay circuit, or your battery is extremely weak. But you say that you can jump the relay and it works, so it must be a short in the circuit that activates the relay.

actually i tested the starter like wim suggested by jumping 87 and 30 and the starter works like a dream. i think it is strictly an electrical problem. and this is where it gets frustrating... i shuffled the relays around because i wanted to put in some extras i have since i don't have abs i just put them in the extra slots so i have spares and its the darndest thing... i put a relay in the starter position and it started right up. last time i took out the jumper wire and tried a relay it wouldn't even try. i am hoping that when i checked all the fuses and relays it fixed a short, but when i get home tonight i will crawl under it and check the starter connections and the power and ground to the fuse box.
thanks guys, hopefully it is all sorted tonight and i don't have to pick your brains anymore.

Back