• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ssince everyone hates fram,what are frams clones?

I've been running a Fram for 2 years now and haven't had any problem with them. But I did find it kind of weird that when I needed to change my parents oil the other day, and Autozone was closed, I walked down an all orange isle at K-Mart.

Apparently I won't be using Fram anymore.

I've been quiet about this Fram thing for a long time, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've used nothing but Fram filters since Sears stopped selling filters (in the 60's ?).
I drove my 86 Nissan V-6 pickup to 273,000 miles and the engine still went a quiet 4,000 miles between changes. I have 110,000 on my Cherokee up country and plan to get 250,000 on Fram Filters.

bar said:
I've been quiet about this Fram thing for a long time, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've used nothing but Fram filters since Sears stopped selling filters (in the 60's ?).
I drove my 86 Nissan V-6 pickup to 273,000 miles and the engine still went a quiet 4,000 miles between changes. I have 110,000 on my Cherokee up country and plan to get 250,000 on Fram Filters.

I've used Fram filters when I was younger. I started hearing horror stories about engines failing due to the Fram oil filters, plus the internet reviews (I'm sure eveyone has seen) such as http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html made me switch to wix.

I just gotta wonder how Fram got such a bad reputation. There has to be some truth to the stories? :dunno:

I will admit, I've personally never had an engine go bad because of any fliter.. :farmer:

This thread has me all worked up, I have 230,000 and most oil changes have been fram, or various oil change places when out of town. Sound like its not a bad idea to just switch and not worry about it.

Hey someone said "with 3 jeeps all taking the same filter I buy them by the dozen or more and get a better price." how do you do that

just go to your local parts store and see if they'll cut you a discount for buying a case. most places will.

an oil filter that has a cardboard valve = not a good thing. For a buck or maybe two more ya can have a real filter ( I use napa gold) and have no worries and no cardboard.

97xjstock said:
check this out,,,,,,get a cup of coffee though,,,,,,LOTS to read but should settle this issue
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

do i hear sticky for that link?

Just remember that this is only for one particular filter. The other sizes may be different. The off-brands may use different suppliers for different brands and suppliers may change over time. The informal study does highlight show that Fram appears to use lower quality components.

What we need is a study to determine what level of quality is necessary and what is overkill. For example more filter surface area is irrelevant so long as the filter is still flowing adequately when its changed out. Actually too much filter material might be worse as a partially loaded filter filters better, but has a lower flow rate. Quality of the drainback and bypass valves is only an issue if they leak too much.

Personally, I prefer the Napa Silver over Fram. I have noticed that when running a Fram, the oil pressure takes a few seconds longer to come up when I start the vehicle. The Fram filter was usually empty when I changed it, meaning it was leaking back into the engine (although the bonus was a less messy oil change). I also noticed about 5-psi lower oil pressure after running the Fram for a few thousand miles, compared to the Napa meaning the filter is starting to get overloaded.

I'd rather pay the extra $1 per filter and go with something that I trust. Does it truly make a difference in the end? Maybe.

PW1XJ99 said:
I just gotta wonder how Fram got such a bad reputation. There has to be some truth to the stories? :dunno:

I used Frams for years and years. That is, until one of them failed on me and caused a 0 psi condition at idle. Dang that pissed me off. :gonnablow
I now gladly spend a couple bucks more on my filters (which is kinda ironic since I buy cheap oil and change everything on a 2k mile cycle). :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Mobil filters are Purolator clones.

Just changed one on my GC today, and I was suprised to see
Produced by Arvin Meritor Brentwood,TN

The part number matched the Purolator part number also.

Back