• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ssince everyone hates fram,what are frams clones?

I've been using Fram for years with no ill effects. I actually happen to like the new Sure Grip top that allows me to install/remove the filter without a wrench :eeks1:

Over the years, the only filter I felt uncomfortable with was a Hastings, and that was not on an XJ. Changing your oil and filter per the schedule in the owners manual will do more for your XJ than not running a particular (name brand) filter.

just my 2c

So what's so bad about Fram filters? I've used them on every single filter requiring piece of machinery I've ever owned(cars, tractors, generators...) and never have I ever had any ill effects and that's atleast a million miles, litterally.

I use the NAPA gold. For oil, I use Mobil 1 10w30. I use the NAPA filters in every car I have except my wife's Kia. That car is new with only 5k on it, and I just go to the dealer and buy a Kia filter over the counter. I don't want to be busted for some kind of engine failure and have them blame the aftermarket filter.

Just having an aftermarket filter on your car will NOT void the warrenty if there is an internal engine failure unless it can be proven that the filter was the cause (i.e. threads on filter tapped incorrectly causing filter to become loose, or filter material coming apart and going into the engine, etc). I work for Lexus, and I've seen both. Both times they were from Jiffy Lube. Kinda sucked for the customer because they had to pay for the engine replacement and then seek reimbursement from Jiffy Lube afterwards. The engine for an RX300 is $15,000 installed for a new one.

pikey77 said:
Why doesn't anyone just use MOPAR filters? They're only 6 or 7 bucks.

MOPAR = Low bid + a fresh coat of paint. They'll change suppliers for a penny. Doesn't mean they are bad, but you are just buying a $3 puralator with a fancy paint job.
I have used Mobil 1, Amsoil, Purolator, Bosch, Fram!!, but have settled on NAPA Gold (wix) lately.

Last edited:
I don't "Hate" Frams oil filters I treat them just like pickeled eggs and beer which give me the hershey squirts, I don't like the hershey squirts so I stay away from pickeled eggs and beer.
I use Mobil1, Mopar, K&N and I just tried wix on my jasper motor as thats what they come with..

KarlVP said:
So what is wrong with Fram filters? I have used them for years with no problems.

If your engine blows because your filter gets sucked into it, the filter company should pay for it.

Do a search on mini-mopar study, guy covers them pretty well..

I always use Napa Gold (AKA WIX) oil filters. :cheers:

The Napa air filters are also made by WIX...
wink.gif

Purolator is made by ArvinMeritor. Fram is made by Allied-Signal. Purolators are not rebadged Frams. I use Purolator Pure ones exclusively.

BA

Wix and all the names they fall under are good. The best hands down is Baldwin.

BAs96XJ said:
Purolator is made by ArvinMeritor. Fram is made by Allied-Signal. Purolators are not rebadged Frams. I use Purolator Pure ones exclusively.

BA
It's also color-matched to my XJ.

products_pure_main_pic2.jpg

KarlVP said:
So what is wrong with Fram filters? I have used them for years with no problems.

If your engine blows because your filter gets sucked into it, the filter company should pay for it.

I've noticed longer times for the oil pressure to come up on cold starts and lower oil pressure after a few thousand miles. The new Fram filter I cut open had a poor fitting pressed-cardboard bypass valve instead of metal. The filter material was also of a noticeably lower quality than the Napa Silver (Wix) filter I cut open. I generally buy the Napa Silver for a $1 more than the Fram.

A sure sign of cheap quality is when it's the only Brand that Walmart carries.

On the guy that had the filter sucked in the engine, Chrysler was legally correct to void the warranty. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act says they can't void the warranty unless it can be proven that the aftermarket part was responsible - it obviously was in this case.

Just how serious are you about longevity?

On a stock 4.0, then Wix is a good choice, as is anything Ford/Motorcraft.

On my brand-new 4.6 stroker, I'm running K&N, because they have a warranty beyond compare- they replace what they screw up.

I also have a "pre-oiler", that pumps out the stored pressure from a resoviour, into the journals before the engine cranks. In most parts of the country, it isn't an issue- but when I'm getting ready to turn over this animal in -20 degrees, I like hearing the gentle "swoosh", and watching the oil pressure gauge jump up to 30+ psi, BEFORE the motor cranks.

I'm almost 2.5K into motor mods, on an already 15 year old Jeep I'm keeping until I die, so it's all in how "in depth" you are. Alright, Wix is a fairly good choice, I used it on my stocker... Motorcraft is #2, if #1 isn't easily accessible.

A blatently-stolen idea from "enginepreoiler.com". I have access to tons of copper tubing and caps, 12V solenoids and teflon/stainelss braided tubing, so the install was really easy- but I could help others, if they're interested.

I purchased the brass "T"'s locally at a plumbing shop, but everything else was "scrap" in the plumbing/piping outfit where I work. Anyone could do the same without my resources, for under $100.

mtnxj said:
I can tell you as a former service advisor for Daimler Chrysler, Fram is the ONLY filter that DC specifically states AUTOMATICALLY voids the engine warranty if installed. How do I know this? We had to tell a guy with less than 2k miles on his '05 diesel that he had to buy his new engine out of pocket after the Fram filter was sucked into the engine causing it to sieze. $12k later, he was driving his truck again and had himself a nice little lawsuit against Fram. IMHO, you can never go wrong with Wix filters.

There was an ACT OF CONGRESS (I forget the name) that made it ILLEGAL for a manuafacturer to void warranties because the customer used aftermarket parts.

Of course, in this case, the filter appears to have actually CAUSED the failure, so it's a valid argument. Fram will probably come back and say that he used the wrong filter for the application... or some such garbage.

Basically, whatever screws the customer best. That's the rule.

Den

KarlVP said:

But wouldn't it have been better for it to NOT GET SUCKED IN in the frist place?

My VW taught me the value of my time. Sure, they paid for everything... but it was a PITA to have to go back to the dealer every coupla months for some stupid crap...

Den

BskisXJ said:
I use Purolator Premiums, they are pretty good as well as priced.
Here, read this, says it all.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

After going through it, it looks like Quaker State, Pennzoil and Mopar filters are Frams.

The mopar one can vary, when mopar puts out a request for bids the filter has to meet their specs and their specs don't include cardboard anti-drainback valves, they're not going to put a filter in that they may have to eat the price of a new motor on.
I tend to buy Mobil-1 and K&N now, with 3 jeeps all taking the same filter I buy them by the dozen or more and get a better price.

Back