• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

square driveshaft?

Gravel Maker said:
Yes, the Toyota guys have used these for a while and they have proved their worth. But some of you might have an opinion that Toyotas aren't real wheelers too.

exactley my point, its pathetic seeing naxja members that are looked up to on here have such narrow minds to ideas if they come from yota guys. after spending years of research in both yotas and jeeps, the toyota forum on pirate has hands down the most valuable creative tech on the website.

and to say toyota guys arnt wheelers or are punk kids try reading this thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473741

brings a tear to my eye

Gravel Maker said:
I had no idea this would bring out the best in everyone....

Yes, the Toyota guys have used these for a while and they have proved their worth. But some of you might have an opinion that Toyotas aren't real wheelers too.

The truth of the matter is that when you don't have any money and you have a trashed 'shaft they are an alternative. Personally I like to be able to use the front axle too in the snow and like a more vibration free ride. I opt for a smaller but thicker tube.....A retube really isn't too expensive.

Dan Fredrickson
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

It has nothing to do with being an idea common in Toyota circles - I just want someone to explain to me the benefits - because it just don't seem workable to me. I could be wrong - it's happened before. I'm always willing to be convinced, but convincing me does take a little work (I tend to rely on facts - I'm an engineer by nature, and by education in a few more years.)

So it's not "narrow-mindedness" on my part - it's just something that is outside of my experience and seems to defy logic. Perhaps it's just time to update my premises, that's all.

5-90

You know, its not really that common. Its' the kids, they don't have any money and they will try things you and I learned years ago that those ideas were wrong, but nobody told them they were bad ideas and they figured a way to make them work. Ingenuity driven by the lack of a paycheck, and they turned to toy trucks because they are so cheap, the same group owns a bunch of XJ's for the same reasons, they are fun to wheel and you can do a lot with a little.

And they come up with alot of good ideas too! You know them, they have the music cranked and their rigs have been over a whole bunch of times.....

Dan Fredrickson

Last edited by a moderator:
5-90 said:
It has nothing to do with being an idea common in Toyota circles - I just want someone to explain to me the benefits - because it just don't seem workable to me. I could be wrong - it's happened before. I'm always willing to be convinced, but convincing me does take a little work (I tend to rely on facts - I'm an engineer by nature, and by education in a few more years.)

So it's not "narrow-mindedness" on my part - it's just something that is outside of my experience and seems to defy logic. Perhaps it's just time to update my premises, that's all.

5-90
longslip and strong while being very cheap. what don't your understand about those benefits?

olivedrabcj7 said:
Driveshaft is upstream from the diffs so those ratios are probably invalid. just food for thought. :read:
the total crawl ration was including the diffs but the lb/ft wasn't.
350x3.83x2.72x2.72=9,917.5552lb/ft. If I add the diffs I get 50,877lb/ft. Look, I may have over generalized at first and I didn't mean to start a toy vs jeep debate. I wheel with toy guys and it amazes me how well that junk holds up. It's been said before but, why build a square shaft when it takes close to the same amount of work to make a less booty fab round shaft? I have two spare shafts I made for 50 bucks total so I don't see a cost benefit, add to that the impossibility of balance and a noisy, loose fitting slip section and I don't see why you would do it. I don't see the need for that long of a slip either, I have plenty of travel and my driveshafts have never been an issue.

BrettM said:
longslip and strong while being very cheap. what don't your understand about those benefits?

I don't see a problem with those benefits - I just hadn't thought of them myself before (I've got enough to chew on...) and no-one had explained them to me. That's why I was wondering - I'd heard a lot of "good idea/bad idea," but neither side explained them to me, so I was still wondering...

5-90

Wow, this is amazing not one of you has said yea check here! And for the record I do not even have a SYE so it will not be a long slip shaft. Can anyone tell me where to buy the yoke so If I deceid to build a round shaft I dont have to pay my local DS maker $220..... ty

Ghost said:
Can anyone tell me where to buy the yoke so If I deceid to build a round shaft I dont have to pay my local DS maker $220..... ty

NO!

If I told you then you might go build a square shaft... Then I'd be like an accomplice.

:viking:

I've seen quite a few SWB jeeps use square shafts. Haven't heard of any problems with the shafts yet. If I were more comfortable with my welding skills I'd produce a couple of them myself.

why no sye? whats the point of making a square driveshaft then? just for a spare? if your really worried about strength and reliability get a sye so your not pulling out the yoke and bleeding the case.

GSequoia said:
NO!

If I told you then you might go build a square shaft... Then I'd be like an accomplice.

:viking:
Meanie!

Unfortunatly i live in the south and DS makers are rare.....

rocklandxjer said:
why no sye? whats the point of making a square driveshaft then? just for a spare? if your really worried about strength and reliability get a sye so your not pulling out the yoke and bleeding the case.
My DS is 37" long now the problem is the length and it hitting rocks b4 the tires. Two things will fix that a tru hi9 or dual cases. Both of which i will have by July of next year. Right now i want something that I can use in tellico this july.

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/weldyokesteel.htm
404-31wy.gif

Back