• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spray painting

paint ideas

• spray paint it save the cash

Votes: 78 72.9%
  • pay for a shinny paint job and forget the danna 44 i need

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • leave it how it is, a penny saved is a penny earned

Votes: 25 23.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rattle canned mine nearly 2 yrs ago and it still looks good. I went with flat black with "Cat" yellow on my diamond plate. The yellow has faded but the black is still black. I used Rustoleum "Hard Hat", great stuff after it dries for a few days. Prep is everything, I stripped much of mine to the metal. I also found that the two pin stripes down the hood had rusted and the sheet metal was pitted. A couple good coats filled the pits and all seems to be good.

Last edited:
Great thread, timely too. I'd been debating going with durabak without granules, MAACO, or rattlecans.

I'm thinkin' that Chevy Orange would be interesting...

i have a red 89 xj with that grey crap towards the bottom. uglier than my girlfriend. i got bored of it and bought some flat black spray paint. painted the sucker and looks pretty good. and a plus- if it gets scratched just paint it again. if i were you i'd rather spend money on the rig than the paint.

I was wondering if anybody had ever painted their entire jeep in black rustolium "Hammered" paint? I thought it might look cool. I will have to check if I can get hammered by the gallon.

andyr354 said:
I will have to check if I can get hammered by the gallon.

:shocked:

I prefer to get hammered by the pint :cheers: but whatever floats your boat

Paint jobs

If youtake a shot at painting yours, be ready to sand ,sand& resand, I sprayed my 59 cj 5 myself & it takes alot of prep work. If you decide to that route have a good HVLP gun, respirator,tack rags & most of all a lot of time & ambition. Just my 2 cents worth Dale [email protected]
Clear coat colors are a easy shot

I rattle canned my jeep (2nd 4wd vehicle I owned that I painted myself) it looks great and the paint has held up well after almost 7 months now and a lot of wheeling. I've noticed that my hood is starting to looka little dull, I think the dirt/sun is fading it a little, but it can be improved with another couple cans if I wanted to. The paint looks as good as a pro job, and I got a lot of compliments. It doesnt scratch much on the trail, but when it does it's easy to touch up.

I went with bright yellow over the old dull dark blue, it cost about $60 in paint to cover it and look even. On other vehicles I've since painted I stuck with darker colors and it only cost about $30. Make sure you buy enough paint for the whole vehicle - I ran out and had to drive to about 4 other walmarts before I found another one with the same color in stock. Buy a few (rectangular) razor blades and paint the WHOLE jeep, and scratch the windows back off. Make sure you mask off all plastic parts (like taillights) you dont want painted, the glass will scrape right off though.

My XJ is OD green, best mod I've ever done and the prep was minimal, no sandpaper required. Just used Scotchbrite pads (medium) and went over the entire surface, masked it off, wiped it down, spray spray spray, unmasked and it's done. The one thing I would never do is buy cheap spray paint, the worst I used was that crap OD green Krylon makes. Mine is entirely done in Hunter's Specialities paint. It does cost twice as much as the Krylon, but one can of that HS = about 3-4 can of Krylon.

Rev Den said:
pic18.jpg

There is always this

Rev

This was the rig the jamaican Bobsled team used in Cool Runnings...

I miss John Candy and SCTV... :cool:

andyr354 said:
I was wondering if anybody had ever painted their entire jeep in black rustolium "Hammered" paint? I thought it might look cool. I will have to check if I can get hammered by the gallon.

I did it in silver hammered, I could only find it in the qts but HD had the black in gallons. Pics coming in the next week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back